Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
It should be noted that the diff between 2 yrs and 3 yrs doesn't make any diff as to Mavs ability to make Hardy a RFA at the end. It's just adding one more year on the minimum, before a decision needs to be made on the next deal.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/1544350938286137346?s=20&t=C0IZIeG9pd2dWO_zvEf-HQ

Anyone know if this is legit or not?

(07-05-2022, 06:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: It should be noted that the diff between 2 yrs and 3 yrs doesn't make any diff as to Mavs ability to make Hardy a RFA at the end. It's just adding one more year on the minimum, before a decision needs to be made on the next deal.

Wouldn't the 3rd year be the difference between having full bird rights instead of just early bird rights if we only gave him 2 years?
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 06:07 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Wouldn't the 3rd year be the difference between having full bird rights instead of just early bird rights if we only gave him 2 years?

Yes, but no. The difference wouldn't matter, because you only need EB rights to match a 2-yr player. It's merely a matter of whether you want to match.
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 06:49 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yes, but no. The difference wouldn't matter, because you only need EB rights to match a 2-yr player. It's merely a matter of whether you want to match.

And technically, it can force the value down, since on a 2yr, the max is up to what the team can pay - even if another team could pay more.  But the flip side to that is the player just signing their QO and becoming UFA next year.  Like this season, with the mavs not having capspace, I think Early Bird rights allow someone to be signed to either 175% of their prior year salary, or 105% of league avg salary...  So I think that is the max - and if Hardy blossoms, he could choose the QO and then be UFA the next year rather than taking basically the MLE.

The 3 year makes them restricted AND the team can spend up to the max to retain them.

Edit:  I think that using the tMLE to sign him to a 3yr works out best for the Mavs.  Get full bird rights on Hardy (who has star potential that may result in a higher than MLE payday) and it forces McGee into a lower cost contract.  I'm sure he would have liked to be paid that extra ~4M over the 3 year contract though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavsfan12's post:
  • sterlingmallory, Tyler
Like Reply
"So I think that is the max - and if Hardy blossoms, he could choose the QO and then be UFA the next year rather than taking basically the MLE."

If a RFA 2 year player takes the QO, then (assuming they are good) the next summer they will get a QO and will be a RFA again. I don't think that's really a big win for the player, but I guess it could depend on the player and how fast he develops.

To me the big team advantage of a longer initial contract is that it sorta forces the team to be patient and let the player develop. You are committing to longer. Some players take a bit longer, and you need more time to know if you want to commit to another deal.
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 08:01 PM)F Gump Wrote: "So I think that is the max - and if Hardy blossoms, he could choose the QO and then be UFA the next year rather than taking basically the MLE."

If a RFA 2 year player takes the QO, then (assuming they are good) the next summer they will get a QO and will be a RFA again. I don't think that's really a big win for the player, but I guess it could depend on the player and how fast he develops.

To me the big team advantage of a longer initial contract is that it sorta forces the team to be patient and let the player develop. You are committing to longer. Some players take a bit longer, and you need more time to know if you want to commit to another deal.

Works out for the Mavs as I don’t think he will get much playing time this year, but if they move Din after this year he could pick up sizeable minutes, provided they think he’s ready for it.
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 08:01 PM)F Gump Wrote: "So I think that is the max - and if Hardy blossoms, he could choose the QO and then be UFA the next year rather than taking basically the MLE."

That is not what I would expect...  if a player is a RFA and takes the QO, doesn't that make them an UFA?
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 08:28 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: That is not what I would expect...  if a player is a RFA and takes the QO, doesn't that make them an UFA?

Not necessarily. If he's a RFA after yr 1 or 2, and takes QO, his team can make him RFA the following year.  In the most extreme case, a player could be RFA each summer and take QO each time for 3 summers in a row, before getting to UFA the next summer.
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 08:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: Not necessarily. If he's a RFA after yr 1 or 2, and takes QO, his team can make him RFA the following year.  In the most extreme case, a player could be RFA each summer and take QO each time for 3 summers in a row, before getting to UFA the next summer.

Thanks for the info.  That absolutely sucks for the player.  Terrible rule.
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 09:11 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Thanks for the info.  That absolutely sucks for the player.  Terrible rule.

Yes, and no. Not good in some ways, very fair in others.

Keep in mind that if the player is any good, the first time they are RFA they will get multi-year offers and raises in the process to pick from. Probably from the old team too. Signing a QO should be a last resort, and if you do that you probably have unrealistic expectations thinking you are worth more than  you are.

The RFA setup is obviously weighted to the advantage of the old team, but that's reasonable since they have put in the time and work to develop the player to be worth more in the first place. They get the first claim on the early years of this player they are developing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 09:34 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yes, and no. Not good in some ways, very fair in others.

Keep in mind that if the player is any good, the first time they are RFA they will get multi-year offers and raises in the process to pick from. Probably from the old team too. Signing a QO should be a last resort, and if you do that you probably have unrealistic expectations thinking you are worth more than  you are.

The RFA setup is obviously weighted to the advantage of the old team, but that's reasonable since they have put in the time and work to develop the player to be worth more in the first place. They get the first claim on the early years of this player they are developing.

Yes, I agree with the RFA process being slanted towards the team, but the player should have the ability to take the QO and bet on themselves the next season.  Not get locked into another year of RFA.  I have never heard that before, but I imagine you know what you are saying.

Doesn't sound right that if a player is a 2 year, becomes a star, and is forced to take the MLE or be a RFA again the next year.
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 09:55 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Yes, I agree with the RFA process being slanted towards the team, but the player should have the ability to take the QO and bet on themselves the next season.  Not get locked into another year of RFA.  I have never heard that before, but I imagine you know what you are saying.

Doesn't sound right that if a player is a 2 year, becomes a star, and is forced to take the MLE or be a RFA again the next year.

What's right is relative, and the setup takes into account lots of other realities.

The idea that a 2nd round pick is going to get to free agency of ANY kind before a first rounder is part of the equation. The 1st rounder will be limited by the rookie scale through 4 seasons, and only gets to a RFA in year 5. If a 2nd round project somehow does great, and is a FA after year 2, he's way ahead of the game relatively speaking. The big MLE would be far more than the 1st rounders are making, if he can get it.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Voyager Digital filed bankruptcy today.   The Crypto company Mark Cuban was in business with and even made an official partner of the Dallas Mavericks less than a year ago is dead.  Locked their customers account 2 weeks ago so they couldn't move their money or coins out and now it looks like those assests are gone.

The company made risky loans that defaulted and are now headed for the door with their customers assets.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/06/crypto-f...ction.html

https://www.mavs.com/mavsvoyager/
[-] The following 2 users Like Cherokee Parks is the Future's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 06:01 AM)Cherokee Parks is the Future Wrote: Voyager Digital filed bankruptcy today.   The Crypto company Mark Cuban was in business with and even made an official partner of the Dallas Mavericks less than a year ago is dead.  Locked their customers account 2 weeks ago so they couldn't move their money or coins out and now it looks like those assests are gone.

The company made risky loans that defaulted and are now headed for the door with their customers assets.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/06/crypto-f...ction.html

https://www.mavs.com/mavsvoyager/

Frank already looking for the FBI agent to rat out Cuban. Big Grin
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_Talkin_NBA/status/1...5028042754
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 06:01 AM)Cherokee Parks is the Future Wrote: The company made risky loans that defaulted and are now headed for the door with their customers assets.

Absolutely disgusting. Thievery at it's best.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
[Image: FW_bKjhXEAQSq7Q?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FW_bKjeXwAEKOGk?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
The thread title that Hardy signed a 3-year deal "to be RFA" is just wrong.

He would be a RFA at the end of a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal too, just the same as after a 3-year.

The benefit to Mavs (of a 3rd year) is to keep him on minimum salary longer, before he hits free agency at all.
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 01:06 PM)F Gump Wrote: The benefit to Mavs (of a 3rd year) is to keep him on minimum salary longer, before he hits free agency at all.

Was this their thinking with Brunson? To get that low salary for a FOURTH year?
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 01:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Was this their thinking with Brunson? To get that low salary for a FOURTH year?

Probably. It also was what was negotiated, so it had to do with what his agent wanted too, and it was mixed with their analysis of what they expected they would have to do when it came to re-sign him and how it would be most advantageous. They gambled on "wait as long as possible before we have to decide on a new deal" and lost.

The 3-year deal is no guarantee. Or a 3-year with an option, Parsons signed that deal with HOU and got away, because it got too rich for their blood. So they only got him for 3 years not 4. RFA is only an opportunity, not a guarantee -- and if we think about it, if the Mavs could have matched the Knicks offer, they apparently wouldn't have, given that the DAL offers were significantly less, so JB would have left anyhow.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply