Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
Alright boys in blue lovers… Who you got? Dwight Powell or Josh Green?

https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/156...27648?s=21&t=_JsyD3oT7gthXyAiSk2ISw
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Boban likeability punches way above his on court production.  The "big fan" term makes it a small group of players for me.  So I guess it is Bobi.
Like Reply
(08-21-2022, 07:41 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Boban likeability punches way above his on court production.  The "big fan" term makes it a small group of players for me.  So I guess it is Bobi.
With this logic, Cow’s group would answer…

DFS!

Big Grin Wink Angel Tongue Big Grin
Like Reply
(08-19-2022, 09:48 PM)chaparral Wrote: There are a lot of us on this board that think your comments above are true.  However, I don't recall any of us wanting to pick Bane at 18.  I for one was among the ones that wanted to have 3 picks in the 2020 draft.  There was a lot of exciting talk on this board leading up to that draft.  And again, we were all left disappointed.

Interesting.  I spent more time on another board than this one during that time and the general consensus was Bane prior to the draft, and a lot would have gone with Bey when he fell to us.  Who did everyone here want?  The only other player I remember being on folks list on the other board was Maxey, but he seemed kind of redundant with Brunson (Ironic now).
Like Reply
Based on this assessment, ESPN puts the Mavs 5th in the West.

Too low?  Too high?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3432...-23-season
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 08:21 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Based on this assessment, ESPN puts the Mavs 5th in the West.

Too low?  Too high?

It's a kinda realistic-optimistic view.
But I can see as falling way below this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mapka's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 09:11 AM)Mapka Wrote: But I can see as falling way below this.

How? Fat Luka? Injured Luka?
Like Reply
(08-21-2022, 02:12 PM)mvossman Wrote: I spent more time on another board than this one during that time and the general consensus was Bane prior to the draft, and a lot would have gone with Bey when he fell to us.  Who did everyone here want?

Bey was my hope at the time. There were more than a few Bane supporters, but they were in the minority, if I remember correctly. I remember at dallas-mavs.com everyone was all about Bane, so I bet that's where you were. 

In true DB.com fashion, we spent most of our time discussing the rumors of them trying to trade up for a home run swing. Usually when we do that it's sad and pointless (we do it anyway), but in this, specific instance we found out later they really were trying to trade up to 10 with PHX. @"Kammrath" had everyone convinced Killian Hayes was the target (thank goodness that didn't happen) but they were after Halliburton, which would've been pretty rad. 

You'll find over time here that we're über talented when it comes to dreaming up perfect scenarios that will absolutely, definitely, never ever actually happen. That's historically where 93% of our discussion lands.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 09:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Bey was my hope at the time. There were more than a few Bane supporters, but they were in the minority, if I remember correctly. I remember at dallas-mavs.com everyone was all about Bane, so I bet that's where you were. 

In true DB.com fashion, we spent most of our time discussing the rumors of them trying to trade up for a home run swing. Usually when we do that it's sad and pointless (we do it anyway), but in this, specific instance we found out later they really were trying to trade up to 10 with PHX. @"Kammrath" had everyone convinced Killian Hayes was the target (thank goodness that didn't happen) but they were after Halliburton, which would've been pretty rad. 

You'll find over time here that we're über talented when it comes to dreaming up perfect scenarios that will absolutely, definitely, never ever actually happen. That's historically where 93% of our discussion lands.

Bey falling and being availalbe for the Mavs was like a dream come true. And after they picked Brunson in 2018 I thought the Mavs would value another "older" prospect from the same program. Felt like the perfect fit.

Dysfunctional front office probably cost the Mavs the draft. Bob V stories about the Mavs draft room were mindblowing. Donnie not even there. No draft board or prospect ranking. Basically a couple of guys with different opinions. Attempts to get a trade done. In the end Bob makes the decision without any deeper knowledge about the prospects.

The way things went we can be happy to have Green. Far from the best available or my favorit option but at least he can give the Mavs some spot minutes when they need wing/guard defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I’ve got the Mavs 6th in the West with Denver moving up to 5th.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 08:21 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Based on this assessment, ESPN puts the Mavs 5th in the West.

Too low?  Too high?

It is certainly possible, but I think they will drop back a tad.   With the roster as is, they are really dependent with Luka (obviously) and Dinwiddie being available and playing big minutes.    BTW, I am really worried about our ability to keep up on the non Luka minutes...big key to our success last year. 

It is so tough to say where we fit in though.  Injuries will be such a huge factor.    A core player missing 3 weeks could put you in play in territory.   Last year, Ja missed a ton of games but the Grizzles kept winning.   I think Dallas will have trouble doing the same...I think.   

In the regular season, Dallas has less ways to overwhelm teams than other teams in the West.   It is really Luka giving the defenses no answers to solve us.    So it may be more tricky in the regular season, but could make us a tougher out in a playoff series in theory.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 09:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: @Kammrath had everyone convinced Killian Hayes was the target (thank goodness that didn't happen) but they were after Halliburton, which would've been pretty rad.

No, no, no. I was HOPING Hayes was the target and was trying to will it to happen. Smile I have been dead wrong on Hayes to this point, almost exclusively because his shot is not working. If his shooting were not a disaster he would be a totally different story. He looks fine other than a complete loss of confidence in his shot. But that will be the end of his career if something drastic does not change soon.

We knew Haliburton was a likely target because of some leaks about their interest.  But above all I was pumping the rumors that the Mavs were looking to move up and that did in fact prove to be true. The biggest problem was that Donnie was M-I-A for the draft....UGH.
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 09:59 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I’ve got the Mavs 6th in the West with Denver moving up to 5th.

This seems about right to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 09:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Bey was my hope at the time. There were more than a few Bane supporters, but they were in the minority, if I remember correctly. I remember at dallas-mavs.com everyone was all about Bane, so I bet that's where you were. 

I can think of at least one perfect scenario that actually did play out.  Never thought in a million years we could get Luka from the 5 spot.
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 11:33 AM)mvossman Wrote: I can think of at least one perfect scenario that actually did play out.  Never thought in a million years we could get Luka from the 5 spot.

Yeah, good point. That was like a fairy tale, for sure. 

Unfortunately, depending on teams being as dumb as the top three choosers were that time around isn't all that sustainable as a strategy.
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 12:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, good point. That was like a fairy tale, for sure. 

Unfortunately, depending on teams being as dumb as the top three choosers were that time around isn't all that sustainable as a strategy.

Not 3 teams, 4.  Memphis could have made the same or better offer to get him instead of us.  Orlando was probably in the same boat as well (no chance the Mavs were taking Trae for themselves).  I find it interesting that some of those franchises (Phoenix and Memphis and a season ago some were saying Atlanta) are considered among the best run in the NBA and yet instead of giving the Mavs FO credit for identifying a generational talent and doing what it took to get him, the narrative is that those franchises were dumb.  This FO has made a lot of mistakes over the years, but I feel like they deserve more credit than they get for one of the best, most important trades in the last 10 years.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I agree. There’s far more focus on the mistakes of the 3 teams than the Mavericks extremely successful trade and relationship building pursuit of Luka. Donnie Nelson’s Euro efforts have resulted in 25 years so far of excellent play from Dirk and Luka. Every once in awhile it is good to remember that we have been much luckier than fans of many teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(08-22-2022, 09:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: How? Fat Luka? Injured Luka?

Luka and Dinwiddie overplayed, followed by nagging injuries.

We have like no depth for their positions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mapka's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(08-23-2022, 01:23 AM)Mapka Wrote: Luka and Dinwiddie overplayed, followed by nagging injuries.

We have like no depth for their positions.

Yeah, there's just not enough offense on this team, imo.
Like Reply
[Image: FbCFAbCXgAAyqj8?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply