Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
Anything would be an upgrade in that department.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Nice! Brooklyn has been pretty good at finding hidden gems. We could use some more of our own.
Like Reply
(08-06-2022, 05:04 PM)mvossman Wrote: I felt like your stance on KP (while never positive) went significantly more negative when he got traded away.

Negative. 

I dealt with a year and a half of ridicule over my correct Porzingis takes prior to the trade.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes....-nets/amp/
Like Reply
(08-06-2022, 09:08 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think it could be as simple as Powell for Beverley.  Utah ends up in a Mitchell deal with the Dallas pick and part of the compensation is taking the protection off of 2023.  Also saves Utah tax.  They are $20mm over the line and any deals they do probably need to cut salary fairly substantially.

I don't understand this. I thought UT was far under the tax line with no tax concerns. $20M over (a payroll in excess of $170M) would make them one of the league's big spenders. Spotrac has them at only $142M.

Obviously, all owners (especially those with a rebuilding tanking team facing reduced attendance for a while) want to reduce payroll. So that would be a plus in the trade you mention. I too have proposed UT-related trade ideas based on that premise. But it looks to me like tax paying (and the multiplier on salary that creates) has nothing to do with it.
Like Reply
(08-06-2022, 04:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nobody has said that overtly, no. But, I'm getting the sense that some people think the team might be better with Beverly than it was with Brunson. In general, the opinion of Brunson seems to be changing remarkably quickly now that he's no longer a Maverick.

Good grief man.  Do we have to genuflect and speak in reverent tones every time we say the name to satisfy your sensibilities.  No one said overtly nor did they imply Beverley was better than Brunson.  I see no change in opinion regarding Brunson except in your mind.  I did say Beverley is a better defender than JB.  That is so highly defensible a statement it should be a given.  I also said it is impossible to expect our third guard to be a better defender AND be even close to JB in other areas.  If it were possible to find that guy, he’d be a max player and not available in a swap for Powell.

Brunson is gone…HE LEFT.   He plays for another team and right now I’m much more interested in looking for solutions for THIS TEAM that improve things from WHERE WE ARE TODAY.  Where we are today, as IGT said, is we need a third guard.  That we once HAD JB as one of three guards matters not one iota to figuring out what to do next unless you just want to wallow in self pity for the sake of wallowing.

How candidates for the job compare to Brunson is immaterial. The eventual addition will be our THIRD PG and the team won’t ask the same things of him it asked of Brunson.  Going forward, anytime I mention Brunson, please imagine I bowed and said enough positive things about JB so you can move on and think purely about the merits of Powell for Beverley or whatever I’m proposing at the time.  I told you this was going to happen months before it did (and got criticized for trying to trade our second best player).  Just because I’m able to move on and think about next steps doesn’t make me a JB hater. It makes me someone who is able to live in the current reality.

As to the question about the team promoting the idea Brunson wasn’t a long term fit…Check out the 22:10 mark on the 8/5 Mav’s Moneyball podcast.  Below is what Kirk Henderson had to say.  He’s closer to the situation than me and if he says team officials are promoting this, then I have no reason to doubt him.

“The Mav’s didn’t complain (about tampering).  They’ve been really busy spent on letting us Maverick’s fans know that Jalen Brunson wasn’t a good long term fit and we should probably stop complaining”.  “Which, in a 50,000 foot view is potentially right, but it still doesn’t back away from the fact that they still screwed it up”.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply
(08-06-2022, 11:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't understand this. I thought UT was far under the tax line with no tax concerns. $20M over (a payroll in excess of $170M) would make them one of the league's big spenders. Spotrac has them at only $142M.

Obviously, all owners (especially those with a rebuilding tanking team facing reduced attendance for a while) want to reduce payroll. So that would be a plus in the trade you mention. I too have proposed UT-related trade ideas based on that premise. But it looks to me like tax paying (and the multiplier on salary that creates) has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I was looking at Spotrac also and I have no idea which team I was looking at.  I thought I had loaded Utah, but clearly I hadn’t.

Yes, rebuilding teams tend toward lower salary totals.  I’d carry it a step further and say they generally don’t want long term commitments for mediocre players either.  One of the themes behind trades I propose is keeping long term salary (like Fournier) off of their books. That is one of the few places someone like Powell might play a role…plus Utah is super thin at center.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
If I was blowing it up and tanking for high draft picks, my master plan would be getting Dwight into my starting lineup. An actual situation where you would be justified to give him an extension. Massive value.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 07:02 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Brunson is gone…HE LEFT.   He plays for another team and right now I’m much more interested in looking for solutions for THIS TEAM that improve things from WHERE WE ARE TODAY.  Where we are today, as IGT said, is we need a third guard.  That we once HAD JB as one of three guards matters not one iota to figuring out what to do next unless you just want to wallow in self pity for the sake of wallowing.

I appreciate your persistence in moving on to the next best possibility but don’t you get frustrated with this front office?

I think most people don’t care about these creative ideas anymore. We just let a really good player walk. No one wants to discuss all the creative ways to get freaking Pat Beverly. 

Couple notes on your idea anyway:

1. IMO It’s just as likely the Mavs are motivated to decrease salary as Utah is. 

2. Beverly was brought up a couple years ago when he was a free agent. @"Kammrath" made dozens of posts showing advanced stats how he’s not a good defender like his reputation states. Maybe something has changed? Or maybe that was the classic this guy isn’t any good until the Mavs are interested in him kamm posts. (See Javale McGee)

Maybe some of us are just pessimistic losers but I see you post and I think why is this dude wasting all these words typing out hypothetical Patrick Beverly or some other random spare trades?
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 09:59 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I appreciate your persistence in moving on to the next best possibility but don’t you get frustrated with this front office?

I think most people don’t care about these creative ideas anymore. We just let a really good player walk. No one wants to discuss all the creative ways to get freaking Pat Beverly. 

Couple notes on your idea anyway:

1. IMO It’s just as likely the Mavs are motivated to decrease salary as Utah is. 

2. Beverly was brought up a couple years ago when he was a free agent. @"Kammrath" made dozens of posts showing advanced stats how he’s not a good defender like his reputation states. Maybe something has changed? Or maybe that was the classic this guy isn’t any good until the Mavs are interested in him kamm posts. (See Javale McGee)

Maybe some of us are just pessimistic losers but I see you post and I think why is this dude wasting all these words typing out hypothetical Patrick Beverly or some other random spare trades?

Interesting, I see you post and I think why is this dude wasting all these words typing out negative comments towards valuable posters?

I'd much rather read about hypothetical trades regardless of who it's for because it's a great way of learning how the NBA works.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I’m just relaying why no one wants to engage him in hypothetical number 500 of this off-season. 

Since there seems to be a disconnect of you guys keep being mad about Brunson, I’m going to look at solutions. 

It’s basically him and Fgump talking about what could be possible under cba rules and even Fgump has given up at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 07:02 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Good grief man.  Do we have to genuflect and speak in reverent tones every time we say the name to satisfy your sensibilities.

Of course not. You don't have to do anything. 

Likewise, I obviously don't have to stop noting the obvious - that losing Brunson for nothing was an unforgivable worst case scenario, and that there's really no way for them to recover in the short term. Huge, huge catastrophe. That's what I find interesting about this summer, not hypothetical trades that very likely won't happen for players not remotely on the same level as Brunson, who was already here and key to the success of last year's amazing team.

I am slightly interested in why your post is dripping with resentment for ME, a fan, and not the morons who've messed this all up, but even that is your prerogative. 

THE story of the off-season is losing Brunson for nothing, and my strong suspicion is that it will be THE story of the season, too. I won't be just "moving on," I'm sorry to say in advance. It is literally the first and last thought that goes across my head anytime I'm thinking about the Mavericks.
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 11:12 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Of course not. You don't have to do anything. 

Likewise, I obviously don't have to stop noting the obvious - that losing Brunson for nothing was an unforgivable worst case scenario, and that there's really no way for them to recover in the short term. Huge, huge catastrophe. That's what I find interesting about this summer, not hypothetical trades that very likely won't happen for players not remotely on the same level as Brunson, who was already here and key to the success of last year's amazing team.

I am slightly interested in why your post is dripping with resentment for ME, a fan, and not the morons who've messed this all up, but even that is your prerogative. 

THE story of the off-season is losing Brunson for nothing, and my strong suspicion is that it will be THE story of the season, too. I won't be just "moving on," I'm sorry to say in advance. It is literally the first and last thought that goes across my head anytime I'm thinking about the Mavericks.

I thought you were the voice or reason that talked others off the cliff.  Worried about the tenor of this board with you teetering on the edge.
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 12:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: I thought you were the voice or reason that talked others off the cliff.  Worried about the tenor of this board with you teetering on the edge.

From my (biased) perspective, I am simply true to what I believe. When I feel I see what the front office or coach is going for and they’re getting unduly criticized, I say so. When I believe a particular player is more valuable to the overall success of the team than what is being accepted as truth around here, I say so. This has probably resulted in positivity more often than not, historically. 

But, there have been a few things over the years about which I not only agree with the negative crowd but even outpace them. The Porzingis fit, breaking up the champs in '11, the Nash thing, and other events of that ilk. I put this Brunson situation squarely in that category, personally. It's REALLY got me feeling hopeless, and it's not like I'm trying not to get over it. 

From my perspective, this is how you know the positivity from me is real when it comes back around. Some people are positive no matter what - not sure what that's worth, but we're all free to engage in whatever way makes sense to us. I do not possess the skills necessary to be positive at this time.
Like Reply
Honestly, I think the problem now is that we are in a state of limbo.  Brunson, who we knew what we had is gone for nothing.  Wood who we can’t be sure about is here.  McGee is here also, but in a 15 minute per game role we know more comfortably about what we have.  We still have obvious needs and open roster positions and nothing is happening.  So all we can do is post hypothetical roster moves and lament Brunson leaving and the front office screw-up for allowing it to happen.  Unfortunately the only way this will change is when our roster is full and we start playing games.  Then, hopefully, we shouldn’t be losing sleep over the loss of Brunson; although we might have other things keeping us up!  I don’’t know about the rest of you but I can’t wait for real NBA basketball to resume.
[-] The following 3 users Like rocky164's post:
  • F Gump, Hypermav, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 01:23 PM)rocky164 Wrote: Honestly, I think the problem now is that we are in a state of limbo.  Brunson, who we knew what we had is gone for nothing.  Wood who we can’t be sure about is here.  McGee is here also, but in a 15 minute per game role we know more comfortably about what we have.  We still have obvious needs and open roster positions and nothing is happening.  So all we can do is post hypothetical roster moves and lament Brunson leaving and the front office screw-up for allowing it to happen.  Unfortunately the only way this will change is when our roster is full and we start playing games.  Then, hopefully, we shouldn’t be losing sleep over the loss of Brunson; although we might have other things keeping us up!  I don’’t know about the rest of you but I can’t wait for real NBA basketball to resume.

I think this is all right on the money, and I can understand the perspective of wanting the season to start so we have something to dig into. 

I'm having trouble getting up for the coming season. I have a bad feeling that it's going to be a letdown from last season and fairly depressing. I obviously hope I'm wrong, but every time I try to get excited about it I just keep falling back on how much I loathe what they're doing with the roster.
Like Reply
We have all been thought this before when we lost Nash in July of 2004 for nothing.  The MBT fixed the problem with the Terry trade in August 2004.  And it was Dirk and Terry who took us to the finals 2 years later in 2006.

So, it is August now and I'm enjoying popping in to read all the possible trade ideas on how this new MBT is going to salve the JB loss.

Thanks, and Let's Go Mavs...
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 01:45 PM)chaparral Wrote: We have all been thought this before when we lost Nash in July of 2004 for nothing.  The MBT fixed the problem with the Terry trade in August 2004.  And it was Dirk and Terry who took us to the finals 2 years later in 2006.

So, it is August now and I'm enjoying popping in to read all the possible trade ideas on how this new MBT is going to salve the JB loss.

Thanks, and Let's Go Mavs...

They did indeed rebound nicely from Nash. Unfortunately, at that time, Cuban was willing to spare no expense and had an excellent GM. Now he's a skinflint, we have an inexperienced GM whose hands are tied by Cuban's constipation of the wallet and the desire to make a future big move, and we have the existential situation that they have done nothing in the past month to solve their two major roster holes.

(08-07-2022, 01:23 PM)rocky164 Wrote: Honestly, I think the problem now is that we are in a state of limbo.  Brunson, who we knew what we had is gone for nothing.  Wood who we can’t be sure about is here.  McGee is here also, but in a 15 minute per game role we know more comfortably about what we have.  We still have obvious needs and open roster positions and nothing is happening.  So all we can do is post hypothetical roster moves and lament Brunson leaving and the front office screw-up for allowing it to happen.  Unfortunately the only way this will change is when our roster is full and we start playing games.  Then, hopefully, we shouldn’t be losing sleep over the loss of Brunson; although we might have other things keeping us up!  I don’’t know about the rest of you but I can’t wait for real NBA basketball to resume.

It's actually the season I'm dreading, if they don't make any more moves. Without Boban, Brunson, and hope, and with diminishing returns, the locker room could get ugly.
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 03:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: They did indeed rebound nicely from Nash. Unfortunately, at that time, Cuban was willing to spare no expense and had an excellent GM. Now he's a skinflint, we have an inexperienced GM whose hands are tied by Cuban's constipation of the wallet and the desire to make a future big move, and we have the existential situation that they have done nothing in the past month to solve their two major roster holes.

Not to mention that losing Nash during the exact summer that the hand check rule was changed probably robbed this team of two additional championships, at least. Terry was great, and I was a bigger fan of his than most, but he was no Nash. And, like you say above, there isn't currently a Jason Terry rebound player in place this time around. Still time, but Beverly wouldn't qualify even as that in my book. 

Not that I wouldn't want Beverly, I would. Especially if it meant clearing out one of the 4 (FOUR !!!) rotation-level bigs.
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 03:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not to mention that losing Nash during the exact summer that the hand check rule was changed probably robbed this team of two additional championships, at least. Terry was great, and I was a bigger fan of his than most, but he was no Nash. And, like you say above, there isn't currently a Jason Terry rebound player in place this time around. Still time, but Beverly wouldn't qualify even as that in my book. 

Not that I wouldn't want Beverly, I would. Especially if it meant clearing out one of the 4 (FOUR !!!) rotation-level bigs.

The other thing was, even when Nash left, Devin Harris was already in hand. Hardy + Wood =/= Devin Harris.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply