Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(07-25-2022, 04:13 PM)mvossman Wrote: Those tiers look about right to me.  I feel like Spencer should be 4B, but maybe this is taking into account his early season struggles with the Wiz?  I would argue that Timmy was a 4B his last two healthy years as well.  Where is Wood?  Does this not include the trade?  Surely he is top 125?  I'm curious what Brunson is ranked?  The rankings are behind a paywall, but I would guess Brunson is 4A?

Brunson was 4A a few slots behind DFS.  They address Wood in the write-up.  He did not make the list, but was 4B the season before.  Bertans and THJ also dropped off the list.  They were 5A and 5C respectively the year before.  Dinwiddie was 4A and 4B the two previous years.
Like Reply
Dinwiddie, Wood and THJ should all be higher on next year's list if things go well for the Mavs this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • IamDougieFresh, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
A good diddie wood keep the hard away.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
My thought on building around the Luka we have seen to this point is him with every other rotation player (top 2-8 on the team) being in the 4A-5A tier.
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 06:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: My thought on building around the Luka we have seen to this point is him with every other rotation player (top 2-8 on the team) being in the 4A-5A tier.

It is interesting the way we’ve churned through players kind of in the 4/5 tiers.  Seth Curry made the list after his final year here.  He was traded for Josh Richardson who made the list prior to being a Mav, but not since.  Brunson made the list for the first time in his final year here and KP made the list both as a Mav and since leaving.  He’s the only Mav who was as high as a 3 his first year back from injury (but a 4 since).  We’ve been told in various ways that all had some kind of fit issue with Luka.

The list is pretty fluid.  Once you get to a certain point, a players rank isn’t self determined, but largely tied to team success.  The 20 rankings had three Mav’s besides Luka (KP, THJ and Maxi).  The 21 rankings had (KP, and THJ (barely) but Maxi dropped off.  This year has THJ, SD, DFS and Maxi, but also Wood and Bertans have been ranked on past lists (Bertans surprisingly has made the list twice).  So, without injuries and with some team success, we may get what you are seeking.  Luka and as many as six guys in the 4/5 range.  McGee and Bullock probably don’t get there.  It is also unlikely Bertans is a top 125 guy again, but I think there is a really good chance Wood, SD, DFS, THJ and Maxi get there.

My question about “THE” trade was really about what level player would we give up multiple future firsts for.  By now, we should be getting some feel for what Luka needs next to him.  I’m fine if we can give up expiring contracts and end of bench guys and land another 4/5 type.  But, I think the Mav’s have grander plans.
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 06:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: My thought on building around the Luka we have seen to this point is him with every other rotation player (top 2-8 on the team) being in the 4A-5A tier.

Among players tied up waiting for Mitchell to NY…

Dropout from 21: Kemba, Clarkson and Rose

5’s:  Bojan, Conley and Beverley

4’s:  None
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/nba_university/statu...54593?s=21&t=Vq96mzQFGLLOyV2fdxXVdw
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 11:27 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/nba_university/statu...54593?s=21&t=Vq96mzQFGLLOyV2fdxXVdw

Criminal that DFS wasn't on an all-defense team after that playoff run
Hopefully that reputation carries into next season and he can actually be rewarded then
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 11:32 PM)Jym Wrote: Criminal that DFS wasn't on an all-defense team after that playoff run

He's so criminally underrated.
Like Reply
DFS is the uniting force of Mavs fandom
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 04:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I personally would target Bam, Simmons, and Siakam

Then in Tier 4, I would target OG, Ingram, and JC (and maybe Tobias at the right price).

I might add SGA to your list.  What he does with no supporting cast is pretty amazing.

Something interesting about OG (and part of why he comes up in trade talks) is he will be one of those rare guys at his level who will likely make it to free agency in 2024.  So many good players extend before they hit the market now.  But, the same 120% rule that limited DFS will limit OG's extension.  Same with Jaylen Brown in 24.  The second contracts for both were less than the max and if they want the max in 24, they have to wait to get it in free agency.  

If Dallas is going to give up talent and 25/27/29 in a deal for someone, they need to be available, age appropriate and good defenders.  OG and Brown fit that better than most in the top tiers.  The available part comes from their contract situation.  If they are traded, it is partially because their teams are worried they might get "Brunsoned".  But, if Dallas trades for a guy like that, they are just as exposed to risk as the team trading them away.

We are playing a similar game on a lesser scale with Christian Wood.  He can be extended starting at $17.18mm starting later this season.  If he plays well, he might get $20mm+ in the open market.  The cost, even if he walks next summer, was very little.  But, if you are talking guys like OG and Brown, you are giving up a lot to get those guys.  With that said, you aren't getting a top tier guy without some risk.  You either strip down the roster and generate the cap space to play in free agency (we've seen that movie), or you overpay in a Gobert type move or you do something like what you'd be doing in a deal for someone like OG or Brown.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath, mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(07-26-2022, 06:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: you aren't getting a top tier guy without some risk

No question. And anyone who might come available (like some of the guys I listed above) have their own baked in risks as well, some more than others.
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 08:05 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is interesting the way we’ve churned through players kind of in the 4/5 tiers.  Seth Curry made the list after his final year here.  He was traded for Josh Richardson who made the list prior to being a Mav, but not since.  Brunson made the list for the first time in his final year here and KP made the list both as a Mav and since leaving.  He’s the only Mav who was as high as a 3 his first year back from injury (but a 4 since).  We’ve been told in various ways that all had some kind of fit issue with Luka.

The list is pretty fluid.  Once you get to a certain point, a players rank isn’t self determined, but largely tied to team success.  The 20 rankings had three Mav’s besides Luka (KP, THJ and Maxi).  The 21 rankings had (KP, and THJ (barely) but Maxi dropped off.  This year has THJ, SD, DFS and Maxi, but also Wood and Bertans have been ranked on past lists (Bertans surprisingly has made the list twice).  So, without injuries and with some team success, we may get what you are seeking.  Luka and as many as six guys in the 4/5 range.  McGee and Bullock probably don’t get there.  It is also unlikely Bertans is a top 125 guy again, but I think there is a really good chance Wood, SD, DFS, THJ and Maxi get there.

My question about “THE” trade was really about what level player would we give up multiple future firsts for.  By now, we should be getting some feel for what Luka needs next to him.  I’m fine if we can give up expiring contracts and end of bench guys and land another 4/5 type.  But, I think the Mav’s have grander plans.
No doubt I think the FO will go after the >4 trade. I think your SGA thought is very interesting! He very well may be a Murray type get next year. Expiring and 2 firsts (they may ask for more since he’s younger). If we have 24, 26, 28, and 30, I would try to use 2 in a trade, then 1 in a second and would not use the 4th (too far out) then look for a steal with our FA money (whatever MLE we have and hopefully the BAE too). Get 9-10 deep for the season and then projects or old vets to finish out the last 5.
Like Reply
(07-26-2022, 06:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: SGA

I thought about him, but didn't add him because I am concerned about his effectiveness being determined solely by being on-ball.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_Talkin_NBA/status/1...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhoopshype.com%2Flists%2Franking-the-top-25-point-guards-for-the-2022-23-season%2F

Should take  home his 1st MVP thiis year.
Like Reply
[Image: FYmX8waXwAEwO9X?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 11:27 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/nba_university/statu...54593?s=21&t=Vq96mzQFGLLOyV2fdxXVdw

Can't quite figure out all the talk on this board about Christian Wood as our 2nd best player...
Like Reply
(07-26-2022, 06:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I might add SGA to your list.  What he does with no supporting cast is pretty amazing.

Something interesting about OG (and part of why he comes up in trade talks) is he will be one of those rare guys at his level who will likely make it to free agency in 2024.  So many good players extend before they hit the market now.  But, the same 120% rule that limited DFS will limit OG's extension.  Same with Jaylen Brown in 24.  The second contracts for both were less than the max and if they want the max in 24, they have to wait to get it in free agency.  

If Dallas is going to give up talent and 25/27/29 in a deal for someone, they need to be available, age appropriate and good defenders.  OG and Brown fit that better than most in the top tiers.  The available part comes from their contract situation.  If they are traded, it is partially because their teams are worried they might get "Brunsoned".  But, if Dallas trades for a guy like that, they are just as exposed to risk as the team trading them away.

We are playing a similar game on a lesser scale with Christian Wood.  He can be extended starting at $17.18mm starting later this season.  If he plays well, he might get $20mm+ in the open market.  The cost, even if he walks next summer, was very little.  But, if you are talking guys like OG and Brown, you are giving up a lot to get those guys.  With that said, you aren't getting a top tier guy without some risk.  You either strip down the roster and generate the cap space to play in free agency (we've seen that movie), or you overpay in a Gobert type move or you do something like what you'd be doing in a deal for someone like OG or Brown.

I'm not sure SGA is a great fit as he is so ball dominate.  I really like OG, but I don't think he is good enough to be a true number 2.  Brown on the other hand seems like a perfect match.  He can create for himself and others, and is used to playing off ball next to a star.  He is also someone you don't shy away from paying the max to in 24.  If he goes to the Nets in a Durant trade, he might be available for picks and salary filler next offseason.
Like Reply
(07-26-2022, 09:38 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Can't quite figure out all the talk on this board about Christian Wood as our 2nd best player...

You’ll figure it out about 4 minutes into game 1 when he checks in for McShaqtin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-26-2022, 01:40 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: You’ll figure it out about 4 minutes into game 1 when he checks in for McShaqtin.

Are you saying Luka is our 3rd best player?  God King is better than Wood.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply