Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
https://twitter.com/CrumpledJumper/statu...1535727626

Most efficient on-the-ball scorers in the NBA this season.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/fmaddenNBA/status/17...4407085087

Giannis finishes the season averaging 30.4 ppg and 31.2 pts per 36 mins. for 6 straight seasons.
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 07:14 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://twitter.com/CrumpledJumper/statu...1535727626

Most efficient on-the-ball scorers in the NBA this season.

Clippers with 3 guys in the top 10 - just saying…
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 06:08 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: As someone else pointed out, the West victor is going to come out torn up as hell by their opponents, while the Celtics will have barely broken a sweat at any point, so Boston is the prohibitive favorite to win the Larry. Even against the Nuggets. The only real "all bets are off" scenario is if the Lakers win the West. The Celtics may not be built to play five on eight.

The Knicks are dangerous. If they make it to the conference finals, I think they will make Boston sweat. I may be crazy for saying this, because Randle is a good player. But their playing better without him because he's a ball stopper, and they're getting what they need from Anunoby who's better defensively. And with Hartenstein, Robinson, and Hart, the Knicks will control the offensive boards, and provide rim protection. Brunson will continue to orchestrate the offense beautifully. This may be Thibs best coaching job in NY.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/177...6976910825

The top performers of the 23-24 season.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_...ms-2023-24

Regular season grades for all 30 teams.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_...ke-all-nba

Zach Lowe's eight things.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 06:29 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The Knicks are dangerous. If they make it to the conference finals, I think they will make Boston sweat. I may be crazy for saying this, because Randle is a good player. But their playing better without him because he's a ball stopper, and they're getting what they need from Anunoby who's better defensively. And with Hartenstein, Robinson, and Hart, the Knicks will control the offensive boards, and provide rim protection. Brunson will continue to orchestrate the offense beautifully. This may be Thibs best coaching job in NY.

I may be wrong, but I think Knicks (as all other Thibs teams in the past) are a regular season team. I think lack of star power crucial for a deep playoff run will show very quickly in the playoffs. Or in other words, I think other teams might have another gear or two left, I don't see that with Knicks.

Still, I don't think Boston will have such an easy job. They will (probably) get either Miami or Philly in the first round, none of them really a walkover. Second round is probably Cleveland, that has showed flashes of a really good team early in the season.
Like Reply
This is called “All-in”.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3994...nsion-suns
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 09:10 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: This is called “All-in”.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3994...nsion-suns

Wow, that number seems high. Allen is elite shooter, one of the best, but limited defender and creator. He is shooting 46 % from three and has an eFG of 65 %. His "Mavs version" is shooting 35 % from three and has an eFG of 51 %, for example. Phoenix is literally saying "screw the second apron". This extension puts them way above it with just 11 players under contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 09:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow, that number seems high. Allen is elite shooter, one of the best, but limited defender and creator. He is shooting 46 % from three and has an eFG of 65 %. His "Mavs version" is shooting 35 % from three and has an eFG of 51 %, for example. Phoenix is literally saying "screw the second apron". This extension puts them way above it with just 11 players under contract.

I read if an owner wants to pay, this may be a route to maintain at least some flexibility to improve their team.  Have guys in the 10-20 million range who you can use as salary matches.  Not sure anyone is going to trip over themselves for that Allen contract though.  Plus, an owner may grow real tired playing a 100 million on taxes if they don’t reach the conference finals.

Suns did pretty well in that trade imo.   I am not a Nurkic fan, but he has been solid this year.   They also got Allen.  Allen has been solid as well.  They also picked up Little and Keon Johnson.  Nassir Little was an interesting gamble.   He is still young, but just hasn't proven to be a rotation NBA player yet.    While nothing special for a return with Ayton, they got solid players back.
Like Reply
Boban...man of the people.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/statu...2162842862

Poku being Poku

https://twitter.com/British_Buzz/status/...4448178378
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 09:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow, that number seems high. Allen is elite shooter, one of the best, but limited defender and creator. He is shooting 46 % from three and has an eFG of 65 %. His "Mavs version" is shooting 35 % from three and has an eFG of 51 %, for example. Phoenix is literally saying "screw the second apron". This extension puts them way above it with just 11 players under contract.

Yeah I think this a pretty emphatic sign that the Suns owner couldn't care less about the 2nd apron.

If anything I think they will try and trade Beal for pennies on the dollar and to use his contract to find a PG and bench help. Trouble is, what team out there, save maybe the Pistons, has the room to absorb Beal's deal AND be willing to give up a rotation player too.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 12:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Yeah I think this a pretty emphatic sign that the Suns owner couldn't care less about the 2nd apron.

If anything I think they will try and trade Beal for pennies on the dollar and to use his contract to find a PG and bench help. Trouble is, what team out there, save maybe the Pistons, has the room to absorb Beal's deal AND be willing to give up a rotation player too.

Beal contract must be one of the worst in the league. He wasn't able to do anything with Washington and seems like far from a star with Suns. I don't think any team would be so desperate to see him as the solution to whatever problems they have. Phoenix does have a first in this years draft to trade though, and it is not totally bad pick due to their position. Draft might be weak, but probably more in the star talent. I am assuming there are always interesting talented guys that can become valuable rotation players around.

Since being over the second apron is a given, they might as well just resign O'Neal too and then look to use their pick and whatever contract to improve the team if needed.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 10:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I read if an owner wants to pay, this may be a route to maintain at least some flexibility to improve their team.  Have guys in the 10-20 million range who you can use as salary matches.  Not sure anyone is going to trip over themselves for that Allen contract though.  Plus, an owner may grow real tired playing a 100 million on taxes if they don’t reach the conference finals.

Suns did pretty well in that trade imo.   I am not a Nurkic fan, but he has been solid this year.   They also got Allen.  Allen has been solid as well.  They also picked up Little and Keon Johnson.  Nassir Little was an interesting gamble.   He is still young, but just hasn't proven to be a rotation NBA player yet.    While nothing special for a return with Ayton, they got solid players back.

Just a reminder about roster-building limitations of going above the cap:

What are the penalties for the first apron?

Teams cannot acquire a player in a sign-and-trade if that player keeps them above the apron
Teams cannot sign a player waived during the regular season whose salary was over the $12.2 million midlevel exception
Salary matching in trades must be within 110 percent, rather than 125 percent for teams not above the apron

What are the penalties for the second apron?

All of the penalties for the first apron apply to the second apron as well: 
No access to the $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception
Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players
Teams cannot include cash in a trade
Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year
First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)
A team's first-round pick is moved to the end of the first round if they remain in the second apron for three out of five seasons
These penalties are much more stringent than under the old CBA. Previously, owners with deep pockets could go well into the luxury tax as long as they were willing to pay. Now, teams who enter the second apron will have difficulty adding any sort of new talent via trades or free agent acquisitions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • youzigizag
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 08:51 AM)omahen Wrote: I may be wrong, but I think Knicks (as all other Thibs teams in the past) are a regular season team. I think lack of star power crucial for a deep playoff run will show very quickly in the playoffs. Or in other words, I think other teams might have another gear or two left, I don't see that with Knicks.

Still, I don't think Boston will have such an easy job. They will (probably) get either Miami or Philly in the first round, none of them really a walkover. Second round is probably Cleveland, that has showed flashes of a really good team early in the season.

Fair enough. Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. I just think the Knicks play with a toughness about themselves. They don't get rattled easily.  They really don't need so called star power when they all play on a string. And I would say Brunson is a star in the making. Not too many teams are fortunate enough to have two players the caliber of Luka and Kyrie. Cleveland has hit the skids. They aren't the same team. They will have their hands full with the Magic. Philly is on a 8 or 9 game winning streak since Embiid has been back.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 08:51 AM)omahen Wrote: I may be wrong, but I think Knicks (as all other Thibs teams in the past) are a regular season team. I think lack of star power crucial for a deep playoff run will show very quickly in the playoffs. Or in other words, I think other teams might have another gear or two left, I don't see that with Knicks.

I agree with you, Knicks are lacking that something extra to make it out of ECF.

One future worry with the Knicks though... is if the Bucks get bounced early and Giannis then decides to bounce as well, the Knicks could be a potential destination for him. If they could get it done while keeping Brunson and Anunoby, that would be a scary team. Even if they have to send Anunoby + Randle, it's still a good team.

- Brunson, Donte, Hart, Giannis, Robinson.
- McBride, Milton, Burks/Bogi, Achiuwa, Hartenstein.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
ESPN Sources: Jordi Fernandez has emerged as the Brooklyn Nets’ choice to become the franchise’s next coach, separating himself in a wide, month-long search that now has the Nets prepared to hire the Sacramento Kings’ top assistant.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
This would never happen, I don’t think. It is too risky, but I wonder if there was a conversation with the Lakers that #8 seed is much better than #7. That would lead to not going all out tonight. I don’t think you can do it in a playin series, but I just wonder if it was discussed.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3991...ampionship

Review of all 20 play-in and playoff teams.
Like Reply