Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: PHI To File Grievance Over Officiating
(12-27-2023, 08:01 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Vintage dinosaur game from Drummond. First start in 1 1/2 years. Finished with 24pts/25reb 11/13 FG in 38 minutes. Dominated Capela. Not advocating for a non shooting big behind Lively but if that's what the Mavs want I would prefer the vet min option.

I´d prefer vet minimum, too. I´d also prefer to at least draft and sign another young center. Besides the obvious candidates in Europe like Bruno Bonga for next year. There is a very unusual center prospect in the German league right now: 6´10 Jilson Bango. He´s 24 years old, two time Angolian league MVP. He´s made the jump to Europe in 2022. No disrespect to Angola, with a rich basketball tradition, but I guess the training in Europe is at a different level. This year he has really pushed on with 12 PPG on top of being the best rebounder and shotblocker in the league. I´d at least get him a SL invite, maybe, he´ll improve all year again. Physically think Ben Wallace. Big Grin Cool
Like Reply
I'm gone for a couple of years, stop back by, and find out...

we're still talking about Drummond?

He was a bad idea even when he was much better at basketball!

Maybe we can draft an 7' 1" late first center who isn't valued by the L because all he can do is be a shot blocker, rebounder and stud PNR partner?
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 10:33 AM)fifteenth Wrote: we're still talking about Drummond? 

It's insane, I know. Thank you for shining a light on this overt flaw with the whole of Mavs fandom.
Like Reply
I watched the Hawks vs. Bulls game to see the Drummond vs. Capela matchup.

Drummond still has it. When he's engaged there are very few better guys on the glass. The way he carves out position down low in anticipation for a rebound makes me salivate. He also was spry enough to move on the perimeter and stripped Murray and Trae a few times. The Bulls ran this side PnR into lob play 3 times that was eerily reminicsent of the Spain PnR the Mavs love to run with Luka-Lively. Drummond caught it every time and slammed it.

In terms of defending the rim I wouldn't say Drummond is elite. But he's such a big body that his presence alone alters shots. He managed to get into Capela on more than one occassion and disrupted his putback. There was one play where Capela went for a jump hook and Drummond contested super well into a miss. As a vet min guy, I'm not sure we could do better. We can operate much in the same way when we have Lively on the court with Drummond. He is an ideal target that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. He's flawed, but he excels where we need it most, rebounding and paint protection.

The Bulls announcers kept saying "Drummond has found a home here in Chicago", meaning they've been loving what he's been doing. Whether or not that means he's untouchable I doubt it. Hardy for Drummond and a 2nd could be enough especially since Chicago is 2 months away from blowing it up.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
@ShamsCharania

Aaron Gordon suffered serious dog bites to his face and shooting right hand on Monday -- requiring 21 stitches, sources say. It will take some time to heal, with no timetable yet.

[Image: GCX-NasbQAAPW4A.jpg?format=webp&width=680&height=676]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Toronto is such a weird team. I always thought they were a tough team to play the last several years. Their GM brought a title there and has been thought of as a top gm in the league. Although the last few years they have been really rocky. Losing players for nothing or near nothing. Letting go of a coach that know looks like a top coach. Again! They made some odd win now trades for a not a win now team. This year they drafted Dick. While it is way to early to make evaluations on young rookies there have been some players picked after him who look good. Supposedly they wanted Wallace before OKC moved up.

I really wonder what they do at the deadline. The three impending free agents are the big pieces. But Schroeder always seems like a short term fit with his stays. Does some contender try to catch lightning in a bottle? Dan has mentioned Poetl before. He has been ok, but not any better. Besides the spurs probably getting that pick they gave up for him, so they really need Poetl. Would he gather any interest in the trade market?
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 12:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's insane, I know. Thank you for shining a light on this overt flaw with the whole of Mavs fandom.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that the Drummond fans are election deniers, flat earthers and closet Spurs fans

Tongue
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Doggone. I made my little joke before I saw SH stump'n for Drumm'n.

Sorry SH.  Heart
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 03:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I'm going out on a limb and saying that the Drummond fans are election deniers, flat earthers and closet Spurs fans

Tongue

It's not insane this time around, given he's now a minimum salaried backup idea. 

But the residual distaste for him coming off of the years long, annual "the Mavs would still be playing if they had Drummond" crusade which never had even a shred of basis in reality...that's real.
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 04:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's not insane this time around, given he's now a minimum salaried backup idea. 

But the residual distaste for him coming off of the years long, annual "the Mavs would still be playing if they had Drummond" crusade which never had even a shred of basis in reality...that's real.

Gotcha. I guess I just remember him as a big body that likes to show off his slick dribbling and scoring skills, which sounds great, but has never really contributed to winning. 

Is he willing to play a role? Can he get up and down the floor at the Mavs pace? Would he learn where he's supposed to be on D? Mavs O and D are both predicated on people knowing where to be on the floor. 

Maybe, as you say, as a minimum backup it's different. If the Bulls actually like him, thougjh, then that makes it sound like can't just go get him for nothing. 

I'm sure I've just spent way too much thought on this. But that's what a message board is for.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
He’s not a difference maker but for the minimum Drummond would be a help around here. The Backup Center spot is one of the biggest flaws of this roster, I expect them to start bringing in some type of reinforcement sooner or later. The cost of backup bigs who can’t shoot like Powell/Drummond has become so little that it’s become relatively cheap asset-wise to turn over the position even midseason.

Powell and Holmes have been major disappointments so far. I’d really like to know what is going on with DP, it’s like he has aged multiple years over one offseason.
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 03:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I'm going out on a limb and saying that the Drummond fans are election deniers, flat earthers and closet Spurs fans

Tongue

That's the new franchise identity. Just blending in with the new owners...
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 04:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Doggone. I made my little joke before I saw SH stump'n for Drumm'n.

Sorry SH.  Heart

I am 1 of those things, but I won't tell you which one. 

Hint: I hear the women down in San Antonio are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

You should really open your 3rd eye!
Like Reply
Bulls have been playing pretty well lately. I don't think it continues long term though. But it appears the front office is trying to win now....strange decision. I think I read Vucevic may miss two weeks with an injury. This will give Drummond to show his value and may make him less likely to be moved if the Bulls really are trying to make the play-in. Potentially he is a buyout guy if the Bulls really struggle later in the season.
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 05:56 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Bulls have been playing pretty well lately.  I don't think it continues long term though.  But it appears the front office is trying to win now....strange decision.  I think I read Vucevic may miss two weeks with an injury.  This will give Drummond to show his value and may make him less likely to be moved if the Bulls really are trying to make the play-in.  Potentially he is a buyout guy if the Bulls really struggle later in the season.

Ironically, they turned up their play as soon as Lavine went on the DL. They've played better without him. Might not be a coincidence. He probably gets moved if the right deal comes along.
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 03:46 PM)MFFL Wrote: I know he was an ass (and I had him blocked) but what did he do to cross the line?

Another troll started a thread and started attacking folks (primarily Killer) and then after he got banded our favorite poster jumped in and did same.  I think it was only for a week and I believe Killer said if anyone asked for him to be reinstated he would bring him back immediately.  Nobody asked.
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 08:16 PM)mvossman Wrote: Another troll started a thread and started attacking folks (primarily Killer) and then after he got banded our favorite poster jumped in and did same.  I think it was only for a week and I believe Killer said if anyone asked for him to be reinstated he would bring him back immediately.  Nobody asked.

That's pretty accurate, only...I'm not positive he was our #1 Wood fan. It's very possible that Wood fan account (not banned, just absent for a long time) was another outlet for the same guy, but I don't know that.
Like Reply
I don´t know who they´ll trade, but this Goga, WCJ, Wagner rotation is just not working. There are only 48 minutes for three centers.
Like Reply
9:02 PM. Just saw this popping up on a general feed.

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, the Mavs plan to sign Brandon Williams to a two-way contract. Williams was playing with the Osceola Magic of the G League and will now get a chance to potentially contribute at the NBA level. His last stop in the NBA was during the 2021-22 season with the Portland Trail Blazers.

This season for the Magic, Williams is averaging 23.9 points and 5.6 assists per game. He is a crafty finisher, a great passer, and a good athlete. Even though he is undersized, Williams has a variety of moves that he uses to finish at the rim and finishes through contact well.

Although this signing should be exciting for Mavs fans, it is also puzzling because all three of the Mavs' two-way spots are filled right now by Greg Brown III, Dexter Dennis, and A.J. Lawson. In order to sign Williams, Dallas needs to create a roster spot.

That could mean that Dallas plans on converting one of their two-way deals to a standard contract, but it could also mean that one of their two-way guys could get cut. It could even mean that someone on their main roster is getting cut.

No one knows exactly how Dallas plans on creating that new roster spot, but it'll be interesting to see the next move Dallas makes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(12-27-2023, 10:04 PM)Winter Wrote: 9:02 PM. Just saw this popping up on a general feed.

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, the Mavs plan to sign Brandon Williams to a two-way contract. Williams was playing with the Osceola Magic of the G League and will now get a chance to potentially contribute at the NBA level. His last stop in the NBA was during the 2021-22 season with the Portland Trail Blazers.

This season for the Magic, Williams is averaging 23.9 points and 5.6 assists per game. He is a crafty finisher, a great passer, and a good athlete. Even though he is undersized, Williams has a variety of moves that he uses to finish at the rim and finishes through contact well.

Although this signing should be exciting for Mavs fans, it is also puzzling because all three of the Mavs' two-way spots are filled right now by Greg Brown III, Dexter Dennis, and A.J. Lawson. In order to sign Williams, Dallas needs to create a roster spot.

That could mean that Dallas plans on converting one of their two-way deals to a standard contract, but it could also mean that one of their two-way guys could get cut. It could even mean that someone on their main roster is getting cut.

No one knows exactly how Dallas plans on creating that new roster spot, but it'll be interesting to see the next move Dallas makes.

Most likely Dennis having an overseas offer from Europe imho.
Like Reply