Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
Y'all, who gives a shit what other fans/franchises think about Kyrie?  It's about producing on the basketball court, not being voted on to the homecoming court.

Kyrie was great here last year.  Any ill-fit is on Luka because he hasn't grown his game to play off the ball, and Kidd was clueless on how to scheme Luka and Kyrie on the floor at the same time.  Kyrie probably has the best handles in NBA history and is among the best finishing guards.  To not use his full arsenal is foolish.  Hopefully the coaching staff will get their heads out of their asses and Luka grows his game to be even a shadow of himself off the ball.
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 11:19 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with your overall point in the post, but to clarify, I don't "feel strongly" that Kidd doesn't believe in Green, I just think there are signs that could point to that. As you say, we won't know until we know, but some are assuming Green's role to a point where it makes sense to them to expect some crazy numbers, contract wise. All I'm saying is that his rookie contract is almost gone and to this point, he literally has not been a rotation player outside of like a 2 month stretch of last season. Can we make sure he earns a spot in the Mavs' (or any team's, really) top 8-9 guys for a full season before we assume he's going to get north of the MLE? That's all I'm saying.

Unless there's an angle I'm not seeing, one of the following two statements is true:
1) Reggie Bullock, one of the worst rotation players in the NBA last year, was still a better option than Green.
OR
2) #1 is false, but Jason Kidd believed it was true.
Ya, I worded a lot of that post poorly. I see what you’re saying (and I think it is a legit talking point), I just think there’s nothing left to convince us other than seeing the games played. I am probably closer to where you are on this than either side (I might be slightly closer to Dan’s side, but I can’t fully figure out if that is what I want to see, or what I think will happen).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 04:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: 60+, sure. Emphasis on the +.
Good news is he’s incentivized to get at least 65. IMO he’s probably gonna be dead on with that number.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I wince when I see Bullock's starting over J.Green as a an indication that J.Green isn't a solid role player. Bullock was thrown into the DFS role as a tiny PF. As out of position Bullock was, J.Green would have been even moreso. IMO, THJ took J.Green's minutes.
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 11:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's valid, actually. 

But, with the way last season went, and how strongly the numbers pointed to the conclusion that "it's time to go with Green because Bullock is baaaaaad" I'd think most coaches would've pulled the trigger. 

However, you're right. A lot of those guys would trust the guys who had just performed for them in the playoffs the previous season way, way past the point where fans want to give up on them, and I understand where they're coming from, too.

You haven't really weighed in here - what are YOUR expectations for Green's season and/or next contract?

Still in offseason mode.

When it comes to Green my opinion really hasn't changed all that much over the summer. Still think that an early extension (even if it takes slightly more than the MLE) is the best option if he is willing to sign it.
Even if he never takes the next step the worst case is that he ends up as a slightly overpaid 20mpg rotation (basically what he was last season but on a bigger contract). Letting him enter RFA feels like an invation for other teams to test Cuban's willingness to pay.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, mvossman
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 04:08 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Maybe defensively although Anderson was built like a linebacker.  Green is a vastly superior shooter to Anderson and a much better passer.  If Anderson could have shot 40 percent on open 3-pointers, he'd still be an NBA rotation player.  

I really had high hopes for Anderson when we drafted him and in his rookie season.  It might be a cautionary tale for all of us with high expectations for our rookies.

I thought Rick was an idiot for not playing Anderson more, it seemed like that team needed exactly what he was bringing to the table, but the balance of Anderson's career has proven Rick right.  I can't help but worry that there is something about Green's game that the staff is seeing in practice that we don't during games that has kept him from earning more consistent minutes.  I hope they have just been slow playing his development and the arm chair GMs here are right about this being a breakout year for him, but the last few decades of late first round picks here makes it seem unlikely to me.
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 05:09 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Good news is he’s incentivized to get at least 65. IMO he’s probably gonna be dead on with that number.

Good point, with the new rules.
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 06:27 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I thought Rick was an idiot for not playing Anderson more, it seemed like that team needed exactly what he was bringing to the table, but the balance of Anderson's career has proven Rick right.  I can't help but worry that there is something about Green's game that the staff is seeing in practice that we don't during games that has kept him from earning more consistent minutes.  I hope they have just been slow playing his development and the arm chair GMs here are right about this being a breakout year for him, but the last few decades of late first round picks here makes it seem unlikely to me.

While I think Green has already shown more than Anderson ever did and this is an imperfect comparison, it's a great reminder that things don't often work out the way we expect them to work out.
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 05:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Still in offseason mode.

When it comes to Green my opinion really hasn't changed all that much over the summer. Still think that an early extension (even if it takes slightly more than the MLE) is the best option if he is willing to sign it.
Even if he never takes the next step the worst case is that he ends up as a slightly overpaid 20mpg rotation (basically what he was last season but on a bigger contract). Letting him enter RFA feels like an invation for other teams to test Cuban's willingness to pay.

This is generally where I am, too...IF he wins the starting job coming out of camp. 

If he's still coming off the bench, getting inconsistent minutes and not even playing every game, (which, again, is all he has ever done in the NBA, so far) then I think it would be bananas to extend him even right at MLE money. If nothing else, that scenario will teach us that Kidd doesn't want to play him. I'm not locking up a guy my coach doesn't think can play, sorry. 

If he wins the starting job, I'm FINE betting on his upside a little, even before he puts up a consistent season of the kind of numbers Dan is projecting.
Like Reply
Just saw that Dennis Smith Jr had signed with Brooklyn this offseason. It could be an interesting fit for him. Let’s see if he can take another step after solid play last year. I wonder if he could wind up stealing some Dinwiddie minutes. There is a chance if Brooklyn makes a trade that Dinwiddie is the salary fit to another team in a big trade. Might be a good opportunity for Smith to prove his worth and find a home.
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 08:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Good point, with the new rules.
Yep, the new rules too for end of season awards, but his contract has a 65 game bonus as well.
Like Reply
Kyrie is no doubt a top 20 player imo. Take the personal stuff out of it. He's one of the greatest basketball players in the world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
Preseason overreaction...Kuminga is Giannis with a legit jumpshot.
Like Reply
Wemby and Chet was fun to watch. Both dropped 20+ in less than 20 minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Wemby and Chet was fun to watch. Both dropped 20+ in less than 20 minutes.

I need to watch the highlights.  Ya, they're both going to beast.

...that Wemby recovery block on J.Williams is insane!
Like Reply
Wemby is not human.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1711546473278521610
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:45 PM)Both dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Wemby and Chet was fun to watch. Both dropped 20+ in less than 20 minutes.

Both are so skilled.  For their size, they are going to be really fun to watch.  Wemby has the higher upside but seeing Chet handling the ball and also being an elite rim protector is really impressive.  Lively won’t be at that level but I am so glad at least we have a youngster who can do similar stuff on defense in time.

I was pretty down last year looking at all the youth in the west coming to the west last year.  I thought we would try to go all in last year.  I am glad they took the long approach.  Now we just have to hope the youngsters can play.
Like Reply
https://streamable.com/zad876

This video shows everything Wemby can do. And it's gonna be terrifying facing him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-10-2023, 11:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://streamable.com/zad876

This video shows everything Wemby can do. And it's gonna be terrifying facing him.

I can't wait to see him live.  It's interesting that Chet was out all last year and is now having his rookie season with Wemby.  What an incredible rookie class this is.
Like Reply
Good news for coach Spins. I will miss his draft videos.

https://x.com/colbyghoops/status/1711824...42137?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply