Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: Lakers Fire Darvin Ham| POR Revamps Coaching Staff Under Billups
(07-19-2022, 05:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s what I thought. Team was so freaking bad. Have no interest in any of the guys on the Mavs roster and that includes Wright.

I do wonder how much of that is coaching and schemes.  No idea how much of an offense you can install for summer league but there was absolutely no movement for the offense.  Feels like every game, commentators were saying that it's easy to play defense when you don't have to watch your man and can just focus on the ball.
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 05:10 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: A club named Villarreal was in 3rd division in Spain 30 years ago, a club that represents a city with 50K population and they win a European title beating a club that has a stadium that fits over 70K.

Billionaire owner. Buys the team for 500k. Invests. Turns a small community team into a first division club with growing ambitions in european competitions.
That´s how it works.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 05:00 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1549513214127489026?s=20&t=3ymstBs4wc8mhWvrIxTl7w

What's Johnathan Motley up to these days
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0613176323
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 05:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0613176323

OPJ replacement.  The rich get richer.
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 05:00 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1549513214127489026?s=20&t=3ymstBs4wc8mhWvrIxTl7w
Interesting.  From what I gather from this front office, is they are very deliberate and slow to make decisions.   I am not sure if they have bigger plans or are just slow to react.   You need to be ready to pounce on these type of decisions.  Or maybe they really just don't care.  They appear to not have cared last year.   We will see.

As far as Lawson goes, I thought he had the best performance out of everyone on the team.   I thought he played a style that could eventually work in the NBA.   I have no idea if he is NBA caliber though.    I think he was much better than Moses Wright both in play and fit in the NBA.   I wonder if the Mavs wanted to bring him to camp with the chance of a two way, but Minny offered the Two-way to him right away.   I wonder if the same thing happened with Omoruyi.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 05:10 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Hmmm, probably worse.
In Europe there are many leagues that competes against each other,Spain and England are the best ones, English Premier league is wealthier and currently better but Spain waa better league between 2008- 2018 , although even then EPL was wealthier. 

In Spain the main league is 20 teams, the second (lower) division is 22 teams, the 3rd division is 40 teams (was 80 till 2020-2021 season) 
So while drop between top league and lower one is probably less than that of NBA and G-league, the 3rd division is far off.
Only similarity is that top teams has reserve teams they own that competes there, for example Barcelona and Real Madrid reserve teams compete in that league. 
So there are exciting prospects there, for example Messi (arguably Soccer GOAT) played 22 games there when he was young.
Worth noting that at this level, those clubs are bankrupt. So not very expensive for a low end millionaire to buy them. 
If managed well, can be pretty profitable too. 
A club named Villarreal was in 3rd division in Spain 30 years ago, a club that represents a city with 50K population and they win a European title beating a club that has a stadium that fits over 70K.
My brother and his son were just talking about buying a lower tier football club in England during the fourth.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1549560652083208196
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 08:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1549560652083208196

Crazy situation. I guess Charlotte should be happy this is happening as his contract is over?
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 08:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Crazy situation. I guess Charlotte should be happy this is happening as his contract is over?

It's all relative I guess.  This could alter the future of the franchise as they've lost part of their core at no fault of their own.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 05:20 PM)cow Wrote: Time will tell.  Hunt is on a roster right now.

Hunt has played a grand total of 8 minutes on a bad NYK team.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Let me be Mavs2021 for a moment here and just say it - we couldn't even sign our own Summer League guy to a 2-way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 11:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Let me be Mavs2021 for a moment here and just say it - we couldn't even sign our own Summer League guy to a 2-way.
We were too busy not signing Dragic still.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 11:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Let me be Mavs2021 for a moment here and just say it - we couldn't even sign our own Summer League guy to a 2-way.

Are we really losing sleep over not filling a 2-way spot?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 11:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Are we really losing sleep over not filling a 2-way spot?

Over losing a talent that we couldn't really afford to lose at this point. Better not be Dorsey in his place.
Like Reply
(07-20-2022, 12:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Over losing a talent that we couldn't really afford to lose at this point. Better not be Dorsey in his place.

A talent?

I'm willing to sig bet that Lawson doesn't even play in more than 15 games next season.
Like Reply
(07-19-2022, 10:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Hunt has played a grand total of 8 minutes on a bad NYK team.

And he still has a roster spot.  Now look at the end of our bench last year.
Like Reply
[Image: FXEOilzXwAA4PGI?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • HIMAV, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-20-2022, 07:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: FXEOilzXwAA4PGI?format=jpg&name=large]

Missing key skill for beer consumption while participating. That would move fishing, billiards, bowling and curling way up the list.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • Paul Gasol, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-20-2022, 07:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: FXEOilzXwAA4PGI?format=jpg&name=large]
Super interesting! I don’t agree with all of it (billiards / snooker is ridiculously hard) but it’s cool to see sports somewhat objectively ranked…

(07-20-2022, 08:58 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Missing key skill for beer consumption while participating. That would move fishing, billiards, bowling and curling way up the list.
I work with a lot of people who like to fish, and hardly any of them drink while doing it…

for me, that’s basically THE ONLY reason (unless you’re actually dependent on it to eat) to go fishing…
Like Reply