Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: ATL Jumps from #10 to #1 in Lotto| Pistons Mull Firing GM
https://nypost.com/2024/05/05/sports/for...-showdown/

Former Raptor stars face off against each other.
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 11:01 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: we should try something different on them in WCF like a lively-gafford-PJ  rotation for the 4-5 positions with each guy taking 30 more minutes. Morris may deserve some cameos on certain occasions. Powell is not serviceable in the playoffs. it took Minny a season to figure out how to make their two bigs work well together and when it does they're a matchup nightmare even for the nuggets tbh.

I see you're pretty confident you're getting to the WCF huh?
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 08:51 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: I see you're pretty confident you're getting to the WCF huh?

And I love his confidence!!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 11:01 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: we should try something different on them in WCF like a lively-gafford-PJ  rotation for the 4-5 positions with each guy taking 30 more minutes. Morris may deserve some cameos on certain occasions. Powell is not serviceable in the playoffs. it took Minny a season to figure out how to make their two bigs work well together and when it does they're a matchup nightmare even for the nuggets tbh.

Strange comment.  I wouldn't pencil either team into WCF yet.  Also doubt it makes any sense to put Lively and Gafford on the floor together.  I don't think they have any history/experience doing that, and it would likely be offensive shit show.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 11:35 AM)mvossman Wrote: Strange comment.  I wouldn't pencil either team into WCF yet.  Also doubt it makes any sense to put Lively and Gafford on the floor together.  I don't think they have any history/experience doing that, and it would likely be offensive shit show.

It would be pretty awful on defense, too.
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 11:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: And I love his confidence!!

There's no guarantees my friend. Hope they get there, but it's not cast in stone.
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 11:36 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It would be pretty awful on defense, too.

Killer, you're great, but you still have no concept of Lively.
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 12:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Killer, you're great, but you still have no concept of Lively.

I was the one who told you he was gonna be great on defense. Don’t act like you’re defending him from me – I’m way bigger fan of his than you are. He can do what he can do, and no one of his size can do what he can’t do. Them’s the facts.

Did you not see him close out to the corner very slowly all season? And he’s faster than Gafford!

It is extremely obvious that playing them together is the dumbest possible idea.
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 01:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I was the one who told you he was gonna be great on defense. Don’t act like you’re defending him from me – I’m way bigger fan of his than you are. He can do what he can do, and no one of his size can do what he can’t do. Them’s the facts.

Did you not see him close out to the corner very slowly all season? And he’s faster than Gafford!

It is extremely obvious that playing them together is the dumbest possible idea.

Horse pucky on you being the bigger fan. "No one of his size can do what he can't do." This must come as an enormous surprise to Wemby. Not to mention Bam, of whom my player comparison for Lively is a physically stretched-out version of. Not to mention Gobert, who was the poster child for such criticisms until he developed himself in such a way that they no longer applied. And Lively's BBIQ and learning curve flattening are many times greater than Gobert's. 

Your concern may hold true for this year's playoffs. Next year? Aw, hell no. His switchability at his enormous size is going to be one of the traits that make him a significant star in the league.
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 01:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Horse pucky on you being the bigger fan. "No one of his size can do what he can't do." This must come as an enormous surprise to Wemby. Not to mention Bam, of whom my player comparison for Lively is a physically stretched-out version of. Not to mention Gobert, who was the poster child for such criticisms until he developed himself in such a way that they no longer applied. And Lively's BBIQ and learning curve flattening are many times greater than Gobert's. 

Your concern may hold true for this year's playoffs. Next year? Aw, hell no. His switchability at his enormous size is going to be one of the traits that make him a significant star in the league.

If the Mavericks thought he was as switchable as you think, they would allow him to switch. While he has found himself on an island a few times recently, and done pretty well, anyone watching can see clearly that this is not at all what the Mavericks want to happen.

In my opinion, you are taking a great player and hyperbolizing your expectations of him sooo much that it’s almost certain he will end up disappointing you. The reality is that his rookie year has been amazing specifically because he has been allowed to focus on the things he can do well very quickly, and has been levelheaded and mature enough to keep himself focused on those things. I’m not saying he is not agile for his size, but if you are comparing him to Wembanyama, the conversation has officially gone into ludicrous territory. 

And yes, go back and read the draft night thread. I was one of maybe three people in this entire community who liked the pick. I honestly can’t remember where you were at the time, but I do know that no one here gets to tell me I don’t know what’s good about Derrick Lively II. Ever.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
Heck, I am probably the only one here who was upset when they took Lively out of the starting lineup. I am probably the only one here who has been vocal about him being 10 times better than Daniel Gafford.

I stand by those opinions.
Like Reply
Damn a combined 3-24 from the field. One could say Franz Suggs.
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 02:11 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Damn a combined 3-24 from the field. One could say Franz Suggs.

Orlando just can’t buy a bucket, and Cle’s on fire.

It’ll take some Magic for Orlando to win.
Like Reply
(05-05-2024, 02:18 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Orlando just can’t buy a bucket, and Cle’s on fire.

It’ll take some Magic for Orlando to win.

I see what you did there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
@highkin
Blazers are indeed not renewing lead assistant Scott Brooks or Rodney Billups, as the Oregonian reported. They now have three vacancies on Chauncey Billups' staff with Steve Hetzel recently leaving to become Jordi Fernandez's lead assistant in Brooklyn.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I would love to be in Lebron's mind right now. I think the most likely path and probably best is he resigns with LAL. They bring in an approved Lebron HC and are aggressive looking at the trade market this summer. He gets to stay in LAL and not cause any distraction with 2 kids still in school. I would guess that is probably an 80% chance of happening.

With that being said, the Lakers are a good team. I just wonder if Lebron looks at the west and all the good teams and think....how can I win another championship with my current team? It is a tough question because leaving to another team may not be the better option.
Like Reply
Barry Jackson : Riley, asked about Butler trolling Celtics when he couldn't play in the series: "If you're not on the court playing, you should keep your mouth shut."
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 02:37 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Barry Jackson : Riley, asked about Butler trolling Celtics when he couldn't play in the series: "If you're not on the court playing, you should keep your mouth shut."

Ok, so Butler will be on a new team next year. That seems clear.
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 09:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would love to be in Lebron's mind right now.  I think the most likely path and probably best is he resigns with LAL.  They bring in an approved Lebron HC and are aggressive looking at the trade market this summer.  He gets to stay in LAL and not cause any distraction with 2 kids still in school.  I would guess that is probably an 80% chance of happening. 

With that being said, the Lakers are a good team.  I just wonder if Lebron looks at the west and all the good teams and think....how can I win another championship with my current team?  It is a tough question because leaving to another team may not be the better option.

It depends on what his final goals are. If he wants to win 6 or maybe even 7 rings to get above MJ he has to sign a cheap contract and make a very good team great - way better than the Lakers would be with him on a big deal. If he‘s into cashing out and breaking individual records - or building unbreakable ones in the categories he already owns - he’ll stay with the Lakers.
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 02:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, so Butler will be on a new team next year. That seems clear.

Maybe.  Or maybe just a public rebuke for behavior that doesn't reflect the team's values.
Like Reply