Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
(04-19-2024, 12:13 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I don't think Luka dribbles the air out of the ball--except when he has to.  His sole intention is to win at basketball.  As he gets better players around him he is providing them with more and better opportunities to score and win.  If Luka is rolling, though...what the hell...let him go.  He'll still find players around him that are open.  Even though this is a team game, there will always be that one best player.  Who should we play?

Wizardry?  We ain't seen nothing yet.  I think, AS LUKA MATURES, he'll become a true floor general who'll utilize the entirety of the team in ways seldom seen...if ever.  Even Luka has to have help though.  We've seen that in past years.

The only thing that may stop Luka is frustration from team management.  Then he'll jump ship--and I don't think he wants to do that.

I dont want to argue about the lack of talent on those teams, if Luka was sending a message to FO or if it was by the FO/Coaching staffs demands.

I think its bad for basketball as a product if widely used and frequently used around the League.

My opinion is that it should be employed sparingly during the regular season.

No need to argue semantics about "dribbling the air out of the ball" as its a phrase I got from this very website. No need to act like you all have never seen poster frustrated with that style of play or act like you have not seen post from posters thinking the newer, up tempo offense is refreshing compared to Rick-ball.

Getting back to the topic...I think Jalen, KP, Dejaunte have valid points about that style on a regular basis.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 12:35 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I dont want to argue about the lack of talent on those teams, if Luka was sending a message to FO or if it was by the FO/Coaching staffs demands.

I think its bad for basketball as a product if widely used and frequently used around the League.

My opinion is that it should be employed sparingly during the regular season.

No need to argue semantics about "dribbling the air out of the ball" as its a phrase I got from this very website.  No need to act like you all have never seen poster frustrated with that style of play or act like you have not seen post from posters thinking the newer, up tempo offense is refreshing compared to Rick-ball.

Getting back to the topic...I think Jalen, KP, Dejaunte have valid points about that style on a regular basis.

Kinda fascinating how a particular “style” of basketball can be viewed as inherently “bad” or “boring” by some, and “efficient”, “purposeful”, and perhaps even “beautiful” by others.

I tend to think that winning is beautiful, regardless of the style employed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 11:21 AM)youzigizag Wrote: LeBron used to be the best on the planet and he never dribbled the air out of the ball for 20 seconds a possession like Luka did for at least 3 full seasons(19/20, 20/21, 21/22).

Its not a fun style of basketball if employed for a majority of the regular season.  Im not opposed to it in the Playoffs at all.  And...Im not a Luka hater.

Just like I critique THJ shot selection and not passing...Im very against Helio-centric offenses for fans sake and for teammates of Harden and Luka.

Its an interesting idea and worth trying out...but think its bad for basketball on a regular basis, imo.  In Playoffs...got no problem with it.   Here and there during the regular season...got no problem with it.

Its a team game and way more fun when the tempo is up and ball movement is used and everyone eats.

Yes...its a job first and foremost.   Yes...Helio-centric is beautiful concept math wise.   Yes...if you have the Star to execute Helio and you think that offense style can win you a title...USE IT IN THE PLAYOFFS.   Yes...you have to tinker with it during the regular season to iron out kinks with new personnel that come and go.   But use it 85% of the time in games for 85% of the season?  Boring as hell.   Even with Luka putting his wizardry on it.

My opinion is that if there are offensive players in the league that feel they could be held hostage to that style of play for a majority of the season...they will look elsewhere first.

Im not into the "he's the best player in the World, no one else deserves to hold the ball".   Not saying you mean it that strictly...but its an unreasonable take win discussing a team game.

I actually don't think heliocentrism, which until very, very recently was a major problem for this team, is still a problem. The FO put the right talent around Luka, and he is sharing the ball with Kai and to some extent with Exum. In massive contrast to what you have said here, I would be quite dismayed if the Mavs went back to a heliocentric all-Luka approach, because that's not what put them on a winning roll up to game 80. What they need to do is keep playing the way they have.

I'm not confident of a Mavs Larry this year because 1) the team has no depth - as I have written here earlier, if any one of Luka, Kyrie, or Exum, or any two of Landlord, DLive, PJ, DJJ, or Maxi, goes down, the Mavs will be in Cancun within two or three more games. Their run will be over, because zero of guys 9-15 on the roster can be trusted with regular minutes; and 2) they're missing at least one (if not two or three) more piece - a reliable third scorer who can create his own shot (not the "Landlively is our third scorer" horsepucky), who is ideally also a POA defender (can be supplemented with another player if not), and even more, someone who can run the offense. If we lose DJJ, that will be another piece we need to replace. 

Luka-Kyrie-PJ-DLive-Landlord-Exum is an excellent, winning core. They will need to keep building around them. If they address some of the holes this offseason, I think the Mavs will be a 60-win team and championship favorites.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 01:54 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Kinda fascinating how a particular “style” of basketball can be viewed as inherently “bad” or “boring” by some, and “efficient”, “purposeful”, and perhaps even “beautiful” by others.

I tend to think that winning is beautiful, regardless of the style employed.

I think you agree with me and just want to be Devil's advocate.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 02:59 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I actually don't think heliocentrism, which until very, very recently was a major problem for this team, is still a problem. The FO put the right talent around Luka, and he is sharing the ball with Kai and to some extent with Exum. In massive contrast to what you have said here, I would be quite dismayed if the Mavs went back to a heliocentric all-Luka approach, because that's not what put them on a winning roll up to game 80. What they need to do is keep playing the way they have.

I'm not confident of a Mavs Larry this year because 1) the team has no depth - as I have written here earlier, if any one of Luka, Kyrie, or Exum, or any two of Landlord, DLive, PJ, DJJ, or Maxi, goes down, the Mavs will be in Cancun within two or three more games. Their run will be over, because zero of guys 9-15 on the roster can be trusted with regular minutes; and 2) they're missing at least one (if not two or three) more piece - a reliable third scorer who can create his own shot (not the "Landlively is our third scorer" horsepucky), who is ideally also a POA defender (can be supplemented with another player if not), and even more, someone who can run the offense. If we lose DJJ, that will be another piece we need to replace. 

Luka-Kyrie-PJ-DLive-Landlord-Exum is an excellent, winning core. They will need to keep building around them. If they address some of the holes this offseason, I think the Mavs will be a 60-win team and championship favorites.

Luka has changed, this year mostly.   But...does that mean players around the league think its permanent or that things cant go back to Rick-ball?    I think there still may be a stigma that takes a little while to wear off about Luka/Rick-ball.

And yeah...I agree...didnt work for Harden and didnt work for Luka.   Seems to be a pain in the rear to find guys to fit perfectly for that system.  Then there is the negative stigma about that style that could turn FA's away from us. 

I hope that style is used sparingly during the regular season.  Current style is so so much more entertaining than Rick-ball(nothing against Rick as a coach).
Like Reply
tough week for the Porter family.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3997...atal-crash
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 05:57 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: tough week for the Porter family.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3997...atal-crash

Probably tougher for the family of the woman he killed.

If the Heat win two games against Boston, they should hold an impromptu HOF induction ceremony for Spoelstra.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Have to give the Heat credit, that culture is real. I thought the Bulls would take this one with Butler and Rozier out. Bulls look like a totally different team than the one that beat Atlanta down.
Like Reply
Brandon Ingram with a redemption game so far. Kings look like a totally different team vs. when they played the Warriors.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brandon Ingram with a redemption game so far. Kings look like a totally different team vs. when they played the Warriors.

Looks like Keegan Murray pooping the bed is the biggest reason for this, plus defense (the lack thereof).
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:48 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Looks like Keegan Murray pooping the bed is the biggest reason for this, plus defense (the lack thereof).

As I'm watching the game, I'm blaming Fox. The amount of defensive rotations he's missed has added up to at least 12 points. Offensively he's been super meh so far. 

Murray is cold as ice too. But is he the guy for the Kings? He's one of their top 4 guys, but if the Kings are relying on Murray to push them over the edge against a Zion-less Pelicans then they have a problem.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Side note, Davion Mitchell is a winner.
Like Reply
When the Kings keep making Harrison Barnes shoot contested mid range shots to try and comeback down 14

[Image: el-risitas-juan-joya-borja.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 06:29 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Probably tougher for the family of the woman he killed.

Fuck him. 

Porter was speeding and had a blood alcohol level of .19, more than twice the legal limit of .08. He deserves a lot more time than that. According to his statement "It wasn't the first time I chose to drink and drive."
Like Reply
I have to say I was/am more worried about the Pelicans than the Kings or Thunder in a potential round two. I really hope the Thunder use the Zion window to eliminate the Pelicans.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: As I'm watching the game, I'm blaming Fox. The amount of defensive rotations he's missed has added up to at least 12 points. Offensively he's been super meh so far. 

Murray is cold as ice too. But is he the guy for the Kings? He's one of their top 4 guys, but if the Kings are relying on Murray to push them over the edge against a Zion-less Pelicans then they have a problem.

Basically we ended the Kings season a couple of weeks ago. They never recovered from those two crucial home losses and weren‘t the same team afterwards, enhanced by the unfortunate injury of Monk that happened in the first game against us.
[-] The following 4 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • fifteenth, MFFL, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CAlmanza1007/status/...1616016492

Larry Nance on facing the Thunder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 09:43 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://twitter.com/CAlmanza1007/status/...1616016492

"Immediately clarified he isn't literally betting" 

LOL. I bet
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 09:43 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://twitter.com/CAlmanza1007/status/...1616016492

No Jontay Porter and no P Diddy within a week of each other is hilarious.
Like Reply
Extremely poor shooting in the first playoff game. Both teams well below 30 % from three. Orlando needs THJ instead of G.Harris Smile
Like Reply