Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMMER LEAGUE: Gm 5 84-95 loss, JH 15 pts, 3 ast, 3 rbd, 7 TO
(07-06-2022, 08:21 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/...6559612928

Can he hit a curve ball though?  Dude is built like a brick outhouse.
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 09:54 PM)cow Wrote: Can he hit a curve ball though?  Dude is built like a brick outhouse.

Probably weighs as much as one too.
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 10:35 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Probably weighs as much as one too.

It makes me think that at some point, the pendulum HAS to swing back to big guys in the center with developed post moves.  I mean, how badly would prime Shaq destroy all these wimpy C's that most teams are putting out there?  Did you see Lofton body that string bean under the basket then dunk on his head?  That's pretty high percentage.
Like Reply
I saw a bit of the game last night.   Lofton is a skilled player.  He really needs to lose a ton more of weight....he moves well though at his size.   Being a smaller 5 already puts him at a disadvantage.  If he is not serious with his weight, I would consider him a very good G-league player....less so as an NBA player.   Good gamble by Memphis though.

Giddey is too good for summer league.  I love almost everything about his game.   He just needs to develop more as a shooter.  He took several shots from three trying to get reps in and that is what summer league is for.   All were way off.  

I liked what I saw with Jalen Williams.   He is a guy who likes to push the pace and pass the ball up the court.  I love that.  

It was the first time I saw Dieng.  He was not particularly good, but he is really long and a little more muscle definition then I thought.  My first impression is he is a very interesting long term developmental guy.  

Eugene Omoruyi was also playing.   You got to give him the benefit of the doubt as he hasn't played a lot of basketball lately.   So lets give him time, but he looked a step lower in talent than the OKC drafted players.   He didn't scream NBA player to me.   I was hoping we would have brought him back to get a better look at him because something might have been there.   Nothing he did last night really made me regret not bringing him back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 05:43 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was hoping we would have brought him back to get a better look at him because something might have been there.   Nothing he did last night really made me regret not bringing him back.

Looking back at last years summer league it was the same. Underwhelming summer league. Followed by a really good showing in the preseason. Overall it is just hard to evaluate undrafted guys like him if they aren´t getting regular minutes. A couple of summer league or preseason games isn´t enough and with the injury we never saw him in the g-league.
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 05:43 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Giddey

Just love the way he plays. Would love to get him with Luka.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/154...4301603840
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 03:02 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: It makes me think that at some point, the pendulum HAS to swing back to big guys in the center with developed post moves.  I mean, how badly would prime Shaq destroy all these wimpy C's that most teams are putting out there?  Did you see Lofton body that string bean under the basket then dunk on his head?  That's pretty high percentage.

Someone with Shaq's gift isn't going to come along very often and while he'd still dominate, it's not so much a pendulum but more of an evolution.  Embiid can work on the block but can also stretch the floor.  You've also got Jokic who is an incredible passer and can score on all three levels.  With such a focus on shooting, we are going to continue to see fewer and fewer one dimensional players.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...0963602432
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...9304457216
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 03:41 PM)cow Wrote: Someone with Shaq's gift isn't going to come along very often and while he'd still dominate, it's not so much a pendulum but more of an evolution.  Embiid can work on the block but can also stretch the floor.  You've also got Jokic who is an incredible passer and can score on all three levels.  With such a focus on shooting, we are going to continue to see fewer and fewer one dimensional players.

You don't think that at some point, some dominant dude could come along and shoot a crazy high percentage in the paint destroying all these smallball C's and finesse players who are in the league now?  Do you think that prime Shaq would have a place in this era?  Or just unable to cope with the way the game has evolved.  Im kind of interested in opinions on this.  I just see too many wimpy bigs these days and it seems like it could suddenly evolve back to allowing for high percentage looks right at the rim with a physical specimen like him.  There are very few C's in the league right now who could have stopped Shaq.  Now what would he give up on the other end?  That's the issue.
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 09:48 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: You don't think that at some point, some dominant dude could come along and shoot a crazy high percentage in the paint destroying all these smallball C's and finesse players who are in the league now?  Do you think that prime Shaq would have a place in this era?  Or just unable to cope with the way the game has evolved.  Im kind of interested in opinions on this.  I just see too many wimpy bigs these days and it seems like it could suddenly evolve back to allowing for high percentage looks right at the rim with a physical specimen like him.  There are very few C's in the league right now who could have stopped Shaq.  Now what would he give up on the other end?  That's the issue.

Trying to visualize Shaq chasing Steph Curry around a screen...
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • Mavsfan12, MFFL
Like Reply
Banchero is the real deal.  Eason will be a problem for the Mavs
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 10:01 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Trying to visualize Shaq chasing Steph Curry around a screen...

What about 6'6'' Draymond guarding Shaq?
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 10:11 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: What about 6'6'' Draymond guarding Shaq?

3>2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/RTNBA/status/1545244200765104128
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 10:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 3>2

eFG% is really what matters as it accounts for that disparity.  I just think that Shaq would be shooting around 70% on high volume in today's NBA.  For reference, Shaq has a slightly higher career eFG% than Curry, with Shaq at .582 and Curry at .581.  But Shaq compiled his back when bigs were BIGS.  I just think he would be mowing dudes down in this era.
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 10:07 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Eason

I think he will be the gem of the middle first round.
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 10:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 3>2

This. A big guy like Shaq could bowl through everyone and dunk literally every possession and his team would still lose because he would give up wide open 3 after wide open 3 and since 3>2 there wouldn't be enough possessions for them to make up the difference in points. It's what we did to Phoenix this year in the playoffs, we gave up easy buckets at the rim to CP3 and others and just out-mathed them with our 3s.
Like Reply
(07-07-2022, 10:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think he will be the gem of the middle first round.

Houston has some good, young pieces.  I am praying that BKN is able to get some good value for its players because Hou is the direct beneficiary if they suck.  For YEARS.  Houston could build a dynasty off of top end draft picks if BKN falls apart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply