Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-19-2022, 10:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't believe I'm deadset on trading Green but rather, and I'm going to borrow from one of Dan's favorite phrases, you have to give something to get something.

I like Green A LOT. I think his impact is vastly underrated by people who don't peruse this board frequently. We all see his positives, some more believers than others. 

BUT, you have to ask yourself, does Green fit the timeline for a team that wants to win it all next year? If not, how many years will it take him to be that guy based on what we've seen so far? Does he ever get there? Of course he's improved vastly in his first 2 years, but I also recognize that Green basically started as low as one can from a career standpoint, being largely non-existent. He's now a fringe role player. 

These aren't guys that we should prioritize that much. Improvement is rarely linear in the NBA. There's a chance where Green comes out next season and plays awful for 35 games and then all of a sudden everything clicks and he's a 15ppg guy nightly with great defense. There's a chance he'll never crack 1000 points in the NBA. It's all a risk. 
One of Derek Harper's favorite saying's is "This is a 'what have you done for me lately' league." And it's obvious Green had some moments, but I'd trade him 100 times out of 100 if he's needed to complete a deal for a playoff ready wing and I don't/shouldn't think that's a controversial opinion.

Well for one I don't think Green has very much trade value, he's not a blue chip draft pick and he doesn't particularly stand out, there are plenty of young guys around that fit that description, but not plenty that already have two years of experience in our system. The 3 million he's owed next season is the last guaranteed money on his contract because the last year is a team option and he's not even one of our top 10 most highly paid players. 

Let's get back to the guy this thread is about. Wood is an expiring right now which leaves us in a flexible position, for now. If Wood works out he's going to be owed a big contract, though, and thanks to drawing Utah in the first round Brunson's contract is not going to be easy on our books either. This is where Green really has value to us, best case scenario is he continues to develop but not too quickly. If he develops a bit more this next season but not so much that he becomes expensive then you could probably decline his team option and get him back on a very reasonably priced longer term deal that has a chance to turn into a very valuable contract if he continues to keep getting a little better.

There's also a chance Wood doesn't work out, the guy has zero playoff experience so to be honest it is a bit risky to count on him so much for a playoff run this upcoming season. That opens up free agency or a trade deadline move but that is also when you could potentially later regret not trying to develop the one guy on the team who is younger than Luka. Not trying to develop guys like Green is the kind of mentality that got Dirk shackled to some dreadful teams later in his career. Playoff lineups don't run 15 deep. Golden State had two 19 year olds and a 22 year old this season, aside from Poole they didn't get very much from them in the playoffs. Josh Green is the only player we have under the age of 23. We can afford to keep one of those guys. There's more upside to keeping him than there is to his trade value, and I'm thinking more than just for next season
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • Arioch, DallasMaverick, hakeemfaan
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - by MrGoat - 06-20-2022, 03:20 PM