Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-19-2022, 06:18 PM)Winter Wrote: I've made my case for trading Green a while back. It was not a popular position before the playoffs.... and maybe just marginally better now.

But like DVoid above, I believe this "he's still young" excuse just has to stop. Lots of players come into the league young. That's not a reason to keep them. They have to show something in practice and in games. He's had time to show the organization something... and he still can't stay on the court. It's not about his stats as much as it is that he needs to be where he's supposed to be, and he needs to make the right decisions in the moment. If he were doing either, he'd be playing more minutes.

In essence, this is the optimum time to move him. If he stays another year at the end of the bench, he will be worth nothing.

I'm curious what the hit rate is on guys that get drafted in the first round at 20, show significant improvement in their second season but are not quite rotation level yet?  Most of the players on this team were drafted/picked up at an older age and took longer than 2 years to be useful in the NBA, but that is selection bias.  I don't know how many players start on Green's trajectory and flame out, but there are clearly plenty of players who pan out (including the majority of our team).  

I'm skeptical of what value Green has in trades (especially after his playoff performance) because 3&D guys get undervalued in the market and unfinished ones even more so.  Green has a skillset that the Mavs are specifically looking for and I lean towards taking the gamble he continues improvement at 21 vs sending him out as trade fodder.  I'm not saying that I would send him out if he represents real value in a trade, but I doubt that scenario presents itself.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, embellisher, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - by mvossman - 06-19-2022, 08:58 PM