Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-16-2022, 12:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Wood vs. Turner

I am sooo much happier with Wood than Turner. Wood is much more the prototype big that I think the Mavs need for their new system.

Maybe.  But I am guessing if we could turn Wood and Green into Turner, most folks on here would do that in a second.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Jommybone, KillerLeft, Mavs2021
Like Reply
I would have been probably equally as excited about Turner but would have been wayyyyy more concerned about injuries.
Like Reply

I am sooo much happier with Wood than Turner. Wood is much more the prototype big that I think the Mavs need for their new system.

I would have been happy with either but the price-tag on Wood was perfect and so this is an A+ trade to me
[-] The following 7 users Like StepBackJay's post:
  • Arioch, Jommybone, KillerLeft, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, Tyler, VintagePejav2
Like Reply

I think I would've been more excited about Turner, but there's no question this path comes with less risk, especially asset wise. 

They literally added a free trial on a top-6/7 of the rotation guy without giving up ANY of their top rotation guys. That's the scenario we were using a month ago to make fun of each others' unrealistic expectations. Gotta take this chance, imo.

(06-16-2022, 01:39 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I would have been happy with either but the price-tag on Wood was perfect and so this is an A+ trade to me

Exactly.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, ItsGoTime, MFFL, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
This is sync'd up to the Christian Wood discussion these guys had (with info from a Rockets media guy) before the trade. I found it pretty interesting. 

The offensive description kind of reminds me of Porzingis, personally. Not sure I like that. But, contrary to the conclusion these two draw, the defensive description kind of excites me. I think it's more in line with where the game is going (already is, really) than what the majority of this board wants from the 5. 

https://youtu.be/9YEdYkpDDVY?t=1392
Like Reply
I think, in addition to the asset price being right in Wood's case, this move demonstrates that the following two things are the chief, primary concerns for the Mavs when it comes to center play:

1) shooting ability, for spacing purposes - pulling the opposing defenders out of the paint

2) the ability to switch the pnr on defense and not get torched - I think this is how Powell lasted as long as the starter as he did

I honestly believe anything else Wood brings to the table (and there are some other things) are bonuses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
I'm pretty excited about the deal. Wood checks a lot of boxes that a modern center has to be able to do. Off the top of my head.

Can he hit his 3's CHECK
Is he capable in the pick and roll? CHECK (although Houston fans think he's lazy on picks)
Can he hit the pick and pop? CHECK
Is he mobile enough on defense to cover the perimeter? CHECK
Is he a shot blocker? NOPE
Is he a plus rebounder? CHECK [added after KL reminded me about rebounding]
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 04:26 PM)MFFL Wrote: I'm pretty excited about the deal. Wood checks a lot of boxes that a modern center has to be able to do. Off the top of my head.

Can he hit his 3's CHECK
Is he capable in the pick and roll? CHECK (although Houston fans think he's lazy on picks)
Can he hit the pick and pop? CHECK
Is he mobile enough on defense to cover the perimeter? CHECK
Is he a shot blocker? NOPE

This is my sense of what to expect, too. He seems like he’ll help on the glass as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 04:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is my sense of what to expect, too. He seems like he’ll help on the glass as well.

LOL - I forgot rebounding CHECK
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 08:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: that makes sense.  I guess its not tampering to make this decision now.  I didn't know you could do that.

The Mavs can trade now, if they line up a legal, agreed trade.

In this case, it's not legal right now. But they can certainly discuss it, and agree with the Rox that it gets done later. You have seen deals like this before, as they happen with some regularity.

Important to note, that this is NOT an actual trade yet. Neither team did (or can) announce it. It's not on the record, and technically neither team is obligated until it is legal and submitted to the league office for approval. That earliest date is June 23, after round 1 of the draft is done.

It's also possible that the trade gets expanded between now and then. Other teams could get added, with side deals that somehow tie in to what's already informally 'agreed.'
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
Nothing here that our @"F Gump", @"DanSchwartzgan" and others don't know, but I actually found some useful explanations and reminders clearly stated in this video. 

https://youtu.be/JJsScz1QDB4
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump
Like Reply
[Image: FVaM_FUWQAA7rL0?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 01:38 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I would have been probably equally as excited about Turner but would have been wayyyyy more concerned about injuries.

Am I the only the one who has noticed how poor Turner's rebounding is?
[-] The following 4 users Like nash_funk's post:
  • embellisher, Kammrath, MFFL, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:01 PM)nash_funk Wrote: Am I the only the one who has noticed how poor Turner's rebounding is?

No, we talked about it. I think the selling point on Turner is the defense, which is great, when he's healthy. I think the injury history is more concerning than the rebounding with him, personally. 

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!!
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, we talked about it. I think the selling point on Turner is the defense, which is great, when he's healthy. I think the injury history is more concerning than the rebounding with him, personally. 

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!!

Thanks!

Ya, I'd rather a 20/10 center who isn't always injured.
[-] The following 3 users Like nash_funk's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
I hope they try to sign TJ Warren. I like his game.
Like Reply
I'm probably the only one but Wood doesn't give me wood at all.  He is Shareef Abdur Rahim.  Not in game, but in impact.  Just really nothing.  

20/10 on a going nowhere team, and has a questionable attitude.  And if the Mavs are going to find a 6'10" power forward/small ball center, I wish it would be a guy who could defend a chair.  But that's just me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:48 PM)Bayliss Wrote: I'm probably the only one but Wood doesn't give me wood at all.  He is Shareef Abdur Rahim.  Not in game, but in impact.  Just really nothing.  

20/10 on a going nowhere team, and has a questionable attitude.  And if the Mavs are going to find a 6'10" power forward/small ball center, I wish it would be a guy who could defend a chair.  But that's just me.

Good news. Even if you are right it didn´t cost the Mavs a lot to find out. One could argue that getting out of four contracts alone has some value. And Wood´s contract expires so we aren´t looking at a KP like situation with max salary on a multi year deal.
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • embellisher, KillerLeft, MFFL, Paul Gasol, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Good news. Even if you are right it didn´t cost the Mavs a lot to find out. One could argue that getting out of four contracts alone has some value. And Wood´s contract expires so we aren´t looking at a KP like situation with max salary on a multi year deal.

But I thought Boban was Doncic's security blanket a la Linus?

And while they got rid of the end of the bench, they did so by giving away another first rounder.  And yes Wood may be better than the 26th pick now.....  but I am just sick of the Mavs punting on draft picks.  You can't find a Robert Williams if you don't draft.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:48 PM)Bayliss Wrote: Not in game, but in impact. 

In DET he was +10.9 on/off. His first year in HOU he was +6.5 on/off. Last year he was -1.2 on/off, but I wouldn't count that because of the crap show that HOU was.
Like Reply