Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-15-2022, 11:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: Given Kidd's leaning towards single big mobile defenses, I'm not sure he will be looking to put Wood at the PF spot.  I think pairing him with a center takes away some of his offensive value with someone clogging up the lane, and one of his biggest pluses is that you can play 5 out with him at center.  I'm sure they will add a vet min center, but in my mind their remaining assets should focus on a 3&D big wing.

Time will tell on the Wood D and the rest of the roster, but the O should be greatly improved.  One way or another it will be Luka, Brunson, DFS and Wood plus someone.  Wood rolls and scores and pops and scores.  How does a D stop that?  Should be easier to score when things get tight in the playoffs.  We really needed more easy scoring against GS.

We could currently start any of Powell, Maxi, Bullock or THJ next to those four with Bullock still the most likely.  He's probably the weakest link too, but the O and D were both better last season when he was in the game.  Nothing really needs to happen with THJ.  In fact, it shouldn't until the TDL when his value is presumably greater.  I've said before it wouldn't surprise me if Powell is still here this season.  His role should better fit his ability behind Wood.

I wonder if you could trade controlled Josh Green for expiring Kenrich Williams and get the 34th pick out of it.  You could draft the project center and have a 3/4 with a little more bulk and more proven shooting than Green.  I think Wood grades out better as a center, so it would surprise me for Dallas to trade for someone who might displace him at the position.  A bench of Powell, Maxi/KWill/THJ and Dinwiddie would be strong.  

On a less positive note...does this change anything about a potential package from NY in a Brunson S&T?  I would push for Toppin as part of the return package if it comes to that.  I love him at PF next to Wood and pushing DFS to the three.  Funny enough, trading all of these smaller contracts makes a Brunson S&T just a little more difficult.  You have to send something to a third team and now Green is really the only candidate.  Maybe that means they are really sure about Brunson staying.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • hakeemfaan, michaeltex, Tyler
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/153...8220545024
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JTGatlin/status/1537292569608069124
Like Reply
Wow.

Put my head down and work for awhile and Nico starts making it happen.

No matter the D, getting a contributor for those guys is impressive.
[-] The following 3 users Like LifeAquatic's post:
  • embellisher, Fuerza1, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 11:50 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wood rolls and scores and pops and scores.  How does a D stop that?  Should be easier to score when things get tight in the playoffs.

This is why I wanted JC. This is a nice consolation to that and reassuring that Nico is seeing what I am seeing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, embellisher
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 11:50 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: a 3/4

This. A "big wing" is the big need IMO now. 

I really loved the idea (dream) of Eason/Liddell filling that role to some extent. Nico will make me a lifelong fan if he gets back into this draft somehow.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 11:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/153...8220545024

I hope he grabs the 2nd chance or 10th chance he has got but this is a guy who didn’t show up for Covid testing, was uninterested in playing, got called out by a coach and got suspended. For someone who got his first really big contract after so many chances he didn’t seem particularly grateful and wanting to show his professionalism.  

I do like the trade from an offensive standpoint. We traded away players (though Boban’s presence will be missed in the locker room)who could not get on the floor and got a legit offensive starter.  I am not even that concerned about the defense as long as Wood gives some effort. I have concerns about his attitude though and am not rushing in to classify him as a “good guy” just because he got traded here. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/art...742895.php
[-] The following 4 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • khaled1987, KillerLeft, MrGoat, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Excellent trade as many have pointed out. We didn't give up anything that would contribute next season for a player that averaged almost 20 ppg. The idea of Wood offensively is one of the best options next to Luka, I hope it works. 

From here on Mavs basically need to make an all in move for a two way wing, whenever the opportunity comes. Either this summer, TDL or next summer. The sooner the better. 

Fill the end of the bench with a vet or two that can turn back the clock (as Its go time puts it) here and there. Dragic is the first name that comes to mind.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Wow, Nico didn't wait around to get his guy. Before the Finals are even over. What a refreshing change from the little Donnie era.

Wood's flaws are well-known at this point, which is why we were able to get him for this price, but there was really no choice but to pull the trigger. It's low-risk, with potentially ultra-high rewards if Kidd can get Wood to buy in on the defensive end.
Like Reply
One possibility nobody has mentioned yet. Christian Wood is a lot better trade asset than Brown/Burke/Chriss/Boban. He might not be worth much, but at least the Pacers or Bulls don´t immediately hang up and flush the phone down the toilet, when you call about Turner or Vucevic.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime, MFFL
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 03:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: One possibility nobody has mentioned yet. Christian Wood is a lot better trade asset than Brown/Burke/Chriss/Boban. He might not be worth much, but at least the Pacers or Bulls don´t immediately hang up and flush the phone down the toilet, when you call about Turner or Vucevic.

Definitely. I suspect the Mavs won't be in a hurry to extend Wood, it's very important he proves himself first.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Fuerza1
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 08:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ok, this is an absolute steal! I also have my doubts that Wood is exactly what the team needs (if he’s our starting C), but there is no denying this trade is a major upgrade. Also love reading that Sweeney was a part of his growth (at the very least was a first hand witness to it).

Both were in Detroit 2 or 3 years ago, so the familiarity is there.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 10:57 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not sure Powell is any more of a center than Wood or Maxi.  Wood is the better rebounder and rim protector.  I'm guessing Wood plays the majority of his minutes at center and Maxi could go either way depending on what else they do.

Wood is the better rebounder between all 3 by a large margin.  But Kleber is the best big defender and rim protector, they have and  it's not even close. I'm not sold on him, as there are reports some teammates say he's hard to get along with.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 12:15 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I hope he grabs the 2nd chance or 10th chance he has got but this is a guy who didn’t show up for Covid testing, was uninterested in playing, got called out by a coach and got suspended. For someone who got his first really big contract after so many chances he didn’t seem particularly grateful and wanting to show his professionalism.  

I do like the trade from an offensive standpoint. We traded away players (though Boban’s presence will be missed in the locker room)who could not get on the floor and got a legit offensive starter.  I am not even that concerned about the defense as long as Wood gives some effort. I have concerns about his attitude though and am not rushing in to classify him as a “good guy” just because he got traded here. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/art...742895.php

https://twitter.com/LandryLocker/status/...wcon%5Es1_

I'm not going to pretend there aren't concerns, he was available this cheaply for a reason. I'm ultimately still fine with it because of the price and he's an expiring so we didn't shackle ourselves to him long term if his red flags come home to roost. Our offense was pretty pedestrian under Kidd so hopefully this helps juice it a bit. We still need to add a defensive big but we opened up roster spaces to do so with this trade too so that's another plus. Need someone more physical down low for some matchups, maybe Robin Lopez could be had for a minimum
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
fantastic trade and fit in a Luka offense. We have seen Brunson/SD being able to take advantge of the space Luka creates through penetration and finishing around the rim. We badly needed other players to do so, as we have too many stationary 3&D guys around Luka. We need more players that can do more with the ball, and Wood is exactly that. In addition to make the open 3s, he has the ability when Luka is doubled to attack the rim or shoot. He can rim roll as well. No doubt this is massive upgrade on offensive end and we have seen Powell completely ineffective in playoffs.

how is Wood moving on defense, how is he on perimeter? His offensive skills are way more clear to me than the defensive ones.
Like Reply
This move really has almost no risk to it because of the expiring contract, so bravo. While we may not like Wood's defense, we do have to bear in mind that Kidd taught the rest of this team to play team defense last season... so I'm not sure there's any reason to assume he can't play defense under this team.

As someone else pointed out, another C\PF type will likely be added, so there's more to come.
Like Reply
I think it is a nice trade for both teams.   Wood is very little risk for the Mavs with a nice ceiling.  Sure there are concerns, but he really provides nice upside.   

For Houston, They have Senguin from last year, pick # 3 this year and Garuba from last years draft as well.    Might as well get something for Wood now.  Instead of needing to play him, wondering if you can resign him or trading him before he becomes a FA.   I am sure Houston fans wanted something more but securing a first round pick (albeit a late one) is a solid haul.   I would have preferred a 23 pick but there is no guarantee that would have been available if they held onto him into the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 06:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think it is a nice trade for both teams.   Wood is very little risk for the Mavs with a nice ceiling.  Sure there are concerns, but he really provides nice upside.   

For Houston, They have Senguin from last year, pick # 3 this year and Garuba from last years draft as well.    Might as well get something for Wood now.  Instead of needing to play him, wondering if you can resign him or trading him before he becomes a FA.   I am sure Houston fans wanted something more but securing a first round pick (albeit a late one) is a solid haul.   I would have preferred a 23 pick but there is no guarantee that would have been available if they held onto him into the season.

They will try to use their multiple picks to see if they can move up so that they have another high pick in addition to their top 5 pick.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 03:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: One possibility nobody has mentioned yet. Christian Wood is a lot better trade asset than Brown/Burke/Chriss/Boban. He might not be worth much, but at least the Pacers or Bulls don´t immediately hang up and flush the phone down the toilet, when you call about Turner or Vucevic.

Because the trade is still "open" until after the first round, the deal could actually be added to.  So, normal aggregation rules don't apply...yet.  You could combine Wood with THJ and bring back a big dollar guy you wouldn't have been able to get by sending out Powell/THJ.  Technically you'd be matching with the outgoing we sent to Houston plus whatever player you might add (in this example THJ).  The window for this will shut once the deal is done.  Does Wood/Green get you something Powell/Green wouldn't have?

Extensions will be interesting to watch.  The only players who are guaranteed to return next season (at least right now) are Luka, THJ, Bertans and DFS.  Hopefully Brunson is added to the list and probably SD qualifies for his full pay by hitting his minutes hurdle.  It will be a while before Wood is eligible.  What do they do with Maxi and Powell?  Extend?  Wait til later in the season?  Let them become FA's next summer?

I personally think they are largely done.  Maybe a veteran bench guy who they can keep in bubble wrap until the playoffs and an extra big body.  There just isn't anyone out there worth salary plus 3X salary in tax.  They already took on a little extra money by doing the deal they did.  That doesn't mean they can't do something at the TDL.  In fact, part of filling out the roster with playable guys might be to make sure there is enough of a roster left after a midseason deal
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, Tyler
Like Reply

This was my immediate thought.  The Mavs have been pretty clear that they want a big that can provide rim protection, and Wood isn't that, but he's definitely a better talent and trade asset that might help them get that player.  Of course, even if that doesn't happen, this is still a big rebounding and scoring upgrade in the front court.
Like Reply