Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-23-2022, 01:42 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: The disagreement is about looking at Green as a mere future potential guy. He is more than that From what I saw he had improved from year 1 and contributed on most nights this year when given a chance. We are not talking about the future.  

I doubt you actually mean that. If we're not talking about the future, then you're keeping a player that the coaching staff couldn't play in the playoffs. You've decided that you are going to give a contract raise in 2022-23 to a player who currently makes the coaching staff nervous in crunch time. In that case, he's no different than Sterling Brown.... and I don't think anyone in this forum was eager to hold onto him.

So the risk is that he must get good enough to break into the rotation this upcoming season. And I don't mean averaging 10-12 mpg. And yet, there will be players out there who have played 25-30 mpg in playoff situations that may be available. 

I don't really understand that logic. I personally think keeping him is really a bigger risk than trading him for something more useful. 

We can just agree to disagree. I don't think I'll ever see it the way you do.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 02:13 PM)Winter Wrote: I doubt you actually mean that. If we're not talking about the future, then you're keeping a player that the coaching staff couldn't play in the playoffs. You've decided that you are going to give a contract raise in 2022-23 to a player who currently makes the coaching staff nervous in crunch time. In that case, he's no different than Sterling Brown.... and I don't think anyone in this forum was eager to hold onto him.

So the risk is that he must get good enough to break into the rotation this upcoming season. And I don't mean averaging 10-12 mpg. And yet, there will be players out there who have played 25-30 mpg in playoff situations that we could trade for. 

I personally think keeping him is a bigger risk than trading him for something more useful..

He couldn't play in the playoffs, last season. His rookie year he was unplayable even in the regular season. It was a testament to how far he'd come that Kidd even gave him an actual attempt in the playoffs. DFS and Reggie aren't getting any younger, really all Green needs to do to be worth his piddly 3M next season that doesn't even rank top 10 on the team is to improve a little more to take a little more of the load off of DFS and Reggie in the regular season, anything in the playoffs would just be a bonus. Josh Green is 21 and showed improvement so you can play the long game with him, Sterling Brown is 27 and actually regressed from his previous season, that's why no one wanted Sterling back.
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 02:13 PM)Winter Wrote: I doubt you actually mean that. If we're not talking about the future, then you're keeping a player that the coaching staff couldn't play in the playoffs. You've decided that you are going to give a contract raise in 2022-23 to a player who currently makes the coaching staff nervous in crunch time. In that case, he's no different than Sterling Brown.... and I don't think anyone in this forum was eager to hold onto him.

So the risk is that he must get good enough to break into the rotation this upcoming season. And I don't mean averaging 10-12 mpg. And yet, there will be players out there who have played 25-30 mpg in playoff situations that may be available. 

I don't really understand that logic. I personally think keeping him is really a bigger risk than trading him for something more useful. 

I'm curios what you think we are going to get for him in a trade?  Are you a proponent of sending him out for an early second round pick and burning some tax MLE to get bird rights and make him restricted?  I think you might be overestimating his trade value.  It does not really make sense to trade him for a vet who will be 11 or 12 on the roster.  We already got that value from him last season.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 03:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm curios what you think we are going to get for him in a trade?

At present, I have a hard time imagining anything that isn't a "package" or perhaps some draft switch in the second round to save money.

So, I doubt there's any one-for-one scenario. At this point, I really think it might 50-50 that he stays and plays. I wouldn't have a big problem with that if he stays. My point all along is simply to have the best player... and I suspect the front office feels the same way. But an adequate trade may not present itself.

I cannot understand people's absolute desire to project him into something. To me, it's just cheerleading. I just don't understand it when other players might clearly be better suited for this team. Because he's young and athletic is just not a reason for me to like him as a basketball player. I think the G League is full of players who are his equal.
Like Reply

Which is why I mentioned Kuminga and Moody. They didn’t play much in the playoffs and I like them both better than Green. Playoff minutes are not the only way to look at things. The season is long. You need a fair mix of young legs to keep everyone fresh even if rotations are shortened in the post season
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 04:52 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Which is why I mentioned Kuminga and Moody

These players play for one of the deepest teams in the NBA. GS was 9-players deep in the playoffs (Klay, Curry, Poole, Porter, Green, Payton, Bjelica, Wiggins, Looney). Dallas generally had 6 in close games. Unlike Dallas, Golden State isn't dumping 4 players who rarely play. The Mavericks are seeking bench depth and they've made that pretty clear.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 05:35 PM)Winter Wrote: These players play for one of the deepest teams in the NBA. GS was 9-players deep in the playoffs. Dallas generally had 6. Unlike Dallas, Golden State isn't dumping 4 players who rarely play. The Mavericks are seeking bench depth and they've made that pretty clear.

Then having a deep bench is why they couldn’t get the #6 overall player more minutes?  A journeyman guard in Payton got mot minutes. Should GS say let’s go and trade Kuminga and Moody for more veterans who can get minutes?  

That is a very short sighted approach.  Green contributed this year and showed improvement but just like a lot of other young guys he fell out of the rotation in the playoffs.  When someone says that you are not understanding and instead saying how folks are overrating Green. No one is overrating Green.  At least that can be categorized as not understanding what the other side is saying.  However when you totally ignore that Green contributed and showed improvement this year, then I don’t even know what to say.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 05:55 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Should GS say let’s go and trade Kuminga and Moody for more veterans who can get minutes?  

No. GS is deep enough they don't need anyone. The Mavericks do.

I'm done here.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/...7619805185
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
[Image: FV__WQDXgAAXSVe?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...2161523712
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Arioch, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, Tyler
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1540231295984353280
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...2133843968
Like Reply
So draft night has come and gone. Is the trade submitted or not? If not, what’s the hold up? Are modifications still in the works? Mavs sure have worked under the radar without Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 10:49 AM)Jommybone Wrote: So draft night has come and gone. Is the trade submitted or not? If not, what’s the hold up? Are modifications still in the works? Mavs sure have worked under the radar without Donnie.

Yes, the Wood trade is done and official. (It was done at the end of round 1.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Chriswood_5/status/1...6196829185
[-] The following 5 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Hypermav, MAVS-SLO, Okstate819, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/Chriswood_5/status/1...6196829185

Finally he speaks.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:57 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Finally he speaks.

Maybe he was on vacation. Found it odd that I hadn't heard a peep out of him since the trade until that
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:01 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Maybe he was on vacation. Found it odd that I hadn't heard a peep out of him since the trade until that

Probably couldn't say anything until the trade was official. Now, it is.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
If Wood has his head straight and works on his defense, Dallas is a lock for a play-off seed, this, regardless of how the JB off-season turns out.
Like Reply