Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-17-2022, 10:46 AM)haveitall Wrote: https://www.basketballinsiders.com/histo...number-26/

history of 26th picks 

Unless its an amazing pick like Bane or Jokic mavs win hands down.

Well all we needed to do was trade down a spot and we would have gotten our Rudy Gobert, Pascal Siakam, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Robert Williams III, Kyle Kuzma or worst case Larry Nance Jr. That´s the 27th pick from 2013 to 2018. Tongue 

I don´t slam the trade, I´m very interested in the follow-up. 12 months from now Wood could walk. If we just use the three open roster spots to sign Pinson and two old folks, then we potentially gained nothing. Of course Wood could also be awesome and we make some great decisions for the rest of the summer.

Nevertheless this excuse of he´s two years away from two years away is getting stupid. You can find exceptional players late in the 1st round and early in the 2nd round. Obviously the chances are small, when you don´t commit to the process and only have one pick every five years. If you collect and cultivate the assets then you´ll eventually hit on them like Memphis. With the new supermax contracts, you need these cheap contributors.

If the Mavs morons had completed the tank properly in 2017, we might have Tatum and Luka right now.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 11:03 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well all we needed to do was trade down a spot and we would have gotten our Rudy Gobert, Pascal Siakam, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Robert Williams III, Kyle Kuzma or worst case Larry Nance Jr. That´s the 27th pick from 2013 to 2018. Tongue 

I don´t slam the trade, I´m very interested in the follow-up. 12 months from now Wood could walk. If we just use the three open roster spots to sign Pinson and two old folks, then we potentially gained nothing. Of course Wood could also be awesome and we make some great decisions for the rest of the summer.

Nevertheless this excuse of he´s two years away from two years away is getting stupid. You can find exceptional players late in the 1st round and early in the 2nd round. Obviously the chances are small, when you don´t commit to the process and only have one pick every five years. If you collect and cultivate the assets then you´ll eventually hit on them like Memphis. With the new supermax contracts, you need these cheap contributors.

If the Mavs morons had completed the tank properly in 2017, we might have Tatum and Luka right now.
As it was, they could have Luka and Mitchell right now.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 11:20 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: As it was, they could have Luka and Mitchell right now.

Could have Luka and Bam. That´s the jackpot pairing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 11:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Could have Luka and Bam. That´s the jackpot pairing.
Pretty sure there was a chance to pair Luka and Jokic, hehe.
Like Reply
I hope we're not done with the frontcourt.  I'd love to pair John Collins with Wood.  Thoughts?  What would it take to make this happen?
[-] The following 1 user Likes nash_funk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:06 PM)nash_funk Wrote: I hope we're not done with the frontcourt.  I'd love to pair John Collins with Wood.  Thoughts?  What would it take to make this happen?

An act of God!
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:06 PM)nash_funk Wrote: I hope we're not done with the frontcourt.  I'd love to pair John Collins with Wood.  Thoughts?  What would it take to make this happen?

Way more than they can offer, I’ll bet. 

Although I will say that Collins is about the level where I start to be ok with using future picks. And, I do still think he fits, even after the Wood trade.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Way more than they can offer, I’ll bet. 

Although I will say that Collins is about the level where I start to be ok with using future picks. And, I do still think he fits, even after the Wood trade.
Even if it’s too much talent for 1 team, the trade market is still there! More talent is more. We’re still in heavy (on court) talent acquisition mode as far as I’m concerned. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade!
Like Reply
Grant would be incredible if he would agree to take a backseat to Luka and Brunson. It's not likely, but I would still explore it just in case. Maybe he's ready to win after two awful years in Detroit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:30 PM)loki Wrote: Grant would be incredible if he would agree to take a backseat to Luka and Brunson. It's not likely, but I would still explore it just in case. Maybe he's ready to win after two awful years in Detroit.
How far does that backseat go? Wood is no slouch on O either.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:06 PM)nash_funk Wrote: I'd love to pair John Collins with Wood.

John Collins is still my target for a big trade. Not sure this is the offseason it would happen, but being able to play Luka, JB, DFS, JC, and CW would be incredible. I absolutely trade Maxi+RB+JG+picks for JC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • nash_funk
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: John Collins is still my target for a big trade. Not sure this is the offseason it would happen, but being able to play Luka, JB, DFS, JC, and CW would be incredible. I absolutely trade Maxi+RB+JG+picks for JC.

I agree that this is a championship lineup that could compete with GS.

PG - Luka
SG - Brunson
SF - Finney Smith
PF - Collins
C - Wood

I'd throw any of the roster not listed above and future picks to make that happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nash_funk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:56 PM)nash_funk Wrote: I agree that this is a championship lineup that could compete with GS.

PG - Luka
SG - Brunson
SF - Finney Smith
PF - Collins
C - Wood

I'd throw any of the roster not listed above and future picks to make that happen.

I'd even S&T Brunson for Collins.  Start Hardaway Jr at SG.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:56 PM)nash_funk Wrote: I agree that this is a championship lineup that could compete with GS.

PG - Luka
SG - Brunson
SF - Finney Smith
PF - Collins
C - Wood

Very talented roster. Worth dreaming about. Not sure there’s enough defense there, however. 

Might be worth doing anyway as sort of a transitional, stepping stone attempt.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, VintagePejav2
Like Reply

PG - Luka
SG - Brunson
SF - Finney Smith
PF - Collins
C - Wood

Would be the best offense in the league, but I don't see how even Kidd could make that a top 10 defense.  The only plus defender in that group is Dorian.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, omahen, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 10:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Agree. Dinwidde was a terrible defender and locker room cancer as well. At least according to Wizards fans. Turned out that he was just in a completly dysfunctional environment.

I would argue the situations are a little different.  I don't think there was anything negative about him in Brooklyn, and the only reason he left there was bad timing with the knee and they were big game hunting.  Wood has a lot more history of attitude issues that go way beyond Houston.  I'm not saying he can't pull his shit together in a better situation but I think the history is a lot worse than Din.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 07:48 AM)MrGoat Wrote: "Wood displays slow feet while guarding the pick and roll and will regularly get bullied around the basket by guards that lower their shoulder. Wood has a slight frame, which doesn’t help, but he just doesn’t seem to move as fast as he should to the ball. Wood’s athleticism will bail him out occasionally, but he only averaged one block per game during his two seasons in Houston. Opponents shot 63.1 percent at the rim against Wood last season, which isn’t good enough for a starting center. For those curious — that number for Powell last season was 62.7 percent and Wood doesn’t compensate his poor rim defense with an ability to switch and trap on the perimeter like Powell can."

That is scathing for a Mavs tinted article. I want to see some evidence that he is as poor at switching and trapping as claimed but the defenses he is on always seem to be bad so it might check out. I still like the trade because of the price and the clearance of roster spots. I still want one of the open roster spots to go to a rim protector for some defensive insurance.

After KP's last game with us our defensive rating was 106.8, which would have been good for third in the league. In the 32 games afterward the team had a defensive rating of 112.6, that is below league average. In the playoffs? 113.3. Rim protection matters

Milwaukee won a title starting Brook Lopez at center. The Warriors struggled the most this playoffs when Steven Adams was on the court. All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt if we use one of the three or so roster spots we opened up on a full sized "dinosaur" rim protecting big for certain situations. 

While I am not thinking they need another center, you make a good case for a defensive-oriented big.

OTOH it isn't quite as easy as getting a big defender, because it's hard to get a guy like this on the floor if his offense is quite inferior. Guys like Gobert and Ayton got played off the floor in the playoffs, and it will be so hard to find one who is better than them.

If you could platoon your scoring bigs and your defending bigs, then it works. But you can't. So now what?
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 02:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: While I am not thinking they need another center, you make a good case for a defensive-oriented big.

OTOH it isn't quite as easy as getting a big defender, because it's hard to get a guy like this on the floor if his offense is quite inferior. Guys like Gobert and Ayton got played off the floor in the playoffs, and it will be so hard to find one who is better than them.

If you could platoon your scoring bigs and your defending bigs, then it works. But you can't. So now what?

McGee who is a good defender and has enough offensive game that he'll need to be respected.  Is also someone we can afford and will not be looking for starters minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • MrGoat, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 02:26 PM)cow Wrote: McGee who is a good defender and has enough offensive game that he'll need to be respected.  Is also someone we can afford and will not be looking for starters minutes.

McGee seems like the most realistic option that I would want myself, he's also a guy with rings that he could show off to make the rest of the guys hungrier. If Hartenstein could be had for the MLE that would be a massive coup though even if it would be expensive on the tax.

We have 4 open spots. I guess we don't have to fill them all but Dragic, a bigger wing, and McGee would probably do to really shore up our depth
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:32 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: How far does that backseat go? Wood is no slouch on O either.

3A-Wood/3B-Grant to keep everyone happy? Maybe it doesn't work, but somehow they need to keep adding talent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply