Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-17-2022, 08:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: As long as he plays hard and has more on-court chemistry with Luka than Porzingis did, Wood will put up numbers, offensively. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he's an all star here at some point, if things play out in the best case version.

If Wood is an all star here then the Mavs would be legitimate title threats.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:41 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: No different than what I said, just worded differently. I just get quoted and singled out for not talking about what some don’t want to talk about. Then I’m bullying them because I didn’t respond kindly to their aggression.

I know it's what you said. I was agreeing with you. I don't think anyone has called you a bully. I certainly haven't.

(06-17-2022, 08:48 AM)Dirknows Wrote: If Wood is an all star here then the Mavs would be legitimate title threats.

It would be pretty amazing to have TWO all stars on this team. Been a looooong time since that happened. I'd say Brunson and Wood both have a chance of getting there in the near future. I think imagining that requires optimism, but it's not a pipe dream.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I wouldn't be shocked if he's an all star here at some point, if things play out in the best case version.

I do think the "best case scenario" ends with Wood as an All Star.....but I would be SHOCKED at that outcome, utterly SHOCKED. I think it has maybe a 1% chance of happening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:49 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I know it's what you said. I was agreeing with you. I don't think anyone has called you a bully. I certainly haven't.
Not in this interaction. Was called that recently though.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:51 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I do think the "best case scenario" ends with Wood as an All Star.....but I would be SHOCKED at that outcome, utterly SHOCKED. I think it has maybe a 1% chance of happening.

Really? 

What are you seeing that I'm not? I don't think it's likely, but I'd put it higher than 1%.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:47 AM)Smitty Wrote: All good here, I didn't mean it aggressively. I was just shocked that people were already discussing trading him. I didn't go back and read other posts about it.

My thoughts on trading him has nothing to do with whether or not he's going to fit well on the Mavs, it's just in the context of whether that is part of the Mavs' FO plans.  They've made no secret of coveting a true defensive big, like Gobert, but they really don't haven't had a lot of assets to make that happen.  Adding a 20-10 guy to a trade package should increase their odds of pulling off a trade for someone that they've been targeting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:02 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So, for those thinking Wood is a possible trade positive in a future trade, let me just push back a little bit. I’m not positive that will be the case. I think this is his last “stop” as a “valuable” piece. I think this could be a situation where he would have to make the allstar team to really regain any kind of value. I mean, there might be a chance that is in him, he is close with the box numbers. I think anything short of being an allstar, teams would look at all his previous stops and figure he just found home in Dallas, but there’s no guarantee my town will be home for him too.

Being young to this point has worked in his favor. Going forward I don’t think a team looking for that final piece to go with their young core is gonna think Wood is that final piece. He doesn’t fully fit their timeline anymore and he has already proven he is not that type of leader. He’s no longer young enough to start a rebuild around. He might only be useful to a vet team that won’t want to shed assets to get him and/or the assets aren’t really all that great. The good news about that is, the bar set to beat in an outgoing trade is not high at all. 

I just think anyone thinking that in a Beal trade, Wood finally puts us in the conversation is gonna be in for a rude awakening.

I actually would have very little interest in having Beal on this team. Don't think he pairs particularly well next to Luka. If we got a caliber of player back like a Jerami Grant if we decided to trade him, that would be fine.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:51 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I do think the "best case scenario" ends with Wood as an All Star.....but I would be SHOCKED at that outcome, utterly SHOCKED. I think it has maybe a 1% chance of happening.
I think there is room for more than that. His offense, I don’t think, needs a very big push and we all know offense has heavier weighting. I think if we had a top of the league record by time for coaches vote, whoever is playing better between Wood and Brunson is close to a lock (especially after making the WCF). Might take an extra year of consistency for that though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply

I agree, but if he is a 17/9 guy with decent defense and shooting ~38%+ from 3 that would be All Star level, even if he doesn’t get selected to an All Star team.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Really? 

What are you seeing that I'm not? I don't think it's likely, but I'd put it higher than 1%.

I see All Star selections as hugely reputation based is part of the reason I see it as so unlikely for CW as I think he would have to have more than one All Star worthy campaign to actually make one. I also think JB's usage and numbers are going to go up after the new contract. So I see JB's presence as working against the numbers of CW. I also just don't see the Mavs leaning on CW enough to get him the numbers he would need.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:58 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think if we had a top of the league record by time for coaches vote, whoever is playing better between Wood and Brunson is close to a lock (especially after making the WCF). Might take an extra year of consistency for that though.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't use "close to a lock" here, but I think this is a great point regarding how these things happen, and for more than just the All Star voting. I think the season the Mavs just had put some of these guys (and the team, overall) into the minds of fans, voters, coaches, whatever. The perception of the Mavs is drastically better than it was a year ago. 

I think DFS will get some DPOY votes, Dinwiddie will get some 6MOY votes, Luka will get more MVP votes, Kidd will get some COTY votes, etc.
  • ItsGoTime, Smitty
Like Reply

If Gobert is traded to an Eastern club then there would be a "slot" open. And if the Mavs record is better next year then we would deserve 2 All-Stars
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 09:01 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I see All Star selections as hugely reputation based is part of the reason I see it as so unlikely for CW as I think he would have to have more than one All Star worthy campaign to actually make one. I also think JB's usage and numbers are going to go up after the new contract. So I see JB's presence as working against the numbers of CW. I also just don't see the Mavs leaning on CW enough to get him the numbers he would need.

I agree with the multiple season thing - I didn't mean to suggest it was a make or break for next season. 

I can kind of see Brunson working against him, I suppose. That's a decent point, only...what if Brunson ALSO has chemistry with Wood? 

I'm just saying this is a pick and roll team, with TWO great pick and roll guards. Brunson isn't super great at creating for the screener, so far, but that could change. As long as Wood comes in understanding what will make him successful here (unlike Porzingis) I think he has a chance to be dominate on the offensive end.
  • ItsGoTime, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:47 AM)Smitty Wrote: All good here, I didn't mean it aggressively. I was just shocked that people were already discussing trading him. I didn't go back and read other posts about it.
I don’t want to get into another debate about all this yet again, but if you didn’t go back and read the other comments to which I was replying (I didn’t quote any specific ones because there were more than 1). I started out saying “To those” talking about it. To me, that means I am replying to people that have already brought it up, which means there is at least a little bit of interest for some in talking about it.

When you come in and say, hey guys, stop talking about what I don’t want to talk about and more about what I do want to talk about and add a “sheesh” to it. At the very least is that not rude? This is why I said in the last dispute that I match aggression. That way, if you want to take it further, it’s not on me as to who is escalating.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 09:11 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t want to get into another debate about all this yet again, but if you didn’t go back and read the other comments to which I was replying (I didn’t quote any specific ones because there were more than 1). I started out saying “To those” talking about it. To me, that means I am replying to people that have already brought it up, which means there is at least a little bit of interest for some in talking about it.

When you come in and say, hey guys, stop talking about what I don’t want to talk about and more about what I do want to talk about and add a “sheesh” to it. At the very least is that not rude? This is why I said in the last dispute that I match aggression. That way, if you want to take it further, it’s not on me as to who is escalating.

It's not that serious. Apologies. Go Mavs!
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:56 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I actually would have very little interest in having Beal on this team. Don't think he pairs particularly well next to Luka. If we got a caliber of player back like a Jerami Grant if we decided to trade him, that would be fine.
I’m with you on that thought. I think a young Jrue Holiday is the prototype we need in that spot.

(06-17-2022, 09:14 AM)Smitty Wrote: It's not that serious. Apologies. Go Mavs!
Sorry, old wounds heal slow.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 09:07 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm just saying this is a pick and roll team, with TWO great pick and roll guards. Brunson isn't super great at creating for the screener, so far, but that could change. As long as Wood comes in understanding what will make him successful here (unlike Porzingis) I think he has a chance to be dominate on the offensive end.

Oh, I see the chances of CW putting up "All Star worthy numbers" as something like 20-40%. I just think there is a huge gap between him putting up great numbers and making the cut for the All Star team (that is my "1%").
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Not an evil robot, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 09:02 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't use "close to a lock" here, but I think this is a great point regarding how these things happen, and for more than just the All Star voting. I think the season the Mavs just had put some of these guys (and the team, overall) into the minds of fans, voters, coaches, whatever. The perception of the Mavs is drastically better than it was a year ago. 

I think DFS will get some DPOY votes, Dinwiddie will get some 6MOY votes, Luka will get more MVP votes, Kidd will get some COTY votes, etc.
Ya, I backed off of the “close to lock” saying might need that extra year of consistency. Overall, I’m fully with this post!

(06-17-2022, 09:01 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I see All Star selections as hugely reputation based is part of the reason I see it as so unlikely for CW as I think he would have to have more than one All Star worthy campaign to actually make one. I also think JB's usage and numbers are going to go up after the new contract. So I see JB's presence as working against the numbers of CW. I also just don't see the Mavs leaning on CW enough to get him the numbers he would need.
Very legit reasoning!
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 07:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: All of this is based on this past year in HOU, being on a team NOT trying to win. Teams that aren't trying to win do NOT give full effort on D. Evaluating his D based on this past season is not accurate at all to his capabilities. Sure, he may have developed really lazy habits this past season, but Wood IS a capable defender when focused and locked in. Let's hope the new situation gets that out of him. His impact was elite (over +10.0) in his last contract year.

Agree. Dinwidde was a terrible defender and locker room cancer as well. At least according to Wizards fans. Turned out that he was just in a completly dysfunctional environment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://www.basketballinsiders.com/histo...number-26/

history of 26th picks 

Unless its an amazing pick like Bane or Jokic mavs win hands down.
Like Reply