Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(02-06-2023, 03:04 PM)omahen Wrote: Just Crowder Smile

Yep. 

I'm still predicting either Crowder or Love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 01:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: So no discussion here of the radio report that the Mavs have a deal in principle with the Raps to be announced tomorrow involving Tim and Wood going for Siakam? I would assume that 27 and Green would be included. I'm 99% sure it's BS, but damn, fill out the roster with buy-outs and plan the parade if it did happen.

??? What? Where did that come from? Doubt that's a real story, but if so then that's a freaking squad.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
John Hollinger on Twitter: ""dude, what do you think we've been trying to do for the last eight months?"" / Twitter
[-] The following 5 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, Jmaciscool, MFFL
Like Reply
I haven't seen this discussed yet but I don't think the Kyrie deal is complete; and with the amount of salary moving around and each team's desire to do more, both teams are likely on the phone. I wouldn't be surprised for this deal to expand into a larger multi-team trade. DFS in already on record saying he isn't sure he's going to Brooklyn.

I'll also point out, most everyone expected the Mavs to do a deal but few thought SD or DFS, much less a 29 pick would be in it. Whatever Dallas had in mind to do with THJ, Wood, Bullock et al is still certainly in play.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • KillerLeft, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 02:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But, I would've like that without Irving, too, so I'll be really upset if he ends up actually being available and we're confronted by the idea that Dallas valued Irving more than him.

I mean Kyrie was had for 1 FRP. We live in an age where Rudy Gobert went for 5 FRP. Siakam is most likely available for 3+ FRP. Anyway we slice it, there is no way the Mavs could've danced that tango. 

And Kyrie the player is better than Siakam the player. Even at this age. Hard not to blame them if we're seeing it from that POV.

Again, I'm in lockstep here with you on Kyrie. I felt like we were the two most vocal opponents of the deal. I still think it's ridiculous we made the move, but I don't think it was ever a realistic possibility we could've gotten Siakam even if we had DFS+SD+2029 FRP. 

Now, if this looney fantasy TDL continues where the Mavs traded for Kyrie AND find a way to swing for Siakam, I am on board with this team being final favorites.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:12 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I haven't seen this discussed yet but I don't think the Kyrie deal is complete; and with the amount of salary moving around and each team's desire to do more, both teams are likely on the phone. I wouldn't be surprised for this deal to expand into a larger multi-team trade. DFS in already on record saying he isn't sure he's going to Brooklyn.

I'll also point out, most everyone expected the Mavs to do a deal but few thought SD or DFS, much less a 29 pick would be in it. Whatever Dallas had in mind to do with THJ, Wood, Bullock et al is still certainly in play.

I have missed all of this. Where has DFS said he isn't sure he's going to Brooklyn? 

If it's expanded then stuff definitely starts to get percolating. I know BRK wants Siakam, but if the Mavs can make out with OG with BRK providing the majority of draft compensation (given that they're getting Siakam), then this team all of a sudden looks like a mighty force.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 01:58 PM)Smitty Wrote: This makes a lot of sense for the Nets. Smart decisions being made over there...

They got rid of their migraine. So yeah, they're ready to roll.
Like Reply
Lets keep Wood...unless we get a clear upgrade moving forward.

Lets see how Luka, Kyrie, Wood fit.   Can you get enough defense on the floor with them or will it not work?   You have Green, Bullock & hopefully Maxi to do the dirty work.    Powell can play backup 5 minutes.   

That lineup feels two good defenders/veterans short.  Hardaway is the one who sticks out.    If he cannot be moved, maybe he gets put in a 8th man role??

A 6 of Luka, Kyrie, Wood, Green, Maxi and Bullock would be interesting switching out at the end of games.  Is there anything to build there if you could upgrade one or two of those spots this summer?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I have missed all of this. Where has DFS said he isn't sure he's going to Brooklyn? 

Ok I have found the source, 
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0S9vRGZ...7kRSxFegzg&t=748&context=spotify%3Acollection%3Apodcasts%3Aepisodes&nd=1
Windhorst says at 12:30: 

Quote:This trade did not go through yet: I don’t know when they’ve got a trade call set, but one of the reasons why you’d delay putting the trade through would be to expand the trade to reroute players. This happens regularly in the modern NBA.

I know that Kyrie is ready to get on the first flight to Salt Lake — where I think the next Mavericks game is on Wednesday — but I’m not even sure the trade is going to be done by Wednesday.

Now this is interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I have missed all of this. Where has DFS said he isn't sure he's going to Brooklyn? 

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1622661265532362761?s=20&t=RoBsGkw1BJvqdlgMjnJDdA
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:25 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Lets keep Wood...unless we get a clear upgrade moving forward.

Lets see how Luka, Kyrie, Wood fit.   Can you get enough defense on the floor with them or will it not work?   You have Green, Bullock & hopefully Maxi to do the dirty work.    Powell can play backup 5 minutes.   

That lineup feels two good defenders/veterans short.  Hardaway is the one who sticks out.    If he cannot be moved, maybe he gets put in a 8th man role??

A 6 of Luka, Kyrie, Wood, Green, Maxi and Bullock would be interesting switching out at the end of games.  Is there anything to build there if you could upgrade one or two of those spots this summer?

Wood and Luka do a lot of the defending as well. Wood protects the paint, Luka's on ball defense is awesome at times, and his ability to get hands on the ball and steal is terrific. If we score efficiently, it puts a lot pressure on opponents to score every time, and this is where big mistakes are made. The key is to put players in the lineup that enable the offense to flow well, and putting players that also can contribute defensively, this can be in multitude of different ways.

I think that Bertans, THJ, Bullock are likely all available for trades. Or at least they should be. This is our trade package to get that 4th championship level starter.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:28 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1622661265532362761?s=20&t=RoBsGkw1BJvqdlgMjnJDdA

Irving has proven that all he cares about is his money. He wants to get paid the maximum amount of money for the least amount of work. Many that don´t like their job, probably take that approach. Your job as an employer to figure that out.

He didn´t want to accept the Nets three year extension to play with Durant (allegedly). He didn´t want to accept the Lakers two year extension to play with LeBron (allegedly). He clearly wants to play out his current contract to sign a fully guaranteed 200/4 max contract AND he gets a $5.4M TRADE BONUS now.

I could have made that deal with Irving with the relationship I have with him, based on simply promising him the 200M (+ TRADE BONUS) that nobody else would.

There is nothing to suggest that after all the BS from flat earth to anti-vaxx to anti-semitism that it even entered the mind of Irving that he should give something back for the way he behaved. No it´s all about him.

Hey I don´t blame Irving for this. Just don´t try to give the MBT credit for getting in bed with a prostitute by offering her the most money. She didn´t do it, because you have such a great relationship. It was the money.
Like Reply
If they are still waiting to see if they can add anything before the trade is official, it's going to take the entire week up to the deadline. Kyrie probably won't debut until at Sacramento, at the earliest. No point in having Luka return with just a skeleton crew vs. the Clippers either. I wouldn't let him play until the deadline is over. Maybe just roll with the G-League Mavs for this entire road trip and go 0-5. Prepare for whatever final roster vs. Minnesota next Monday.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:43 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: If they are still waiting to see if they can add anything before the trade is official, it's going to take the entire week up to the deadline. Kyrie probably won't debut until at Sacramento, at the earliest. No point in having Luka return with just a skeleton crew vs. the Clippers either. I wouldn't let him play until the deadline is over. Maybe just roll with the G-League Mavs for this entire road trip and go 0-5. Prepare for whatever final roster vs. Minnesota next Monday.

Risky to go 0-5 against direct competition. That likely puts you anywhere between 9th and 12th. You are digging out of a big hole to avoid the play-in. I think Luka plays as soon as Kyrie plays.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • burekemde, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 02:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Bullock has some value as a shooter, sure. The board's opinion of THJ changes weekly, but I bet his value around the league does not. He's probably the team's best tradable asset right now, outside of Green. I don't think he's a negative asset at all, and I think his contract is actually a positive for some teams. Powell for sure has value, especially since he's expiring. Kleber (if you were allowed to trade him) is probably worth a 1st.

Man I just don’t see what you see in THJ. He’s a shooter that shot 33.6% from three Las t year and is at 34.9% this year.  I don’t think anyone wants to take on that contract for “free.” We’ve been shopping him publicly for weeks.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:28 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1622661265532362761?s=20&t=RoBsGkw1BJvqdlgMjnJDdA

Could you imagine how pissed Luka would be if he thought he was getting Kyrie and ends up with Westbrook?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dirknows's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 04:11 PM)Dirknows Wrote: Could you imagine how pissed Luka would be if he thought he was getting Kyrie and ends up with Westbrook?

Ha.   You know if Kyrie and Wood leave, Mavs will have a lot of cap room.   There is a chance a Unicorn could hit the market if he opted out who could be our batman!!!
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 03:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Ok I have found the source, 
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0S9vRGZ...7kRSxFegzg&t=748&context=spotify%3Acollection%3Apodcasts%3Aepisodes&nd=1
Windhorst says at 12:30: 

Now this is interesting.

I thought Lowe made a good point.  He wasn't saying Irving isn't a winning player, but he is not star level player that his stats make him appear to be.  I think that is perfectly fair.   Even when we have played him, he has gotten stats but just not at level.  There are only 15-20 of these types of players in the league.

What this tells me for this to work, we really need the players who just know how to play, not make mistakes, and can fit in to surround Luka and Kyrie and maybe Wood.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
Marc Stein on Twitter: "Among the possibilities for expanding the Kyrie Irving-to-Dallas trade before this evening's scheduled trade call: League sources say that Brooklyn has explored the feasibility of packaging Spencer Dinwiddie and draft capital to Toronto in an attempt to acquire Fred VanVleet." / Twitter
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 04:36 PM)omahen Wrote: Marc Stein on Twitter: "Among the possibilities for expanding the Kyrie Irving-to-Dallas trade before this evening's scheduled trade call: League sources say that Brooklyn has explored the feasibility of packaging Spencer Dinwiddie and draft capital to Toronto in an attempt to acquire Fred VanVleet." / Twitter

Bruh WTF.

FVV over Dinwiddie? Really?
Like Reply