Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(02-05-2023, 05:57 PM)cow Wrote: Kyrie is pretty talented (or lucky) at finding himself on different teams with generational talents and then asking out of the situation.  Maybe you give him a pass but the KD pairing was by his own design.

I'm not giving him a pass. He's his own worst enemy I don't care how talented he is.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:59 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I'm not giving him a pass. He's his own worst enemy I don't care how talented he is.

I'm sure this bothers him, lol.
Like Reply
Would have been great if the Mavs gave up Dinwiddie and either of Bertans or THJ and a first even if he walks.
But DFS and a first is too much for a rental.
I'm saying it as though he is a rental because I am against a 4 year extension.

This is Kyrie.
It's just a matter of WHEN does he start acting up.

BUT, at this point, the Mavs need to do an extension. No other way to go.

Kidd's going to be happy he's not going to coach again, specially on game ending plays.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:59 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I'm not giving him a pass. He's his own worst enemy I don't care how talented he is.

I'm not saying you are giving him a pass. I'm saying you could give him a pass for previous situations but not the Nets as that was by his design.  We share the exact same sentiment.  

I liked the idea of taking a flier on Kyrie, but not at the cost we paid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:01 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I'm sure this bothers him, lol.

Nothing bothers him, that's the point.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Nothing bothers him, that's the point.

He's not worth your time.
Like Reply
On the bright side -- Mavs have someone who can hit free throws.
And would be able to make a shot other than step back 3s in the dying seconds of a game.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, loki
Like Reply
Chances of the super-skilled Kyrie Irving developing happiness as a Mavs player, are infinitely higher than the happy and one-dimensional DFS suddenly developing multiple novel basketball skills. This reasoning alone makes this move worth it. It is of key importance for long term Mavs franchise to contend - right now. We dont want to end in situation of losing a generational talent that has it to win many titles. Kyrie is a basketball fit and makes us contend - right now - SD and DFS simply do not. Picks we dont need as we need and want to give the minutes to Green and Hardy. The move IMO will be regarded as brilliant. It is easy to immediately spot this trade a huge mistake by Mavs given the lack of happiness of Irving on the other teams, but he still produced quality basketball.
[-] The following 2 users Like burekemde's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, loki
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Nothing bothers him, that's the point.

If he was perfect, he wouldn't be available.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:15 PM)Tyler Wrote: I love you guys, but the severe negativity on what should be a really exciting day of new possibilities is kinda wild. 

Dallas now has inarguably the best backcourt in the league, and there's a very good chance they're not done dealing. Enjoy the moment!

Best players ever to play for this team. (1) Luka, (2) Dirk, (3) Kyrie. Unless you count post-prime Kidd, this is inarguably true. 

Will it work? That’s still a good question. But man oh man is that a duo.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:50 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I have a question: Is Bron´s contract for next year guaranteed? Cause it better be.

He gave up money to contend for titles in Miami. What´s stopping him from doing the same in the summer? He´s a 39 year old billionaire. What does he care about another $40M. Just opt out, sign a minimum deal and Kyrie can get the money from the franchise he wanted to play for all along.

We need to trade the rest of our assets for Lebron.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:07 PM)burekemde Wrote: Picks we dont need as we need and want to give the minutes to Green and Hardy.

The "pick" was UNPROTECTED AND FOR 2029. Josh Green will be 28 by then, probably not on this team anymore. Irving will DEFINITELY not be on this team by then. Luka probably won't, either. 

Do you just not get it? There will be no other picks to use to climb out of this mess. This was their last shot. They're about to trade something (probably hardy) with the '27 pick for something else that won't matter like Bogdanovich, and then they will be utterly and completely stuck for like a DECADE. 

You think Luka's gonna stick around for that? Would YOU?

It's like they're running the Dan Gilbert playbook, page by page. Only when Luka leaves and the bottom drops out, BROOKLYN is going to get to make the lottery pick meant for the Mavs to start over!
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The "pick" was UNPROTECTED AND FOR 2029. Josh Green will be 28 by then, probably not on this team anymore. Irving will DEFINITELY not be on this team by then. Luka probably won't, either. 

Do you just not get it? There will be no other picks to use to climb out of this mess. This was their last shot. They're about to trade something (probably hardy) with the '27 pick for something else that won't matter like Bogdanovich, and then they will be utterly and completely stuck for like a DECADE. 

It's like they're running the Dan Gilbert playbook, page by page. Only when Luka leaves and the bottom drops out, BROOKLYN is going to get to make the lottery pick meant for the Mavs to start over!

Counterpoint:  You'll get picks back when you trade Luka.  Less favorable picks certainly, but picks nonetheless.
Like Reply
If Luka left (which he won't) wouldn't he bring plenty of picks?  If Kyrie leaves, we have a max slot and the potential to sign and trade him for assets (picks).  Mavs will be fine imo.  I hope Kyrie has a nice 4 years here with Luka.
[-] The following 5 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • MFFL, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, Smitty, The Jom, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The "pick" was UNPROTECTED AND FOR 2029. Josh Green will be 28 by then, probably not on this team anymore. Irving will DEFINITELY not be on this team by then. Luka probably won't, either. 

Do they not have picks in every other year?  If it fails, and Luka demands a trade in 3 or 4 seasons, do you not think they'll get a king's ransom in draft capital for him?  I get your dissatisfaction with Kyrie, but that is 6-years out and there are so many variables that will play out between now and then I don't see the sense in stressing out over a draft pick that may or may not matter. 

If it works though...
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:14 PM)The Jom Wrote: Best players ever to play for this team. (1) Luka, (2) Dirk, (3) Kyrie. Unless you count post-prime Kidd, this is inarguably true. 

Will it work? That’s still a good question. But man oh man is that a duo.

Luka ahead of Dirk?

[Image: idris-elba-leave.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:19 PM)cow Wrote: Luka ahead of Dirk?

[Image: idris-elba-leave.gif]

Really?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply

I understand the line of thinking. The other way to think about this, is making the best team right now, with the best fit around Luka. Something unexpected and great could come out of that, that is not so easy to foresee. When players are surrounded by teammates that fit their style of play, and understand their game, the sum is greater than their parts. Or think of it in the other direction - how can it make sense to assemble the team with less fit but with most future picks? We are better team now than yesterday. If we win the title with this team, it is changing ALL other parameters and arguments. It would be the reason Luka will stay and not leave, ever. A championship changes things and decisions. If we are going to place players around Luka that do not understand his game, could we lose him? And yes, Mavs future depends pretty much on Luka. Near and long term. When Luka got here the team was a bottom team not close to playoffs, he transformed this team - instantly - into a contending and playoff team. Look at the statistics for this team with/without Luka. The talent level of the team clearly doesnt match Lukas talent level. He should be surrounded by the Irvings and the Woods that can grasp Lukas game and brilliance and take it to another level, and not the stationary DFS that is just standing in the corner unable to do anything with the ball and the space provided other than shooting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:18 PM)Kidnova Wrote: Do they not have picks in every other year?  If it fails, and Luka demands a trade in 3 or 4 seasons, do you not think they'll get a king's ransom in draft capital for him?  I get your dissatisfaction with Kyrie, but that is 6-years out and there are so many variables that will play out between now and then I don't see the sense in stressing out over a draft pick that may or may not matter. 

If it works though...

You'd hopefully get a young up-and-comer like SGA and then picks/swaps which will most likely be less favorable if they are only coming from the team you are trading to.

I don't mind spending assets, but you have to do it smartly.  As the MBT are want to do, I don't think they read the room correctly and overpaid on this trade.  Given Kyrie's history, the contract he'll want and his recent trade demands, you have to take your hat off to the Nets for the haul they landed.  Unfortunately it came at our expense.  

No one is questioning Kyrie the basketball player.  I think everyone hopes this works out.  It's fair to be happy with the trade.  It's also fair to question the value.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply

You're professing the worst case scenario as being the most plausible scenario.  It's not.

I wasn't for Kyrie, as I described in this very thread.  To get Kyrie without giving up Wood, Green, or Hardy is a coup, tho.  IMO, this puts more pressure to extend Wood.

Now, take a breath and look at the possibilities with our trio: Luka, Kyrie, Wood.  Who in the NBA has a better trio?
Like Reply