Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
So. We removed non-championship caliber players/pieces, and added one definite championship player, that is clearly better than SD. I think that's a great deal. We are in win now mode. It makes sense. A bit worry is Kyries off court personality, but I hope Luka has a good effect on him. This is where the risk is. Talent and scheme wise, its a good deal.

Luka, Kyrie, Wood. All three unplayable one-on-one. I think we see reduced doubling of Luka going forward. I think the team wants to grow on this core and the young players, Green and Hardy. Maxi, Powell as the glue guys.

The key to multiple championships rests on the shoulders of Hardy and Green. We know who we have in Powell and Maxi. Its the development of Green and Hardy that is the key.

We may have chance to win it all this season. Its going to be fun, really really fun!
[-] The following 5 users Like burekemde's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Ghost of Podkolzin, MFFL, rocky164, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:30 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: What does it matter?  Did you read?  The question was whether this would hurt or help Luka stay.  How does doing what Luka wants not help?

If Irving and Wood walk in three months, I can tell you what Luka wants next. You also going to support that?
Like Reply
I am happy with the trade.  Sold DFS high.  Will miss him but if Luka is okay with it, so am I.  Not crazy about Morris twin...

Next move please.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:34 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If Irving and Wood walk in three months, I can tell you what Luka wants next. You also going to support that?

For sure. And tbh, it might be even worse if they stay.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:34 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I am happy with the trade.  Sold DFS high.  Will miss him but if Luka is okay with it, so am I.  Not crazy about Morris twin...

Next move please.

Yeah, in my opinion this board has always vastly overrated DFS, but he's one of our few home-grown so I get it.  Hopefully there is another move in the making to bring in some defense.  They're swinging for the fences here and it may blow up in their face, but I understand why they did it.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:34 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If Irving and Wood walk in three months, I can tell you what Luka wants next. You also going to support that?

You just created a hypothetical to back your opinion on an actual happening.

I can do it too....
If Luka has a career ending injury, won't we regret extending him?

You make decisions based upon what you KNOW at the time in which you know it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Beasley and Vanderbilt for Hardaway and unprotected 1st
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • omahen, rocky164, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:41 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Beasley and Vanderbilt for Hardaway and unprotected 1st

I think Vando would fit really well. 3 skilled offensive players in Luka, Irving and Wood with 2 hard workers in Vando and Green. Beasley, Bullock, Maxi and Powell would be a decent bench. Another ballhandler would be nice to have

I would also do THT and Vando for Bertans and pick
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
Just talking about basketball (while hard), Irving is not good enough to be a #1 on a championship team despite being an elite scorer.  So, just like in Brooklyn he is in the right pecking order.   Now, can we change our offense of Luka ball all the time?  We will need to.  Hopefully not your turn, my turn type of offense.

Surrounding Luka and Irving, you need big wings, good shooters, good defenders and toughness.  YOu also need a real good guy who can protect the rim. Dallas is really short on this.  The subtraction of DFS certainly doesn't help.   What do they do to either fill in the gap of a bigger wing who can defend and hit open shots and a guy who can protect the rim?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • AgGiE1991
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:45 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: What do they do to either fill in the gap of a bigger wing who can defend and hit open shots and a guy who can protect the rim?

I hear the Raptors are sellers and have some guys who fit that description.
Like Reply
You know who is really excited right about now?

Markieff Morris.

If recent history tells us anything Irving is gone in three months and Morris gets a 40/4 extension. Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:48 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You know who is really excited right about now?

Markieff Morris.

If recent history tells us anything Irving is gone in three months and Morris gets a 40/4 extension. Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DrMav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Within the next 24 hours - THJ and 27 unprotected for Caris Lavert.

You know it's coming. Embrace the darkness.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Within the next 24 hours - THJ and 27 unprotected for Caris Lavert.

I was thinking Wood and '27 for something.  I don't think you can invest in the instability of Wood/Kyrie.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Within the next 24 hours - THJ and 27 unprotected for Caris Lavert.

Luka enjoys playing with Wood. This is as clear as anything. If the team cant see this, we are in major problems. Wood is most likely kept and extended. He and Kyrie are clear fits along Luka.

THJ is playing outside of the boundaries of team basketball. Zero chances he stays IMO. Needs to leave this team. It would be great to get another shooter, but one with more bbIQ and decision making and less selfish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply

Had to be the bearer of bad news, but I think Johs Green would fit really nice with the Cavs backcourt. Garland/Mitchell for the offense, Rubio/Green for defense. He might even start at SF and get wide open threes all day as the 5th best starter.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:53 PM)cow Wrote: I don't think you can invest in the instability of Wood/Kyrie.

On the other hand, going from the NBA's best culture, complete with "immaculate vibes" to the very, very worst culture in just shy of a calendar year is an interesting phenomenon. Seeing how that plays out might have interesting benefits when it comes to collating scientific data for posterity. Might as well get weird with it at this point.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
For better or worse, I think it is safe to say Nico and Kidd are here until Luka leaves or extends.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:57 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: For better or worse, I think it is safe to say Nico and Kidd are here until Luka leaves or extends.

Yeah, for sure, which is why some of us were disappointed in the hires to begin with. You don't give unproven hands the keys to a franchise that's being built around a talent like Luka and hope they rise to the occasion, no matter how "cool" they are.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:45 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Just talking about basketball (while hard), Irving is not good enough to be a #1 on a championship team despite being an elite scorer.  So, just like in Brooklyn he is in the right pecking order.   Now, can we change our offense of Luka ball all the time?  We will need to.  Hopefully not your turn, my turn type of offense.

Surrounding Luka and Irving, you need big wings, good shooters, good defenders and toughness.  YOu also need a real good guy who can protect the rim. Dallas is really short on this.  The subtraction of DFS certainly doesn't help.   What do they do to either fill in the gap of a bigger wing who can defend and hit open shots and a guy who can protect the rim?

I think we see Irving as that Luka outlet in case of doubles. Wood and Irving on each side. Pick your poison. If any of the two are left with space, its game over at the rim. Luka will start/initiate every single play. Irving and Wood will ensure that second defender stays.
Like Reply