Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(01-31-2023, 10:27 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Unlike most of you I don't think Bullock is worth a first. Two seconds maybe, but not a first.

The Kings though could cut the price of Holmes to half with McGee.
Sure McGee would be a negative for them, but they would be paying less with McGee.
Kings can take away one SRP from the trade though if McGee is included.

Holmes+Davis+SRP for Bullock+McGee

I would guess that if you did a poll of this board, few folks would think Bullock would be worth a first.  

As Omahen said above, at least some of that first is to offset the Holmes contract.

If there is any chance Holmes can pull out of his funk, I would be interested in that kind of move, but I don't see Cuban doing it.  That contract goes too long with the player option.  Also has 15% trade kicker (although I'm guessing Holmes would be happy to waive that).
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 10:47 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Cato, if you're listening, the condescending tone makes reading you often unbearable. 

The lede for the article is "Identifying the biggest need for all 30 teams," and 29 other reporters followed the script. 

You give us the same tired narrative: the Mavs supporting cast stinks and Dallas won't win a championship this year. Way to go out on a limb. 

No, their Fate is sealed. You bury them in January while making sure to drive a nail in the coffin, noting there is nothing the front office can or will do to change this teams' fortune. 

What's more, you suggest the team should take a step back. Throw in the towel. Give up. Quit. 

You may be smart, and a halfway decent writer, but I don't think you have the first clue about what it takes to build a champion, and you clearly have no idea what the Mavs should do at the trade deadline.

Cato is a horrible writer and the main reason I quit paying for the Athletic
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 10:47 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Cato, if you're listening, the condescending tone makes reading you often unbearable. 

The lede for the article is "Identifying the biggest need for all 30 teams," and 29 other reporters followed the script. 

You give us the same tired narrative: the Mavs supporting cast stinks and Dallas won't win a championship this year. Way to go out on a limb. 

No, their Fate is sealed. You bury them in January while making sure to drive a nail in the coffin, noting there is nothing the front office can or will do to change this teams' fortune. 

What's more, you suggest the team should take a step back. Throw in the towel. Give up. Quit. 

You may be smart, and a halfway decent writer, but I don't think you have the first clue about what it takes to build a champion, and you clearly have no idea what the Mavs should do at the trade deadline.

Below is Cato text and I agree with every word about it. If anything, Cato was always too positive about this team and its FO. Now he can't deny the obvious anymore. Mavs only strategy so far it seems it was to get a little better by making the moves around the edges spending some assets for it and then some more to clear their mistakes. 

Plan for the future: In Luka Dončić, Dallas has the hardest part of building a title contender: a top-five player who’s signed for several more seasons. But it’s become increasingly clear this season — not that it wasn’t before — that the team doesn’t have enough talent around him. The Mavericks won’t make a game-changing trade that vaults them into contention status this deadline, but they need to decide whether there are sideways moves that can prepare them for such deals in the future. Perhaps the Mavericks should even consider taking a calculated step back this season better prepare for a bigger swing in the future that can provide Dončić with the teammate(s) to allow the franchise to reach its highest aspirations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 09:16 AM)omahen Wrote: It might also tell us a bit about Woods future in Dallas

Agreed.  I can see versions of this that include him to Phoenix.  I can see versions that include Powell and I can see versions that include a third team’s big.  They have to do something in the middle if they send out Ayton.  I think the later part has more to do with Phoenix than Dallas.  Ownership is changing over and they have to figure out Crowder and Paul and what life looks like building around Booker.  A possible FVV deal is probably higher on their priority list than dealing with Ayton.

If you read Iztok’s piece, offensive rebounding a defense are his keys.  Ignore the current season and go back and look at Ayton’s ratings defensively the last few years.  The ‘second star’ here is going to have to contribute in other ways because there just aren’t going to be enough shots available to do it all on the offensive end.  Ayton fits the bill, but isn’t a complete embarrassment at the offensive end.  I wish he could impose his will more offensively (a tad soft at this point IMHO).  To me, that is the key to him staying on the floor in the playoffs.  If the other team can’t afford to take their big off the floor because your big is killing them, then they can’t go small against you.

Cost is a huge question mark.  It is one thing to say ‘I like Ayton here’.  It is another to figure out value given his high salary compared to most centers.  Luka/Green/DFS and Ayton (and presumably Maxi since he can’t be traded currently) would be a really nice core.  Is there a path to Ayton that gets him here without giving up any of those guys?
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 11:01 AM)mvossman Wrote: If there is any chance Holmes can pull out of his funk

I think Holmes would only make sense if you don't have Wood in your long term picture. The ultimate buy low. I don't think trading Wood would be best move, but perhaps he doesn't want to stay. So, get an asset to trade for Holmes and another by trading Wood. This way you get into a conversation for one top wing and perhaps another decent one. I think center is the least important position today - see GSW.
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 11:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Is there a path to Ayton that gets him here without giving up any of those guys?

Phoenix is only trading if it makes them better and perhaps cheaper - unclear what the new owner wants. Could they see Wood as a better option than Ayton? They for sure wouldn't have any interest in Bertans and likely also not THJ. 

I agree judging his value is tough. He seems overpaid. He is also a huge risk so I wouldn't give up any draft capital. Because if it doesn't work, it would be tough to recover. Wood and Dorian seems like a package that should satisfy Phoenix (if they like Wood as a starter). We could also throw in their old friend McGee Smile Mavs would still have the assets for the wing trade that would replace Dorian, likely in the summer.
Like Reply
NBACentral on Twitter: "The Toronto Raptors are now taking calls on OG Anunoby ???, per @ShamsCharania https://t.co/bkGC5pWwmX" / Twitter
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 11:21 AM)omahen Wrote: Cato was always too positive about this team and its FO

Cato?  I mean he's no Kirk Henderson but positive is not a word I would use to describe him.  He's good but he has picked up quite the condescending tone over the past year or two.  He's really big on letting his audience know how much he is not a fan of the team, just a reporter, which I get but it's also so weird that he constantly announces it on his podcast.  Something about him has really rubbed me the wrong way this season.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 12:03 PM)omahen Wrote: NBACentral on Twitter: "The Toronto Raptors are now taking calls on OG Anunoby ???, per @ShamsCharania https://t.co/bkGC5pWwmX" / Twitter

Utah: DFS

Mavs:  OG, whichever contract Utah wants us to eat between THT or Gay (I believe they both work but could be wrong)

Raps: Wood, Vanderbilt, Utah 2023 FRP, Dallas 2027 FRP

Still not sure about DFS' value though, Vanderbilt and a first feels lofty but the Jazz have picks to burn right now.
Like Reply
I am a bit surprised there are no Vucevic rumors. What is the Bulls plan with him? Resign him for a crazy number making him a negative asset for a team that doesn't seem to be good enough.

(01-31-2023, 12:09 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Utah: DFS

Mavs:  OG, whichever contract Utah wants us to eat between THT or Gay (I believe they both work but could be wrong)

Raps: Wood, Vanderbilt, Utah 2023 FRP, Dallas 2027 FRP

Still not sure about DFS' value though, Vanderbilt and a first feels lofty but the Jazz have picks to burn right now.

Not a fan. OG is better than DFS but not good enough of an upgrade to lift Mavs into contention. They would have even less assets for another move that would be needed. I would prefer to keep Vando, than the move is great.
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 12:04 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Cato?  I mean he's no Kirk Henderson but positive is not a word I would use to describe him.  He's good but he has picked up quite the condescending tone over the past year or two.  He's really big on letting his audience know how much he is not a fan of the team, just a reporter, which I get but it's also so weird that he constantly announces it on his podcast.  Something about him has really rubbed me the wrong way this season.

If I remember it correctly a few members of this board came up with the theory that he had close ties to Donnie or one of his guys.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006...-right-now
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/kevingraysports/stat...78113?s=46&t=EnZmDPxIlQ814PUgNOP4dA
Like Reply
I read something that jogged my memory.  On the recent ESPN game the announcers mentioned Kidd said something about Dinwiddie maybe coming off the bench.  They then said he may not have been serious or something like that.  Was this reported elsewhere of Kidd saying this?

Maybe, this was tied to a trade they are trying to make.   DFS & Hardaway for Conley & ?  

Not sure what the Jazz would want with Hardaway, but I wonder if that comment by Kidd was some internal discussions on deals they have been thinking about.
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 12:34 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: https://twitter.com/kevingraysports/stat...78113?s=46&t=EnZmDPxIlQ814PUgNOP4dA

I don't mind Beasley, but not for DFS. I was holding out a little bit of hope that this was about Sexton.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 10:27 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Unlike most of you I don't think Bullock is worth a first. Two seconds maybe, but not a first.

The Kings though could cut the price of Holmes to half with McGee.
Sure McGee would be a negative for them, but they would be paying less with McGee.
Kings can take away one SRP from the trade though if McGee is included.

Holmes+Davis+SRP for Bullock+McGee
we have all been burned by Bullock this year.  But the Bullock of last year and the playoffs would definitely be worth a protected first from a contender.   I prefer his run last year to Crowder's game.   Not sure if Crowder is going to get a first, but that is what the Suns are holding out for.
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 12:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't mind Beasley, but not for DFS. I was holding out a little bit of hope that this was about Sexton.

Beasley is basically a younger THJ. He has a team option next season giving Mavs a lot of flexibility. But I agree I would want more from Utah in that deal.
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 12:34 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: https://twitter.com/kevingraysports/stat...78113?s=46&t=EnZmDPxIlQ814PUgNOP4dA

DFS is the better player on the better contract.  This is a depressing report.
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 12:41 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: DFS is the better player on the better contract.  This is a depressing report.

If they made this deal it really is depressing about the reality of just how inept our front office is. The framework better at least be Beasley, Vanderbilt, Future 1st for DFS, Mcgee. That’s a conversation starter. Straight up for Beasley is incompetence.
[-] The following 2 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply

Interesting part from the report:

According to Tribune sources, Jarred Vanderbilt is among the Jazz’s most available players; the team wants to move on from starting him, and instead start rookie standout Walker Kessler.

If he is so available, than he should be in the deal for DFS. Assuming Mavs have any interest
Like Reply