Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(07-25-2022, 02:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I am out on a Conley trade.   I would be interested if he was eventually bought out though.   I just can't get excited about a 20 plus million a year guy off the bench for the next two years.  Especially considering Dallas was really hesitant given Jalen above 20 million.  Jalen is young and better than Conley now.

Conley is not getting bought out.  I get that he was terrible in that playoff series but he was very good during the regular season (arguably better than Brunson given that he is a better perimeter defender).  My guess is Ainge squeezes an asset out of somebody for that contract.

I don't really have any interest in any of the Utah players because I have no interest in dealing with Ainge.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/...9051183104
Like Reply
Quote:Since the end of summer league, the majority of consequential trade conversations around the NBA have come to a momentary lull, and team personnel aren't expecting any blockbuster trade any time soon. That will only change if and when a team makes a sudden full-force effort to acquire Durant or Utah Jazz All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Quote:Several opposing executives contacted by B/R have suggested the Nets' terms are so significant because Brooklyn has no intention to truly move Durant.

The Nets have sought at least one bona fide All-Star-caliber player, other contributing players and significant draft capital to consider any Durant package, sources said. Brooklyn also maintains a stance that Durant may ultimately survey the Nets' training camp roster and determine that playing in Barclays Center represents his best chance for a 2022-23 championship run.
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Quote:Gobert's trade value has provided Brooklyn with precedent to replenish its chest of draft capital—depleted during the James Harden blockbuster in January 2021—but the Nets have been described by league personnel as far more interested in a package that positions them for a title run.
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Quote:Playing it out, if Phoenix's now-not-happening offer of Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson and the richest possible number of draft picks likely wouldn't have been enough to satisfy Brooklyn, then Boston has a large gap between the Nets' towering price point and a package of Brown, Derrick White and a first-rounder. Ayton can no longer be traded until Jan. 15 after the Suns matched his offer sheet from Indiana.
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...9587526661
Like Reply
IMO...

Longer term, the Gobert trade will be viewed as a criminal overpay, now that Luka has shown how to neutralize his contributions.

Shorter term, any GM looking to trade a starter is now looking for obscene returns, mostly beyond what most teams can/will pay without gutting their roster.

I feel like it's a bubble market, and that bubble could pop any time now. In the meantime, some team are mortgaging their improvement assets for the rest of the decade, and it's only 2022.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Quote:Since the end of summer league, the majority of consequential trade conversations around the NBA have come to a momentary lull, and team personnel aren't expecting any blockbuster trade any time soon. That will only change if and when a team makes a sudden full-force effort to acquire Durant or Utah Jazz All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell.

Wait you mean that big trade that Skin and others were so sure was coming isn't happening after all? Shocking really. Truth is we've been spinning our wheels since the Porzingis trade. It's the same every summer: we make some ok moves around the edges but nothing really franchise altering, and then in order to keep the fans interested, the Mavs PR team (Skin, et al) comes in and gases us up by proclaiming that the next big move is just over the horizon. We spend months discussing every move under the sun only for nothing to happen. Before you know it, the season is about to start. Rinse and repeat.

Unless someone comes along and wants to give us something for nothing, ie trade us a good player straight up for Powell or something, then this offseason is over. All those super fun, clever, and creative trades everyone comes up with on this board are pointless because they aren't happening. The Mavs don't do clever. They work around the margins and then hope our superstar bails us out yet again.
[-] The following 3 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • omahen, Paul Gasol, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(07-26-2022, 09:16 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Wait you mean that big trade that Skin and others were so sure was coming isn't happening after all? Shocking really. Truth is we've been spinning our wheels since the Porzingis trade. It's the same every summer: we make some ok moves around the edges but nothing really franchise altering, and then in order to keep the fans interested, the Mavs PR team (Skin, et al) comes in and gases us up by proclaiming that the next big move is just over the horizon. We spend months discussing every move under the sun only for nothing to happen. Before you know it, the season is about to start. Rinse and repeat.

Unless someone comes along and wants to give us something for nothing, ie trade us a good player straight up for Powell or something, then this offseason is over. All those super fun, clever, and creative trades everyone comes up with on this board are pointless because they aren't happening. The Mavs don't do clever. They work around the margins and then hope our superstar bails us out yet again.

I guess if one looks hard enough, they can find a reason to gripe in just about anything.  To me, his words couldn't be more qualified..."majority" of "consequential" talks have come to a "momentary lull" (not stop).  Executives "aren't expecting" any "blockbuster" trade "any time soon".  Then he goes on to explain a possible exception to counter all he just said.

Did he explain why Detroit is making Kevin Knox wait to sign his deal?  Or, why Harden has "agreed" to a number, but not signed it yet (you know, in case Philly isn't able to pull off the deal they are trying to make...then he could get more).  Could any of this have to do with the fact that half of the rosters of Utah and Detroit can't be aggregated right now?  Could any of this have to do with the fact that Utah and Brooklyn are playing chicken with teams looking at their star players who want out?  

No, it is all about Dallas and the incompetence of their front office.  It is the fault of a broadcaster who is part of a deep-state conspiracy to pump sunshine and get our hopes up (you know, the same broadcaster who acknowledged out loud his ties to the team and then went on to level some criticisms of the team anyway).  

With all this incompetence, we still managed to somehow go three rounds deep in the playoffs.  That's not nothing.  Personally, I like super fun, clever and creative.  Those are words with positive vibes, but I'm more of a Tigger than an Eeyore.  If the sky is always falling, why don't I get hit in the head with falling debris more often.
Like Reply
DS, as a point for future speculation, the fact that DET hasn't signed Knox has nothing to do with aggregation. They have NO aggregation restrictions on them right now. NONE. Every trade-eligible player they have can be aggregated with any of their others, if need be.

The Knox delay would be because they have unused cap room, and may want to use it first (probably in facilitating some trade or other) before signing Knox using their MLE. If they sign him now, it doesn't happen via the MLE, but instead takes away some of that available cap space.

The intriguing part to me is whether they are merely playing a what-if game, or whether they have already negotiated exactly how that cap space would be used, and just waiting until the time comes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(07-27-2022, 12:59 PM)F Gump Wrote: DS, as a point for future speculation, the fact that DET hasn't signed Knox has nothing to do with aggregation. They have NO aggregation restrictions on them right now. NONE. Every trade-eligible player they have can be aggregated with any of their others, if need be.

The Knox delay would be because they have unused cap room, and may want to use it first (probably in facilitating some trade or other) before signing Knox using their MLE. If they sign him now, it doesn't happen via the MLE, but instead takes away some of that available cap space.

The intriguing part to me is whether they are merely playing a what-if game, or whether they have already negotiated exactly how that cap space would be used, and just waiting until the time comes.

Yeah, you’ve pointed out the Detroit aggregation thing before (because cap space was used to facilitate the trade).  I tend to forget because the Fanspo trade machine website still has all the NY guys in Detroit as an aggregation issue if you try to trade them.

Yeah, the reason behind the Knox delay is a head scratcher.  I’m hoping there is a specific plan and it involves Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-26-2022, 07:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/...9051183104

Durant ... Celtics ... blah blah blah ...

[Image: Kevin-Durant-bullshit.jpg]
Like Reply
This whole "give me $200m, but don't make me play on these 27 teams in the NBA" thing really has to stop.
[-] The following 2 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Just read an article about Tor’s ask for OG. They want an “elite C” in exchange. Is it possible we just got close enough to that this summer? If Wood quickly moves into the starting lineup due to his dedication to defense, I could see him being a big part to a trade for OG. Of course, if Wood is that good, no one will want to trade him and instead will want to watch him walk in FA.
Like Reply
(07-28-2022, 11:49 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Just read an article about Tor’s ask for OG. They want an “elite C” in exchange.

We have arguably the best Canadian C that exists to offer Angel
[-] The following 2 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • IamDougieFresh, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-28-2022, 04:02 PM)Halfnir Wrote: We have arguably the best Canadian C that exists to offer Angel

I´d take Kelly Olynyk over Dwight. Also would play small ball with Brandon Clarke at center before I start Dwight. Powell gets the nod over the corpse of Tristan Thompson.
Like Reply
(07-28-2022, 09:33 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I´d take Kelly Olynyk over Dwight. Also would play small ball with Brandon Clarke at center before I start Dwight. Powell gets the nod over the corpse of Tristan Thompson.
Wait…does that mean we didn’t win the Rondo trade?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1...3550303232
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...0213474305
Like Reply