Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
Good match for Aaron and Aatlanta.
Like Reply
Malcom Brogdon is heading to Boston for basically a late FRP. I would love to see him in Mavs uniform.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 10:16 AM)jon.neal52 Wrote: Just read an article that says Sexton will most likely have to settle for a $10-$12 million contract and the Cavs need a backup big. I believe a SnT is being discussed involving Powell. Not the big swing I was hoping for but Sexton is intriguing. Would it kill the Dragic signing?

"I believe a SnT is being discussed involving Powell."

I think CLE likes Sexton at a low number, so this feels like how the Markanen situation played out. He supposedly wants to stay, just at a bigger number.

Sexton would probably be Base Year, complicating any trade. Then it takes a bigger offer. Then it has to be matched while overcoming Base Year. Also within and beforehand the Mavs would have to shed about $10-15M in payroll.

Very complicated, with many moving parts.
Like Reply
Nesmith shot 27% from 3PT last season.  

[Image: BaggyBlissfulBarbet-size_restricted.gif]
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:10 PM)cow Wrote: Nesmith shot 27% from 3PT last season.  

[Image: BaggyBlissfulBarbet-size_restricted.gif]

Yes, and his catch-and-shoot skills were the main selling point for him at draft time (I wanted him). Pretty disappointing.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:07 PM)F Gump Wrote: "I believe a SnT is being discussed involving Powell.

I think CLE likes Sexton at a low number, so this feels like how the Markanen situation played out.

Sexton would probably be Base Year, complicating any trade. 

That would be a lot more work for DAL than Sexton for Powell, because the Mavs would have to shed a big contract somewhere (to erase about $10-15M in payroll).

No idea why the Mavs would go after Sexton.  He is undersized, a terrible defender and not a particularly good distributor.  Any concern with fit applied to Brunson would be doubled with Sexton.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, omahen
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:07 PM)F Gump Wrote: Also within and beforehand the Mavs would have to shed about $10-15M in payroll.

I don't think Sexton would represent progress, so I hope there's nothing to see here. 

But if they are after him, I'd have to assume that either THJ or Dinwiddie would be on the move. For imagining purposes, is there a simple way to structure a deal involving them that would accomplish the payroll reduction above, or would it have to be some complicated, multi-team or multi-deal process?
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, and his catch-and-shoot skills were the main selling point for him at draft time (I wanted him). Pretty disappointing.

I did too.  I was thinking was a cheap Buddy replacement should Indy choose to trade him.  Then I looked up the stats.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:15 PM)mvossman Wrote: No idea why the Mavs would go after Sexton.  He is undersized, a terrible defender and not a particularly good distributor.  Any concern with fit applied to Brunson would be doubled with Sexton.

It might have to do with the price tag on him being what it is, plus his possible availability.  I would prefer to take a flyer on a defensive ace, but there are worse ways to replace JB than Sexton - especially at more than half the cost.  He is a solid 3pt shooter (better career than JB) and a gritty driver.  He has solid numbers without playing next to Luka.  I could see him getting that Dinwiddie bump here.  I agree that he is not ideal defensively.  

I see a LOT of Atlanta Jason Terry in him, although he has been asked to be more SG than PG in his career, so far.  If you're asking if I would part with Powell for him?  Yes.  Yes I would. Not a home run, but I would take a single, with the possibility of a stolen base.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:32 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: If you're asking if I would part with Powell for him?  Yes.  Yes I would. Not a home run, but I would take a single, with the possibility of a stolen base.

Powell for Sexton would be a standup triple, at the least, even if you don't love Sexton. He's an offensive creator and scorer, which is objectively more valuable than Powell, leaving fit completely out of it. 

I doubt that's what's on the table, if in fact anything is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:15 PM)mvossman Wrote: No idea why the Mavs would go after Sexton.  He is undersized, a terrible defender and not a particularly good distributor.  Any concern with fit applied to Brunson would be doubled with Sexton.

It would make more sense if Hardaway was gone perhaps in a different trade.

By himself in a trade for Powell it makes little sense for the current roster configuration. There would almost have to be other trades to make the roster workable since you still have Finney-Smith and Bullock with too many minutes.
Like Reply
I don't love THJ the player, but one thing everyone should consider before trades shipping him off is that he wants to be here.  See Jalen for the inverse of that mindset.
Like Reply
So far, Sam Amico at Hoopsworld has been the only source I've seen for the interest in Sexton. 

Any other sources out there claiming Mavs interest in Sexton?
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 02:22 PM)Winter Wrote: So far, Sam Amico at Hoopsworld has been the only source I've seen for the interest in Sexton. 

Any other sources out there claiming Mavs interest in Sexton?

Not that I've seen, and it's a decent point. Hopefully, it's just Cleveland trying to scare some other team into upping their offer.
Like Reply
Did we win free agency yet?
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 02:58 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Did we win free agency yet?

Of course. They are just about to shut the doors and turn off the lights on the whole league. It's over.
Like Reply
https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/utah...QMNdhZG9-8

Steal for Minnesota, but can Gobert and Townes play together?  Seems to be the opposite direction the NBA is heading.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 03:03 PM)nash_funk Wrote: Steal for Minnesota

5 (FIVE!!) unprotected (!!) 1st round picks.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 03:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: 5 (FIVE!!) unprotected (!!) 1st round picks.

? I think it is three unprotected, one lightly protected and one swap
Like Reply
That should take Minny out of the Goran Dragic Sweepstakes Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply