Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(07-13-2022, 03:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: When it comes to this BRK stuff, I think you guys are all falling for the public negotiations. Every single public statement, direct, leaked, whatever, that came after the news of the trade request, has been negotiation. Literally, all of them. 

Instead of what's being said, examine the actions.

The Nets ran this same play during the Harden situation recently. He got traded. There are other dots I could spend time here connecting, like the timing of the trade request, the fact that certain other teams' activity has been frozen since the request was made, etc, etc. 

The bottom line, I believe, is that any notion of Durant playing another year in BRK (particularly together), is probably foolish. At least one of them is getting traded, I think, and my bet is that both will move. It might take until August, maybe even after training camp.

1) I think a significant BRK shake-up is coming, if it wasn't then the rest of the NBA would have moved on (that is the most telling fact in all this).

2) But I am not 100% confident that includes KD being traded before the season. Harden had a TON of power because he had a PO coming up and could just walk. KD has no such power. 

3) I think BRK would prefer in a perfect world to be done with Kyrie (and Simmons) while KEEPING KD and proving to him they can build a contender around him.

4) I think you are absolutely right that much of the noise we are hearing is posturing and negotiating through the media.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...1402716162
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 3) I think BRK would prefer in a perfect world to be done with Kyrie (and Simmons) while KEEPING KD and proving to him they can build a contender around him.

I can definitely agree with this. 

AND, one of the pieces being accepted by many people that I have a feeling is patently false (at least for now - this stuff changes really fast with these fickle, entitled, multi-millionaires) is that KD and Kyrie are still wanting to play together, in theory. That's why I mentioned the timing of the trade request, and somewhere qualified my prediction with "at least one of them" will get moved.
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 02:55 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The FO IS Nico, I don’t understand this crusade. It’s pretty natural to think when there is a big change like the GM being replaced that anything that seems a bit contrary to what had been happening is the new guy putting his stamp on things while the status quo is at least as much about those who haven’t left as it is him, if not more. I myself lumped Finley and even Dirk as a consultant as part of keeping the status quo.

Not really a crusade.  I just think its interesting that when things go well its Nico, and when the shit hits the fan its Cuban (or a generic FO).  I also disagree that the FO is Nico.  It's the entire organization with Cuban and Kidd being a big part of it, and when things don't go well its generally suggested that its because of Cuban (like he is tying Nico hands with tax limitations).  I'm not even saying this sentiment isn't true most of the time.  My primary point is that our FO issues have always been Cuban and I have been skeptical from the beginning that he hired somebody with no NBA experience because he was going to step down and hand over the reins to somebody else.

(07-13-2022, 03:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Nico can only work with the hand that he was dealt. And I think that in Dallas case that comes with clear orders. Kamm listed the plan they communicated. I think the missing part is the what they aren´t communicating. The number one priority. Limiting tax spendings (in a best case scenario avoiding the tax).

Do you think they told Dragic they had no minutes for him because they don't want to spend the tax on a large vet min contract?
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: Not really a crusade.  I just think its interesting that when things go well its Nico, and when the shit hits the fan its Cuban (or a generic FO).  I also disagree that the FO is Nico.  It's the entire organization with Cuban and Kidd being a big part of it, and when things don't go well its generally suggested that its because of Cuban (like he is tying Nico hands with tax limitations).  I'm not even saying this sentiment isn't true most of the time.  My primary point is that our FO issues have always been Cuban and I have been skeptical from the beginning that he hired somebody with no NBA experience because he was going to step down and hand over the reins to somebody else.

You know what makes arguments like this break out? The Mavs failing. 

You know what makes everyone happy with "whatever" the power structure over there is, whether we have a clear picture of it or not? The Mavs succeeding. 

You know who has the power, ultimately, to put everything in place to give the Mavs the best chance of succeeding, including and up to firing/hiring the GM, whether we believe the position to be real or make believe or whatever? The owner. 

For me, it's always going to rest at Cuban's doorstep, good or bad. I have had enough experience in my own professional life to understand that the only way to affect positive change is at the top. For evidence, just look at the huge positive impact Cuban had on this organization when he first took over. Can't give him credit for all that good without heaping much of the bad that's happened since onto his ledger, too.

(07-13-2022, 03:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: Do you think they told Dragic they had no minutes for him because they don't want to spend the tax on a large vet min contract?

I don't. If that's the case, you don't even negotiate with the guy. We can assume based on his comments that they did try to sign him. 

I think @"Kammrath" has the right of it, logically, I just don't have as much faith as he does that they'll pull whatever plan they have off. But if they do, I'll give them credit for it (if I feel like it's actually better than just giving Dragic a bigger role).
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Not an evil robot
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: Do you think they told Dragic they had no minutes for him because they don't want to spend the tax on a large vet min contract?

I think in the big picture that´s a minor mistake. Maybe not a mistake at all if they can find another solution. Everything that followed the Brunson disaster is damage control...at least in my opinion.
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Everything that followed the Brunson disaster is damage control...at least in my opinion.

I think that is a fair read of the situation and I would probably say the same. They WANTED to keep JB, they did not accomplish that. So what they are executing now is "damage control" or "plan B." 

I personally am of the opinion that "plan B" can be almost as good as keeping JB, depending on what they pull off. Losing JB for instance is not like losing Luka. Losing Luka would be a catastrophe, losing JB might only be a minor setback or hiccup along the road.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think that is a fair read of the situation and I would probably say the same. They WANTED to keep JB, they did not accomplish that. So what they are executing now is "damage control" or "plan B." 

I personally am of the opinion that "plan B" can be almost as good as keeping JB, depending on what they pull off. Losing JB for instance is not like losing Luka. Losing Luka would be a catastrophe, losing JB might only be a minor setback or hiccup along the road.

Probably down to plan C or D. Let´s hope that we don´t end up with plan F (for failure).
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Losing Luka would be a catastrophe, losing JB might only be a minor setback or hiccup along the road.

Agree with this, but ONLY IF there actually is some sort of backup plan (that happens in real life) that's much better than what we've seen to this point. 

I'm expecting to hear that they're signing Dorsey to be their 3rd rotation ball-handler like any day now. I like the world you're living in much better, so I hope you're correct.
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with this, but ONLY IF there actually is some sort of backup plan (that happens in real life) that's much better than what we've seen to this point. 

I think based on what we know of the timeline of all this that trading KP for SD was part of "plan B" or a hedge recognizing that they might need to go there this summer. Imagine if they hadn't pulled off that trade? Can you imagine the state of things right now? Yuck.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BoredAssistant, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like the world you're living in much better, so I hope you're correct.

[Image: dreamland-spinning.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 04:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think based on what we know of the timeline of all this that trading KP for SD was part of "plan B" or a hedge recognizing that they might need to go there this summer. Imagine if they hadn't pulled off that trade? Can you imagine the state of things right now? Yuck.

For sure. All of this happening, with KP (and likely no Wood) would be worse. Dinwiddie was a good addition in more than one way. 

I also like that we're seeing (what I believe to be) a different "sort" of player come through here. Wood, Dinwiddie and even Hardy are, to me, guys they wouldn't have even wanted with Donnie/Cuban/Carlisle. It remains to be seen whether it will be a positive change or not in the long run, but I believe I'm seeing a shift to make this place more attractive to the NBA-subculture types that Dallas has really never messed with in the past. 

If they hit on a few guys like that and things work out, I can see this paying off in some peripheral ways that are less than obvious, but still important. Maybe the "cool factor" from the clique's perspective was the difference for Jae Crowder between the Mavs and PHX recently, for example. Seems like Rondo couldn't wait to get out of here...there are other examples we could list, but I've always felt it was bigger than just "Carlisle isn't a players' coach" or "Dirk is a Euro." I think the culture of this organization has always simultaneously been its biggest strength and weakness, from certain perspectives.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't. If that's the case, you don't even negotiate with the guy. We can assume based on his comments that they did try to sign him. 

I think @"Kammrath" has the right of it, logically, I just don't have as much faith as he does that they'll pull whatever plan they have off. But if they do, I'll give them credit for it (if I feel like it's actually better than just giving Dragic a bigger role).

I'm in a state right now that I can just imagine the conversation: 
Nico: "We'll offer your client $1 mil a year to sit on our bench."
Duffy: "Ummmm, vet minimum is $3 mil a year."
Nico: "What? Never mind. See ya."
Angry
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with this, but ONLY IF there actually is some sort of backup plan (that happens in real life) that's much better than what we've seen to this point. 

I'm expecting to hear that they're signing Dorsey to be their 3rd rotation ball-handler like any day now. I like the world you're living in much better, so I hope you're correct.

I think you're right. But I expect they will sign Dorsey to a 2-way, with an open 15-man roster spot left as a carrot, in case he works his way into being worth one.

But I sure do agree with you in hoping Kamm's right, with a big trade ahead. That would certainly be a wonderful surprise.
Like Reply
This is NOT where I got the idea I've been trying to sell around here (multi-team deal resulting in Mitchell to BRK, Durant to PHX). It's a hypothetical that supposes, like I do, that it's the most likely outcome. Very interesting, and I think very close to what we might actually see happen.

https://youtu.be/xvDNoUpSxNI
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Just saying

https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/1...1358956544
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...3430743040
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7306164228
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 10:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...3430743040

Brunson will love playing second fiddle to Mitchell...haha
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...9536553984
Like Reply