Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
https://twitter.com/HoopAnalysisNet/stat...6102165505
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...9985520640
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 07:42 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status...8154811393

I think this was always the preferred ending.  Question, can you move Kyrie and keep Durant happy?  I think moving Kyrie is the best solution.   Maybe you hold your nose, if there is not trade to be made.

(07-13-2022, 10:05 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...9985520640

I can see this.  Makes sense good teams would have an interest in a solid role player/ pest to other teams.   

I would guess he is probably worth a small asset.   Not a first round pick, but something back without a long term commitment back to Utah.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7805699072
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 10:23 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think this was always the preferred ending.  Question, can you move Kyrie and keep Durant happy?  I think moving Kyrie is the best solution.   Maybe you hold your nose, if there is not trade to be made.

I can see this.  Makes sense good teams would have an interest in a solid role player/ pest to other teams.   

I would guess he is probably worth a small asset.   Not a first round pick, but something back without a long term commitment back to Utah.

Dwight Powell would look good in a Jazz uniform...
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 07:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Hope will be filled.  I'm still throwing out proposals.  Something I find interesting is holding open the 15th spot.  We typically think in terms of a two for one outgoing (expiring Powell and asset Green for Beverley for instance).  But holding that spot seems to indicate the opposite might be true (one Dallas player outgoing for two incoming).  

I think the other thing that has to be considered is the when.  Now or at the TDL?

A different angle for the 15th spot is "no one outgoing, no one incoming" and the Mavs just use it to cycle through prospects. Ever since Nico said they "might" just leave it open for flexibility, I've felt that could be a sign that they have nothing cooking, are stopping at 14, and want to give the illusion of "something more is possible."
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 11:38 AM)F Gump Wrote: A different angle for the 15th spot is "no one outgoing, no one incoming" and the Mavs just use it to cycle through prospects. Ever since Nico said they "might" just leave it open for flexibility, I've felt that could be a sign that they have nothing cooking, are stopping at 14, and want to give the illusion of "something more is possible."

So frustrating to be a Mavs fan right now. At least we still have Luka - for another year.
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 11:38 AM)F Gump Wrote: A different angle for the 15th spot is "no one outgoing, no one incoming" and the Mavs just use it to cycle through prospects. Ever since Nico said they "might" just leave it open for flexibility, I've felt that could be a sign that they have nothing cooking, are stopping at 14, and want to give the illusion of "something more is possible."

I hope we are scouting other G-League teams for prospects because our talent pool there looks like a 40 and over, smokers only, rec team.

It's also almost impossible to believe that the MBT think they can get away with Luka and Dinwiddie as the only two facilitators on the team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 12:19 PM)cow Wrote: I hope we are scouting other G-League teams for prospects because our talent pool there looks like a 40 and over, smokers only, rec team.

It's also almost impossible to believe that the MBT think they can get away with Luka and Dinwiddie as the only two facilitators on the team.

I'm not sure why folks are surprised at this?  They went into last season with only Luka and Brunson, and at the time there was significant question about Brunson being a true point guard.
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 12:29 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not sure why folks are surprised at this?  They went into last season with only Luka and Brunson, and at the time there was significant question about Brunson being a true point guard.

The question is, why would they *want* to, after seeing the tremendous success they had having three ballhandlers in the heavy rotation. 

If they're thinking that way, they're stupid, and my strong hunch is that they're thinking that way. I need my banghead smiley from the old board.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • cow, F Gump, mvossman, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 12:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The question is, why would they *want* to, after seeing the tremendous success they had having three ballhandlers in the heavy rotation. 

If they're thinking that way, they're stupid, and my strong hunch is that they're thinking that way. I need my banghead smiley from the old board.

[Image: jenn-jenn-robbins.gif]

And Dinwiddies knees are made of graham crackers and marshmallow fluff.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...8494187531
Like Reply
https://cavaliersnation.com/2022/07/13/r...in-sexton/

Quote:Like the [Houston] Rockets before them, the Jazz remain engaged in various trade conversations to retool around [Donovan] Mitchell,” Bleacher Report’s Jake Fischer wrote. “Utah has explored a sign-and-trade scenario that would send veteran point guard Mike Conley to Cleveland in exchange for restricted free agent Collin Sexton, sources said. The Cavaliers wouldn’t appear to have a need for an additional point guard, and it seems unlikely that Conley would be the returning player Cleveland would prioritize if talks ever gained legitimate traction.”

Sexton isn't that valuable. CLE has no need for Conley. Seems like a 3rd team that has something CLE wants is needed here. There were rumblings that CLE needed a backup big. I'm not sure if they still need that given they signed Robin Lopez, but you have to wonder if the Mavs can get involved here.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 12:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The question is, why would they *want* to, after seeing the tremendous success they had having three ballhandlers in the heavy rotation. 

This is my point.  This FO has been a mess for many years, including last offseason.  I think a lot of folks talked themselves into Nico being a savior after the KP trade worked out, but to me it always seemed unrealistic that bringing in a guy with no NBA front office experience was going turn our FO issues around.  I'm still holding out hope that something is done to make more sense of this roster, but its probably false hope.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • F Gump, omahen
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 07:00 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This points to one of three things IMO:

1) The Mavs have plans for a minutes distribution from guys currently on the roster that doesn't leave 20 mins for another backup PG.

2) The Mavs have plans for a trade that would squeeze the minutes of someone like Dragic.

3) The Mavs have plans to to sign someone else as a FA that would squeeze the minutes of someone like Dragic. 

I personally think all the signs heavily point toward #2 and that the Mavs are planning some sort of trade that is waiting on the whole KD fiasco. 

I also personally think the Mavs angling for Ben Simmons makes the most sense of all the tea leaves FWIW. 

Otherwise it seems like the Mavs have a plan for JG/FN/JH to be getting some very intentional backup PG minutes.

If we trade for Simmons, we'll just make him the 3rd string center to give us more depth...lol. Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

(07-13-2022, 02:15 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: If we trade for Simmons, we'll just make him the 3rd string center to give us more depth...lol. Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

Make him earn his starting spot by showing he can shoot first.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 02:08 PM)mvossman Wrote: This is my point.  This FO has been a mess for many years, including last offseason.  I think a lot of folks talked themselves into Nico being a savior after the KP trade worked out, but to me it always seemed unrealistic that bringing in a guy with no NBA front office experience was going turn our FO issues around.  I'm still holding out hope that something is done to make more sense of this roster, but its probably false hope.
I don’t remember a single post talking about Nico being a savior. There were lots of posts happy with him seeing things the way they saw it with KP, and hope for the future. “Savior”, nah, I don’t remember that.
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 02:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t remember a single post talking about Nico being a savior. There were lots of posts happy with him seeing things the way they saw it with KP, and hope for the future. “Savior”, nah, I don’t remember that.

The term "savior" was hyperbole, but there were a lot of "trust in Nico" posts.  There was a lot of excitement and hope that he would make a difference in how this FO operates, which was encouraged after the KP trade worked out and after the Wood trade.  He got a ton of praise for those two moves and some honorable mentions for Hardy, but when shit started going bad he has not been mentioned at all.  Its been all Cuban or "the FO".
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • khaled1987, KillerLeft, Not an evil robot, omahen
Like Reply
(07-13-2022, 02:43 PM)mvossman Wrote: The term "savior" was hyperbole, but there were a lot of "trust in Nico" posts.  There was a lot of excitement and hope that he would make a difference in how this FO operates, which was encouraged after the KP trade worked out and after the Wood trade.  He got a ton of praise for those two moves and some honorable mentions for Hardy, but when shit started going bad he has not been mentioned at all.  Its been all Cuban or "the FO".
The FO IS Nico, I don’t understand this crusade. It’s pretty natural to think when there is a big change like the GM being replaced that anything that seems a bit contrary to what had been happening is the new guy putting his stamp on things while the status quo is at least as much about those who haven’t left as it is him, if not more. I myself lumped Finley and even Dirk as a consultant as part of keeping the status quo.
Like Reply
Nico can only work with the hand that he was dealt. And I think that in Dallas case that comes with clear orders. Kamm listed the plan they communicated. I think the missing part is the what they aren´t communicating. The number one priority. Limiting tax spendings (in a best case scenario avoiding the tax).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
When it comes to this BRK stuff, I think you guys are falling for the public negotiations. Every single public statement, direct, leaked, whatever, that came after the news of the trade request, has been negotiation. Literally, all of them. 

Instead of what's being said, examine the actions.

The Nets ran this same play during the Harden situation recently. He got traded. There are other dots I could spend time here connecting, like the timing of the trade request, the fact that certain other teams' activity has been frozen since the request was made, etc, etc. 

The bottom line, I believe, is that any notion of Durant playing another year in BRK (particularly together), is probably foolish. At least one of them is getting traded, I think, and my bet is that both will move. It might take until August, maybe even after training camp.
Like Reply