Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
I'm glad the discussion is about the frontcourt.  I hope that's the same with the front office.

I think sliding DFS to starting SF and getting a good rebounding starting PF would solve a lot of problems.  Luka is the best rebounder at PG/SG/SF in the league but we're at last to all rebounding stats.
Like Reply
Zach Klein on Twitter: "In talking with multiple sources around the NBA, many believe Hawks on verge of trading for San Antonio's All-Star guard Dejounte Murray - However, it's looking like John Collins is not part of deal. Would be Gallo & multiple 1st round picks. Spurs prepping for future & '23 draft" / Twitter
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • nash_funk
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:20 PM)omahen Wrote: Zach Klein on Twitter: "In talking with multiple sources around the NBA, many believe Hawks on verge of trading for San Antonio's All-Star guard Dejounte Murray - However, it's looking like John Collins is not part of deal. Would be Gallo & multiple 1st round picks. Spurs prepping for future & '23 draft" / Twitter

Let's hope the FO is working a deal for Collins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nash_funk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 11:08 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I would acquire the talent and figure it out later.  It's not like either of them are on a contract that would be hard to move.  Mavs should be all in on premium talent acquisition.  I still think that they need to end up with some semblance of a defensive presence at C, but not afraid to take steps to get there.  Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Don't really get this argument.  If they had the option to get a great deal on him then sure, but with potentially plenty of suitors with more assets than we have there is not much reason to think we would get a particularly good deal.  We don't really have the assets for it anyways, unless we expend every future asset we have.  No idea why we would do that for a player who is redundant with the one we just acquired.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:20 PM)omahen Wrote: Zach Klein on Twitter: "In talking with multiple sources around the NBA, many believe Hawks on verge of trading for San Antonio's All-Star guard Dejounte Murray - However, it's looking like John Collins is not part of deal. Would be Gallo & multiple 1st round picks. Spurs prepping for future & '23 draft" / Twitter

Been talking to some Spurs fans because I was surprised Murray was even on the market. They say he randomly unfollowed the team on social media and posted something about how no one on the team works more than he does which is exactly the sort of thing that won't go over well with Pop. They didn't sound excited about getting Collins back for him though. Not sure they're excited about Gallo and 3 firsts either because they figure Murray should have huge trade value though they prefer that one because it has a more clear direction towards straight rebuild. Take that fwiw
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:20 PM)nash_funk Wrote: I'm glad the discussion is about the frontcourt.  I hope that's the same with the front office.

I think sliding DFS to starting SF and getting a good rebounding starting PF would solve a lot of problems.  Luka is the best rebounder at PG/SG/SF in the league but we're at last to all rebounding stats.

So we are going to let Dorian, Bullock, Timmy, Green and Frank all share minutes at the 3?  That is 3 of our top 8 guys and most of our prospects (hell the rookie fits in this spot as well).  Does not make much sense from a roster construction standpoint unless more than one of those guys are going out.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: So we are going to let Dorian, Bullock, Timmy, Green and Frank all share minutes at the 3?  That is 3 of our top 8 guys and most of our prospects (hell the rookie fits in this spot as well).  Does not make much sense from a roster construction standpoint unless more than one of those guys are going out.

I'm guessing it will look different this time next week.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:35 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Been talking to some Spurs fans because I was surprised Murray was even on the market. They say he randomly unfollowed the team on social media and posted something about how no one on the team works more than he does which is exactly the sort of thing that won't go over well with Pop. They didn't sound excited about getting Collins back for him though. Not sure they're excited about Gallo and 3 firsts either because they figure Murray should have huge trade value though they prefer that one because it has a more clear direction towards straight rebuild. Take that fwiw

That deal would be huge for Atlanta, imho
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:40 PM)Winter Wrote:  I'm guessing it will look different this time next week.

It will have to look a lot different to make any sense going with a two big approach from a roster standpoint.  I'm also curious if it will look that different next week.  A lot will depend on Brunson decision, but if he stays I would not be surprised if it doesn't change much at all.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:50 PM)omahen Wrote: That deal would be huge for Atlanta, imho

Adding a defender like Murray to be Trae's backcourt partner is a big win, especially if Trae is willing to be an off ball shooter and run around screens like a mad man when Murray triggers the offense.

They still have their front court to potentially trade (Collins, Capela) to bolster the rest of the team around Young, Murray and Hunter.

After standing pat off their unexpected ECF run, they saw their 2021-22 season fall way off and are done standing pat.

That Hawks team is a good cautionary tale for the Mavs and why talent acquisition can't ever stop.  Nico and co. not making the same mistake with the Wood trade and getting back into the draft to snag a guy they liked.  Doesn't mean you can punch your ticket back to WCFs but it's the right way to approach every offseason...be opportunistic and try and improve every year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
NBACentral on Twitter: "Report: Kevon Looney expected to stay with Golden State Warriors on multiyear deal https://t.co/tqdmzg6R26" / Twitter
Like Reply

So, who plays PG for San Antonio?
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 03:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, who plays PG for San Antonio?

Be prepared?
Like Reply

Tre Jones Smile

If their goal trully is to just tank for Wembanyana, I guess they will find some cheap short term FA and sell rest of cap space. This trade with Atlanta (if true) could indicate that.
Like Reply

I assume Tre Jones if he isn't a FA.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: So we are going to let Dorian, Bullock, Timmy, Green and Frank all share minutes at the 3?  That is 3 of our top 8 guys and most of our prospects (hell the rookie fits in this spot as well).  Does not make much sense from a roster construction standpoint unless more than one of those guys are going out.

DFS has a 14.3 rebounding rate and is 6'7"/220lbs.  

Collins has a 24.7 rebounding rate and is 6'9"/226lbs.

We get killed on the boards.  DFS is our starting PF because we don't have a better option.  This offseason should be about getting a better option.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 03:19 PM)nash_funk Wrote: DFS is our starting PF because we don't have a better option.

Not sure why we claim DFS is a PF. DFS was mostly guarding opposing SG (Mitchell, Booker, Thompson) and PG (CP3, Curry). I would say Luka was our PF.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • Jommybone, mvossman, nash_funk
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 03:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Be prepared?

Uh oh.  What am I preparing for?
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 03:22 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure why we claim DFS is a PF. DFS was mostly guarding opposing SG (Mitchell, Booker, Thompson) and PG (CP3, Curry). I would say Luka was our PF.

Whatever you want to call the 4 spot.  DFS doesn't rebound well enough to be a PF.  That said, Bullock and THJ don't rebound well enough to be SFs.

IMO we have a log jam at SG, which is why I wouldn't mind turning Brunson into Julius Randle.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 03:22 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure why we claim DFS is a PF. DFS was mostly guarding opposing SG (Mitchell, Booker, Thompson) and PG (CP3, Curry). I would say Luka was our PF.

Not sure it really makes a difference with all the switching teams deploy on defense.
[-] The following 3 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • F Gump, Jommybone, nash_funk
Like Reply