Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(06-25-2022, 07:58 AM)Smitty Wrote: Of course. I think that’s where most people stand. BUT if Cuban offers less (or unwilling to match), even his greatest advocates better join the crusade with pitchforks in hand.

If Cuban doesn't match or exceed New York's offer I'll grab two pitchforks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 07:58 AM)Smitty Wrote: Of course. I think that’s where most people stand. BUT if Cuban offers less (or unwilling to match), even his greatest advocates better join the crusade with pitchforks in hand.

We need to match whatever NY is offering per year AND a fifth year, with Brunson's choice of P.O.
Like Reply
Man I really hope NY doesn’t offer the max for JB.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 09:31 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man I really hope NY doesn’t offer the max for JB.

They have a lot of clearing to do to get there I believe. Isn't JB's max somewhere north of $30M?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...0258782209
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 09:33 AM)Kammrath Wrote: They have a lot of clearing to do to get there I believe. Isn't JB's max somewhere north of $30M?
All they really need is the threat of it to offer it. They just got the picks and there are a couple contracts that either of them gets you there. Once Jalen says yes (which is all that is needed in this case) NY can make the decision to either execute that plan or work with Dallas for a SnT.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
He is basically the next JRue. Not really a position of need for Dallas, if Brunson stays, but would be a perfect guard next to Luka. I could even see Luka-JB and Murray coexist together

Report: 3 1st-round picks is the ‘benchmark’ in a Dejounte Murray trade - Ahn Fire Digital
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, SleepingHero
Like Reply
My only issue with 3 picks and Murray is his age.

Edit: However, 3 picks and Bertans? Maybe that isn’t so bad?
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 12:03 PM)omahen Wrote: He is basically the next JRue. Not really a position of need for Dallas, if Brunson stays, but would be a perfect guard next to Luka. I could even see Luka-JB and Murray coexist together

Report: 3 1st-round picks is the ‘benchmark’ in a Dejounte Murray trade - Ahn Fire Digital

While not the prototype next to Luka, (due to his poor 3pt shooting), he would be amazing if the other players on the court with them were perimeter threats.  I think if Wood is your big, it makes sense.  He is a defensive menace (who should have made the all d team) that could put our team into championship contention from a defensive standpoint with his D at the point of attack.  If we lose Jalen, I would hope that he would be one of the first calls if he is truly being made available.  

You even get a full year of him before you have to extend him. At less money than THJ.  He would be pretty amazing here.  The other side of the coin is that is why you hold onto those picks and take the lottery tickets that they represent.  He was a 29th pick.  These guys can be found and developed.  I still think Green can be a guy with this kind of defensive impact, but everyone wants to trade him, too.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 12:11 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: My only issue with 3 picks and Murray is his age.

What about his age? He is only 25 and locked for two more seasons
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 12:41 PM)omahen Wrote: What about his age? He is only 25 and locked for two more seasons

26 when the season starts, but yeah, I am fine with his age.  He's like 2 weeks younger than Brunson.  We have to get better on D.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 12:03 PM)omahen Wrote: He is basically the next JRue. Not really a position of need for Dallas, if Brunson stays, but would be a perfect guard next to Luka. I could even see Luka-JB and Murray coexist together

I wrote this in the draft thread by mistake, but a 3-team trade where the Mavs end up with Murray might end up being and even better situation.

Knicks get Brunson 
Mavs get Murray 
Spurs get 2 NYK picks, 1 Mav pick, and salary matching.

Not sure if it's legal though and I don't have the time to do the math. Another name that should be much cheaper is D'Angelo Russell. His defense really turned around this year, and there has been an established history of teams going on to win a championship when they take 1 key player off the Wolves.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 12:41 PM)omahen Wrote: What about his age? He is only 25 and locked for two more seasons
Oh, wow, not sure why I thought he was 28 going on 29…

Nvm then. I would fully trade 3 picks for him!
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 12:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wrote this in the draft thread by mistake, but a 3-team trade where the Mavs end up with Murray might end up being and even better situation.

Knicks get Brunson 
Mavs get Murray 
Spurs get 2 NYK picks, 1 Mav pick, and salary matching.

Not sure if it's legal though and I don't have the time to do the math. Another name that should be much cheaper is D'Angelo Russell. His defense really turned around this year, and there has been an established history of teams going on to win a championship when they take 1 key player off the Wolves.

Does SA even need to get salary matching?  Dallas doesn't need to send anything out - they are sending out JB.  NY has capspace to take in JB.  Now, SA may want talent, but they won't need it for matching purposes. IF we are losing Jalen, I would be amazed if we could luck into something like this.  I would more than like Murray at 35M the next two seasons over JB at 50M + 2years.  Especially if the cost was just one FRP.  You do that every damn day. It solves issues across the board - in the lineup, the defensive capability of this team, and in terms of cap space for the next 2 seasons.  It even helps in rebounding, as Murray is the best rebounder at guard besides Luka. You drop off a little on the offensive end, in terms of shooting, but that is where the Mavs have more available talent to backfill - especially at guard with THJ standing by and JHardy developing in the wings.  Murray more than makes up for that with his superior distribution and ability to push the ball for easy buckets in transition - both things this team could use!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I like Murray. 

I do not agree that he's on Holiday's level, and I will be shocked if they get 3 1sts for him. If they do, I sure hope it's not from the Mavs. I just can't imagine the Mavs willingly putting themselves in a position AGAIN where they can't trade future picks for years and STILL not having that second all star.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:11 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Does SA even need to get salary matching?  Dallas doesn't need to send anything out - they are sending out JB.  NY has capspace to take in JB.  Now, SA may want talent, but they won't need it for matching purposes. IF we are losing Jalen, I would be amazed if we could luck into something like this.  I would more than like Murray at 35M the next two seasons over JB at 50M + 2years.  Especially if the cost was just one FRP.  You do that every damn day. It solves issues across the board - in the lineup, the defensive capability of this team, and in terms of cap space for the next 2 seasons.  It even helps in rebounding, as Murray is the best rebounder at guard besides Luka. You drop off a little on the offensive end, in terms of shooting, but that is where the Mavs have more available talent to backfill - especially at guard with THJ standing by and JHardy developing in the wings.  Murray more than makes up for that with his superior distribution and ability to push the ball for easy buckets in transition - both things this team could use!

Stealing from Dan's post replying to the same idea I accidentally posted in the draft thread:
(06-25-2022, 01:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If Brunson signs for $25mm and we are permitted to make this a S&T, then he counts as $12.5mm going out.  That isn't quite enough to match Murray at 125%, but you could add Green and easily get there.

The bigger issue is where all the picks are coming from.  NY can easily do this without us and as Omahen has pointed out, there is a world in which we have to pay something to even get a TPE.  The only I see that we get even a single pick from NY (preferably our own) is if it will cost them something to drop the final $10mm needed for Brunson.  If some cap team would take Burks or Noel with no compensation returning, then we are screwed.  If it is going to cost NY a pick to dump Burks or Noel, then just as easy to give us the pick to take a $10mm player from NY than to find a third team.

If Brunson walks, I see the following scenarios as possible:

1. NY says they will agree to a S&T where we take Noel and get our first back

2. NY says take the protection off of the Dallas 2023 pick and they will allow us to have a $25mm TPE

3. Dallas says screw you and we lose Brunson for nothing

Meaning it's possible they don't need matching, and the Mavs would only need to add Green to make the money work.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like Murray. 

I do not agree that he's on Holiday's level, and I will be shocked if they get 3 1sts for him. If they do, I sure hope it's not from the Mavs. I just can't imagine the Mavs willingly putting themselves in a position AGAIN where they can't trade future picks for years and STILL not having that second all star.

Im sorry, but I have to say that if this offseason ends up with us gaining Murray/Wood/Hardy for Brunson/(insert 4 end of bench) and 2FRP/2SRPs, I will be super hyped. Plus still having roster spots to fill and possible TPE/TMLE to fill it?  Sign me up. Murray and Wood haven't made an allstar team, but they are star quality.  Murray is a DEFENSIVE star and has offensive allstar-level numbers as well.  I definitely would look at him as a star acquisition.  Way more than retaining JB would be.  It is so crazy that this would even be an issue on this board.  Such a pipe dream.  I don't know why I am even getting up for this.  But if it DID happen?  HELLZ YEAH!
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:21 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Im sorry, but I have to say that if this offseason ends up with us gaining Murray/Wood/Hardy for Brunson/(insert 4 end of bench) and 2FRP/2SRPs, I will be super hyped. Plus still having roster spots to fill and possible TPE/TMLE to fill it?  Sign me up. Murray and Wood haven't made an allstar team, but they are star quality.  Murray is a DEFENSIVE star and has offensive allstar-level numbers as well.  I definitely would look at him as a star acquisition.  Way more than retaining JB would be.  It is so crazy that this would even be an issue on this board.  Such a pipe dream.  I don't know why I am even getting up for this.  But if it DID happen?  HELLZ YEAH!

It's a lot of talent inserted, sure. 

But, Brunson is the best player of the bunch without a doubt. Like, zero doubt. 

And, without the ability to trade future firsts (if you throw THREE future firsts in!!!) your team building has basically concluded well into Luka's next contract, which, under this hypothetical, is very likely with another team.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's a lot of talent inserted, sure. 

But, Brunson is the best player of the bunch without a doubt. Like, zero doubt

And, without the ability to trade future firsts (if you throw THREE future firsts in!!!) your team building has basically concluded well into Luka's next contract, which, under this hypothetical, is very likely with another team.

???

Murray just made an all-star team? He was the engine that drove the Spurs to the play in as well. I HIGHLY doubt if we swap Brunson with Murray the Spurs are as successful.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • mvossman, omahen
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like Murray. 

Even if the salary ballast is Bertans or THJ?
Like Reply