Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(02-07-2023, 09:00 AM)Dundalis Wrote: They were great, I had no friggen clue Green had any of that isolation dribble drive scoring in his bag. Where the hell did that come from and why haven't I seen it before? That being said, Kidd clearly has no interest in giving Hardy any kind of non garbage time role, he couldn't even get minutes with Luka out, it took Dinwiddie and DFS to be gone too. I don't think this performance changes that even unfortunately, even if we didn't trade for Kyrie, Hardy had a breakout 20+ point game a while back too and it made no difference to his game time afterwards.

Green however was always going to get a bigger role as the season went on, but he was hitting some shots off the dribble this game that I have never seen from him, nor did I know he was even capable of. Before this game I projected him purely as a potentially high level 3&D wing who could slash and had some limited ball handling and passing ability. I wanna see whether that was a one off kinda fluke or the offensive creation off the dribble is actually in his bag, though I dunno whether he would have the confidence to try it when Luka and Kyrie are back. But if that is legit in his bag it completely changes his ceiling as a player I think. I just have no idea if it's real.

The more I think about the deal, the more I'm ok with the likelihood of it not working out. I will reserve full judgement until the trade deadline passes any other trades they do or don't make will affect my judgement of the deal to bring in Kyrie. I will say I don't think Green or Hardy's performances change anything that much. Despite how impressive they were, they are such one offs, you cannot have any confidence whatsoever that they can bring that type of performance on any kind of consistent basis which is what we need.

Kidd has always been slow and methodical with roster changes.  He has gradually increased Green's minutes (slower than most folks would like) and he is going slow with Hardy.  If I recall, that last Hardy 20 point outburst was in like 5 minutes of garbage time.  That had the ring of an outlier.  He has not looked ready in his limited time most of the time.  Last night was different.  He played heavy rotational minutes in a competitive game and looked very comfortable.  We already know he completely flipped the switch in G League.  He went from overwhelmed to dominating in one season.  Last night was a sign that he can and maybe is already starting to flip that switch in the NBA.  I think you will see an increase in his meaningful minutes going forward (it doesn't hurt that we just sent out two high minute rotational players for one).
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:32 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This won't be popular, I bet, but I'd do this:

Mavs get:

Love
Rubio

Cavs get:

Wood
Bertans
Ntilikina

You upgrade, short term, to much more usable versions of Ntilikina and Bertans. You have a 3rd guard and a second big who can space. Both are infinitely better than the players they'd replace, though much older. MAYBE you can get a 2nd out of it for Wood, but the prize is dumping Bertans. The "cap space fallback plan" becomes truly real.

You could also do a version that turns THJ into LaVert along with Wood/Bertans going for Love, if you prefer. I like the one above better, personally.

I don't see the fascination of downgrading an already expiring Wood for a washed expiring Love. And getting off Bertans does nothing for the championship aspirations this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
From Cato:

Dallas is indeed actively exploring trade structures involving Wood and Hardaway Jr.

It’s clear the Mavericks believe that he (Wood) shouldn’t be more than a rotation player — one coming off the bench, as he did on Monday in his return from injury — if he’s going to remain on this team.

There really aren’t recent championship teams or even runner-ups who built around a traditional center making $20 million or more, especially not one who wasn’t a defensive anchor. If those are Wood’s demands this summer, then trading him now is justified. It’ll just be a matter to see if they can find any team willing to send something back.

What Dallas still needs is another wing defender and, ideally, a backup big that can replicate what McGee was supposed to provide. Another ball handler would still be useful, of course, since Dallas still doesn’t have many of them and the Dončić-and-Irving duo can still be expected to miss games. But it’s the defending that Kleber’s return alone can’t save, and which most imminently needs outside additions. Now we wait to see if the Mavericks can fill those needs. We’ll have our answer before long.

Why the Mavs’ win over the Jazz briefly upstaged the Kyrie Irving trade - The Athletic
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
turning Wood into Bojan Bogdanovic seems like a winning move to me 
I think he'd have much more an playoff impact this year
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I'd be interested in Wood+THJ for Love+Okoro
[-] The following 3 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:35 AM)Smitty Wrote: I don't see the fascination of downgrading an already expiring Wood for a washed expiring Love.

I'm just working under the assumption that because Wood hasn't accepted that two-year extension, they're dead-set on moving him. That could be incorrect, but with so much of the offense coming from guards now, and such a need for Luka/Kyrie to be the only suspect defenders in the lineup, it actually does make a lot of sense to move him at this point, imo. I think his defensive struggles have been overblown, but he's an offensive player, for sure. 

The trade off for Wood is getting them to take Bertans. Rubio, imo, is actually a piece that raises the ceiling of the next few years. He's a competent PG off the bench who can be a point of attack defender almost as effective as Ntilikina, only in the form of someone who could actually play 20 minutes a night in a playoff series. 

It makes the team better this year and more flexible moving forward without requiring draft capital. 

If there's a better deal out there, I'd take it, but I'm honestly pretty convinced that 

A) Wood is going to be moved
B) They're probably only looking at expiring money right now
Like Reply
Wait, did I write that? Smile

Mavs Trade Predictions Ahead of Thursday's Deadline | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:41 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: A) Wood is going to be moved

I agree completely. Just don't think it'll be for Love. At least I hope not.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:41 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I'd be interested in Wood+THJ for Love+Okoro

Would LOVE that...doubt Okoro is available, but if so, that's great. 

I'd still try to get Rubio out of it, somehow, and Love's deal is one of the few that can move and is big enough to include Bertans in the deal (or McGee, if we think that's more realistic, but I don't). 

Since Love is out of their rotation, I can see Cleveland talking themselves into Bertans taking his "emergency spacer big" role.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:41 AM)omahen Wrote: Wait, did I wright that? Smile

Mavs Trade Predictions Ahead of Thursday's Deadline | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Not a fan of bleacher report, but this was a well written article.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:36 AM)omahen Wrote: From Cato:

There really aren’t recent championship teams or even runner-ups who built around a traditional center 

So, by definition a traditional center now is someone with a face-up game, can dribble the length of the court for a lay-up, drive to the basket, pass decently and shoot from 3 at a good rate.

Alright, I give up, this FO is so whack thinking Wood is a 7th guy in a rotation that they are actually looking for someone who can be the 7th or 8th guy to replace him.

Maybe they can get Holmes from Sacramento plus a first. It's the first that counts nowadays.
Yep, until Wood destroys the Mavs in the playoffs, or better yet, the Kings get to the playoffs and the Mavs don't.
Like Reply
Wood and Hardaway for PJ Washington and Hayward?   Just not sure Charlotte would want Hardaway.    If they had an interest in Wood it would give them a 4 month trial.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
Grant Williams and Derrick White for Bullock, Wood and the 27?

Does that do anything for anyone?
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Wood and Hardaway for PJ Washington and Hayward?

Yes!
Like Reply
Ya, PJ and Maxi together would do some damage. Either of them can play with Powell too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 07:48 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Los Angeles Lakers Are In 3-Team Trade Talks To Land Tobias Harris And Furkan Korkmaz (msn.com)

Fake news?

Westbrook's contract is SO bad, I can't imagine them moving him without using picks.  Even for Harris' bad contract.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:50 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Grant Williams and Derrick White for Bullock, Wood and the 27?

Does that do anything for anyone?

I think Boston says no to that. But I just wanted to post a Grant Williams rumor. How about Bullock and pick for Williams and Gallo (to match the salary)?

Boston Celtics trade intel two days from the deadline - CelticsBlog
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:41 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm just working under the assumption that because Wood hasn't accepted that two-year extension, they're dead-set on moving him. That could be incorrect, but with so much of the offense coming from guards now, and such a need for Luka/Kyrie to be the only suspect defenders in the lineup, it actually does make a lot of sense to move him at this point, imo. I think his defensive struggles have been overblown, but he's an offensive player, for sure. 

The trade off for Wood is getting them to take Bertans. Rubio, imo, is actually a piece that raises the ceiling of the next few years. He's a competent PG off the bench who can be a point of attack defender almost as effective as Ntilikina, only in the form of someone who could actually play 20 minutes a night in a playoff series. 

It makes the team better this year and more flexible moving forward without requiring draft capital. 

If there's a better deal out there, I'd take it, but I'm honestly pretty convinced that 

A) Wood is going to be moved
B) They're probably only looking at expiring money right now

I'm not sure how this makes us better this year?  Love is a clear downgrade from Wood and Rubio looks like he is going to need a year to fully recover from his injury.  

I don't get the focus on clearing cap space for next season?  If Kyrie walks for nothing, this will have been a complete failure of a trade (unless we win it all).  If we don't hold on to Kyrie, the plan would be to S&T him to LA for (potentially) Harris and assets.  In that scenario we are not going to have tons of cap space next offseason regardless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:52 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ya, PJ and Maxi together would do some damage. Either of them can play with Powell too.

I think PJ could be a guy I would have an interest in the future with one of our protected future first round picks.   Just not sure we would offer a first for him now.   If we did, would asking for Nick Richards or one of their younger prospects not in their long term plans make it more doable?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 10:57 AM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not sure how this makes us better this year?  Love is a clear downgrade from Wood and Rubio looks like he is going to need a year to fully recover from his injury.  

I don't get the focus on clearing cap space for next season?  If Kyrie walks for nothing, this will have been a complete failure of a trade (unless we win it all).  If we don't hold on to Kyrie, the plan would be to S&T him to LA for (potentially) Harris and assets.  In that scenario we are not going to have tons of cap space next offseason regardless.

It’s not the approach I would take either, creating cap space. But, that idea is coming from somewhere, and it’s probably from the team. The idea might not be to create cap space, but to get out of the luxury tax next year. “Cap space” might just be how they’re selling it.  Cuban just took a huge financial hit on this trade. I think it’s like almost $30 million more he’ll have to spend.

I totally agree that if Irving doesn’t work out here long-term, the trade was a total disaster. I believe I’m on record for a full 24 hour period, nonstop, saying that I believe this to be the likely outcome. Disaster.

I disagree with your opinion that it would not make the team better, because Kevin love is probably a more win-now  player than Wood, and much better than Bertans. I actually think Rubio off the bench would raise this team’s ceiling significantly.

It’s definitely not a sexy trade, but again, I am just working under the assumption that Cuban wants to save money next year and that for whatever reason, the Mavericks do not appreciate Wood the way that I do.
Like Reply