Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
Why couldn’t he have just accepted one of the other offers? Save us from ourselves.

If we had kept JB, and signed Markannen to his contract, we would be sitting pretty right now.
Like Reply
Remember when Cuban used to talk about being opportunistic? This is what that moment looks like. The risk is as high as the potential reward, but there appears to be a real superstar within the reach of a team like Dallas willing to take the chance.

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...9875125248
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 01:14 AM)Tyler Wrote: Remember when Cuban used to talk about being opportunistic? This is what that moment looks like. The risk is as high as the potential reward, but there appears to be a real superstar within the reach of a team like Dallas willing to take the chance.

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...9875125248

He wants a 4-year max. You willing to give that to him?
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 01:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: He wants a 4-year max. You willing to give that to him?
Yes, as I am trading him to the Lakers for 2 firsts.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 01:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: He wants a 4-year max. You willing to give that to him?
No. But the 2 year extension would be fine. It would leave us with assets for a 3rd swing at a co-star before Luka has a chance to leave. No other way do we get that. 

The best way is to trade as if he’s a rental though. If it doesn’t take much then why not. He can’t break our broken team anymore than it already is in two months
Like Reply
Crazy this team could be out of playin positioning after this road-trip.

This front office cannot bypass a trade that may make us worse this year if one presents itself that they like better for our future.  I fear they may not even be considering these trades though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 07:57 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Crazy this team could be out of playin positioning after this road-trip.

This front office cannot bypass a trade that may make us worse this year if one presents itself that they like better for our future.  I fear they may not even be considering these trades though.

Well....we certainly will see this week.  I have never seen a race this close where the 3 seed is separated from the 13th seed by only 5/1/2 games at the halfway point in the season.  Every team I referenced from those spots has a chance to either improve themselves, or roll snake-eyes at the end of the TDL.
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 11:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1...8260305920

Quote from the article below.  Of all the teams looking for center help, the only one Wood has been mentioned for has been LAC.  Don’t know if that is a really good job of keeping things quiet, reflective of a plan to keep him or disinterest around the league.

Fischer adds that other reserve centers could very well be on the move, as his sources indicate that the SixersClippersTrail BlazersNuggetsNetsCelticsRaptors and Kings are all looking to improve that position
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:25 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Quote from the article below.  Of all the teams looking for center help, the only one Wood has been mentioned for has been LAC.  Don’t know if that is a really good job of keeping things quiet, reflective of a plan to keep him or disinterest around the league.

Fischer adds that other reserve centers could very well be on the move, as his sources indicate that the SixersClippersTrail BlazersNuggetsNetsCelticsRaptors and Kings are all looking to improve that position
I saw that too. The one that jumped out was the Blazers. Wood for Hart. I would rather pay Hart. A Grant/Wood pairing makes sense for Portland. Hart can play with anyone similar to Dorian who may be on the way out in something big
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/...2166508547
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:31 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: I saw that too. The one that jumped out was the Blazers. Wood for Hart. I would rather pay Hart. A Grant/Wood pairing makes sense for Portland. Hart can play with anyone similar to Dorian who may be on the way out in something big

Can he play center?

The reason he's mentioned in so many trade rumors is he's got that really strange contract.  It is non-guaranteed next year AND a Player Option.  The fear in Portland it he's a flight risk.  I guess the same is true of Wood, but if you do a Wood/Hart deal you have to do another deal for a center.
Like Reply
I've been reading some forums and twitter trade proposals and it's pretty crazy how peopple are overreacting. The situation it's far from ideal, but reading some trade proposals people are proposing i'm getting a feeling that some of them really want us to go on full rebuild (tank) and that we aren't even in the playoffs spots. Also amount of disrespect to our players it's pretty crazy.

When i've been writting after JB left last summer that we will easily replace him statistically, but not on the court was confirmed. Spencer and THJ are both replacing JB statistically, but in terms of roster balance we see that difference. 

Spencer in my opinion is great 6 man. He is PG, but he is not PG. He is, let's say some version of Lou Williams as a scoring guard who can create his own shot, but he is not floor general and someone who can control the game and organize offense when Luka is not on the court.

And that's the biggest difference between last season and this season 0-7 without Luka. The JB effect.

So looking at the TDL, i would target D'Angelo Russell for that role. If we can get him on a cheap that's the deal we should be do it. THJ/Bullock + salary filler + 1 first round pick would be great and Russell on this team would immidiatly improve our winning score for the few wins.

We won't be that true contenders with him, but we've been the closest thing to have still have ''JB'' on this roster.

Next things are Kidd and Wood. Kidd showed last season that he is really underrated coach and i don't think he is blind. There is been a lot of hate towards him, specially because of not playing Wood, but i don't think that his idea and decision but the decision of ''one of our GM's''.

We spended how many years on KP and failed? Now we get better version of KP here for a cheap and half of his salary and we don't want to extend him? 

I really hope our FO are not so blind to not try to extend him, even some damage already did.

DFS trade? Player who spend all his career with Dallas and his prime example of loyalty.

If we can get Russell at the TDL and remain our core of the team

Wood - Powell
DFS -
? - Green
Russell - Hardy
Luka - Spencer

With some bad trade assets and fillers (THJ, Bullock, Bertans, McGee) but future draft picks to trade that's still pretty good looking future. And if we can put together one big/good trade in the summer with this roster that can put as on the position of contender.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAVS-SLO's post:
  • F Gump, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
It is interesting how the Irving thing has sucked the oxygen out of the entire league.  No more talk of TDL lynchpin Toronto.  Now, Danny Ainge is the most powerful man in the room as he holds the fate of Kyrie to LAL in his hands.  Add to that the fact that the price has now skyrocketed for anyone else who was interested in a player from Utah.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:43 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: I've been reading some forums and twitter trade proposals and it's pretty crazy how peopple are overreacting. The situation it's far from ideal, but reading some trade proposals people are proposing i'm getting a feeling that some of them really want us to go on full rebuild (tank) and that we aren't even in the playoffs spots. Also amount of disrespect to our players it's pretty crazy.

When i've been writting after JB left last summer that we will easily replace him statistically, but not on the court was confirmed. Spencer and THJ are both replacing JB statistically, but in terms of roster balance we see that difference. 

Spencer in my opinion is great 6 man. He is PG, but he is not PG. He is, let's say some version of Lou Williams as a scoring guard who can create his own shot, but he is not floor general and someone who can control the game and organize offense when Luka is not on the court.

And that's the biggest difference between last season and this season 0-7 without Luka. The JB effect.

So looking at the TDL, i would target D'Angelo Russell for that role. If we can get him on a cheap that's the deal we should be do it. THJ/Bullock + salary filler + 1 first round pick would be great and Russell on this team would immidiatly improve our winning score for the few wins.

We won't be that true contenders with him, but we've been the closest thing to have still have ''JB'' on this roster.

Next things are Kidd and Wood. Kidd showed last season that he is really underrated coach and i don't think he is blind. There is been a lot of hate towards him, specially because of not playing Wood, but i don't think that his idea and decision but the decision of ''one of our GM's''.

We spended how many years on KP and failed? Now we get better version of KP here for a cheap and half of his salary and we don't want to extend him? 

I really hope our FO are not so blind to not try to extend him, even some damage already did.

DFS trade? Player who spend all his career with Dallas and his prime example of loyalty.

Wood - Powell
DFS -
? - Green
Russell - Hardy
Luka - Spencer

With some bad trade assets and fillers (THJ, Bullock, Bertans, McGee) but future draft picks to trade that's still pretty good looking future. And if we can put together one big/good trade in the summer with this roster that can put as on the position of contender.

All good points.  Not saying you are wrong, but a few points from my point of view:

1) Others have said this as well about Dinwiddie being an ideal 6th man.  While it may be true, I am not sure putting him back in a 6th man role is going to work.   That is a tough conversation and I expect him to have major pull back in such a conversation.  ESPN has mentioned this a few times during games that Spencer telling them that he is a 20 point a game scorer and last year it was mentioned he was fine coming off the bench when he was traded but in another situation he would not have been happy coming off the bench.   I am just not sure you get buy in asking him to come off the bench with our roster.  That opens up many other questions for me.

2) While Russell would be an upgrade, I don't like paying for mistakes we made this offseason.  I would not include a first.  I don't view Russel as a long term fit here.   I would hold on to my picks until the offseason and then look for the Bojan type level moves.    So, while I don't think I can find a Russell type of player at the deadline.  I would do everything possible to do a B or a B- level Russel type player.   Ideally moving one of our near 30 year old players.
Like Reply

"Willing" is a complicated word.

Do I want to give him 4 years? Definitely not. Could I get excited about the possibilities and talk myself into it? Absolutely.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:43 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: I've been reading some forums and twitter trade proposals and it's pretty crazy how peopple are overreacting. The situation it's far from ideal, but reading some trade proposals people are proposing i'm getting a feeling that some of them really want us to go on full rebuild (tank) and that we aren't even in the playoffs spots. Also amount of disrespect to our players it's pretty crazy.

Wood - Powell
DFS -
? - Green
Russell - Hardy
Luka - Spencer

The problem with a core of Luka/Russell/Wood is that the team will never be good enough defensively to be a contender.  It's the same problem with our current (worse) core of Luka/Dinwiddie/Wood.  Also, Minnesota is going to want a playmaker back, so the only route to Russell is Spencer.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 09:33 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: All good points.  Not saying you are wrong, but a few points from my point of view:

1) Others have said this as well about Dinwiddie being an ideal 6th man.  While it may be true, I am not sure putting him back in a 6th man role is going to work.   That is a tough conversation and I expect him to have major pull back in such a conversation.  ESPN has mentioned this a few times during games that Spencer telling them that he is a 20 point a game scorer and last year it was mentioned he was fine coming off the bench when he was traded but in another situation he would not have been happy coming off the bench.   I am just not sure you get buy in asking him to come off the bench with our roster.  That opens up many other questions for me.

If this is true, and its not a legitimate option to make Din a 6th man, then I am joining the club ready to move Dinwiddie.  Its been clear that a Luka/Din backcourt does not work defensively.
Like Reply

Wood - Powell
DFS -
? - Green
Russell - Hardy
Luka - Spencer

Is Maxi not included for a reason or by accident?
Like Reply
The best ability is availability.   I could not care less of Kyrie numerous idiocies as long as those things don’t factor into him staying away from the court. Unfortunately you can’t separate those thing out.  When he does play or decides to playthere has never been a complaint about him though. 

Though I am not excited about him what other options does this franchise have to put another star next to Luka?  At this point you go for a Hail Mary or be resigned to the inevitable that sooner than later he is asking for a trade.  The only stud players we have a realistic shot at are these types where the talent is there but many teams will shy away. If there were no glaring flaws many teams would be interested and given our assets we would have no shot. 

Also even if the Mavs are not really interested in him, they have to create the illusion that they really tried hard. Else it is a message to Luka that this team really doesn’t care much to improve around him. If they fail they can at least tell him they tried hard.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:43 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Kidd showed last season that he is really underrated coach and i don't think he is blind. There is been a lot of hate towards him, specially because of not playing Wood, but i don't think that his idea and decision but the decision of ''one of our GM's''.

I didn't see anything special with Kidd's coaching even from last season. He improved the defense. But I'm assuming that's more on motivating players than strategy.

I'm not speaking for the rest of the Kidd critics, but my gripe with him isn't stemming from the Wood handling alone. It's his sloth like reactions during a game. It's his idIOtic "give-it-10-days-and-we'll-see-from-there" trials for McGee. It's his over reliance on THJ, RB and DFS and the late decision to extend Green's minutes. It's his non existing plays. It's his lineups. It's the in-bound plays. It's the fouling game where he turns games into FT shooting contest when even his star player couldn't hit free throws. 

Last second plays are just hilarious. The Mavs are too predictable.

If the Mavs want to move forward, Kidd needs to go.
There's no need to handicap this team even further with a coach who doesn't do his job well enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply