Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
I'm not as pessimistic about the Irving trade as a lot of yall. I think an Irving addition puts us right into championship contention. Even if it's just a half year rental we would get more flexibility for the future. A 2 year extension would be ideal, so we could flip him if he decides to go crazy and recoup some value back. I think a fair trade for both sides while making both of us better would be:

Mavs: Irving, Harris

Nets: Dinwiddie, Wood, THJ
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 01:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What's saddest to me is that I think he pretty much already has, and we're all spread out, stuck at various points along the "realization spectrum" about it. 

Either the Porzingis or Brunson disaster would've been hard to work around, even by a top-notch franchise loaded with assets. This front office isn't top-notch, didn't start off with an abundance of assets, and is currently trying to dig out of the hole created by enduring BOTH of those missteps. The simple truth is that it might take the entirety of Luka's current rookie max extension to get back to square 1, if these decision makers are even capable of finding a path there at all. 

There are those among us who think a couple of good moves might get this thing ready to compete right away, and sometimes I feel like I'm among them. I think this might be possible for a competent front office, but it's just not clear whether or not that's what the team has, despite the recent changes. 

I've been trying to fight the urge to give up my fandom, but it's tough.

This might be the one special case scenario to get out of the mess this summer by facillitating this three-way deal, but I´m sure if you offered Cuban:

Dinwiddie + DFS + 1st for Kyrie

or

Westbrook + Harris + 1st for Dinwiddie + Bertans + THJ + Wood

he´d take option 1.

100% sure and that is the problem.

It´s not inconceivable that our roster looks like this on July 1st:

Doncic 40.0
Harris 19.9 (expiring)
DFS 13.4
Kleber 11.0
Bullock 10.5
McGee 5.7
Green 4.7
Hardy 1.7
Lakers 1st round pick

106.9 against a projected 134.0 cap.

That give you a legit pathway to a max cap slot (free agency leverage), but also a sizeable base expiring contract (Harris) to match for a star trade, Lavine for example.

If you want to make it more win now and create an even bigger expiring, you could add Hayward/McDaniels for Harris/Powell/two 2nds to the deal. Work Bryant into the Lakers deal, and pull off a cheap deal for Bitadze or Bamba, I´d even argue the new current team is better this season.

Doncic/Westbrook
Green/Bullock
Hayward/McDaniels
DFS/Kleber
Bamba/Bryant
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 01:04 PM)Tyler Wrote: I see it the other way. Many Mavs fans are so irredeemably cynical right now that instead of enjoying the trade deadline they use every bit of news as pretext to rant about Cuban, hate their own team, think of trades that make other teams better at our expense, and talk about Luka eventually walking away. It's exhausting.

When something brings you no joy, take a break! But please don't ruin it for everyone else.

I feel you on this (even though I've contributed a bit on the cynicism).

It's definitely exhausting being a Mavs fan right now. Which is insane to me because Luka is by far and away the best NBA player I've seen the last 20 years.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BoredAssistant, KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/...3218550786
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7304736768
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 01:04 PM)Tyler Wrote: I see it the other way. Many Mavs fans are so irredeemably cynical right now that instead of enjoying the trade deadline they use every bit of news as pretext to rant about Cuban, hate their own team, think of trades that make other teams better at our expense, and talk about Luka eventually walking away. It's exhausting.

When something brings you no joy, take a break! But please don't ruin it for everyone else.

I share your exhaustion regarding the negativity on this board, but not sure I follow you on the trades that make other teams better at our expense?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 01:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: because Luka is by far and away the best NBA player I've seen the last 20 years.

Really?

I dont think Luka is as good as Jokic or Giannis yet.  (not to mention prime Lebron)
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 01:50 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Really?

I dont think Luka is as good as Jokic or Giannis yet.  (not to mention prime Lebron)

I gotta doubt how much NBA you watch with the Ayton and McGee takes and now this one.

Luka is almost there. The difference is, the other two's teams can win still win games if they have a poor game or sit one out.  Luka has to go nuclear every game just for a chance for his team to win.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BoredAssistant, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 01:48 PM)mvossman Wrote: I share your exhaustion regarding the negativity on this board, but not sure I follow you on the trades that make other teams better at our expense?

To be fair, I was reacting to one I saw elsewhere where someone was taking the idea of facilitating a Brooklyn/Lakers deal to an extreme by keeping both of them in the title chase while punting on the Dallas roster for years. The negativity is certainly not limited to here.
Like Reply
https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/...0_38430632

Quote:Once considered the second-most likely player to be dealt at the deadline, O.G. Anunoby has fallen to -300 to be dealt by the Toronto Raptors, conveying a 75% chance he's moved before Thursday, according to DraftKings. That represents nearly a 10% drop in probability following Irving's request.

As for the rest of Toronto's likely trade candidates, Fred VanVleet has continued to move up the odds chart and now sits at -280 to be dealt, implying a 74% probability. He had been given about a 60% chance of being dealt as of earlier in the week.

Gary Trent Jr. remains at -250, conveying a 71% chance Toronto moves on from its starting shooting guard before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline.

As for the top of the chart, Jae Crowder and Irving are listed at -500, the most likely players to be dealt.

Pascal Siakam sits at +200 to be dealt, implying a 33% chance the Raptors trade their 28-year-old forward.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 08:28 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Hey @"KillerLeft" it is apparently KIDD who wants Kyrie. 

Do you believe me yet that 1) he is the defacto GM right now and 2) he sucks beyond all belief at it???

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...6942314504

MacMahon on the hoop collectives message was more along the lines of “Nico and Kidd have positive relationships with Kyrie but also have major hesitation”

Also to the idea that MacMahon was reporting the mavs were going to offer DFS/Green couldn’t be further from the truth, he listed two guys KD likes and a package he thinks the Nets would accept. Goes on to say he doesn’t see the Mavs offering more than Hardaway/Wood.

This will all blow over next week most likely when we aren’t involved with this but it’s fascinating to see this boards reaction.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 02:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/...0_38430632

Love this, we need as much talent as possible on the market this offseason when we can actually offer something.
Like Reply
Thing is with all the Mavs fans' cynicism is that it's a matter of 1) knowing how great Luka is, and 2) knowing he's very likely to force his way out if things don't improve bigtime in the next year or two.

All they have to do is either go ridiculously all-in right now, or more reasonably all-in this summer on a trade for Siakam, and with even minimally-competent roster-building around that, it probably results in Luka staying. Two things could prevent this - 1) Siakam gets traded to someone else right now, or 2) the Mavs burn their true assets (Green, firsts, arguably DFS) on something stupid now.
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 03:45 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 1) Siakam gets traded to someone else right now, or 2) the Mavs burn their true assets (Green, firsts, arguably DFS) on something stupid now.

3) Toronto keeps Siakam as part of their core
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DominickNBA/status/1...0676421633
Like Reply
https://marcstein.substack.com/p/nba-tra...d-whispers
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 03:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/DominickNBA/status/1...0676421633

RoCo + Zubac + 2 2nds for McGee + Wood
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Kammrath, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 04:08 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: RoCo + Zubac + 2 2nds for McGee + Wood

Literally along the lines I was thinking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Reggie Jackson, Nic Batum, 2023 1st for Christian Wood, Javale Mcgee
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1621979513998671872
Like Reply