Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(06-24-2022, 12:02 PM)nash_funk Wrote: With NYK clearing cap space, we could lose Brunson without getting anything back in a S&T, right?

NYK doesn't have enough room yet, but they can get there. 

Detroit already has enough, I believe. 

I highly doubt Brunson goes to either of those places willingly. In my opinion, their offers would have to be much higher than what Dallas offers, and the only way Dallas will have a lower bid is by choice. 

I'm not worried at all.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, F Gump, nash_funk
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: NYK doesn't have enough room yet, but they can get there. 

I highly doubt Brunson goes to either of those places willingly. In my opinion, their offers would have to be much higher than what Dallas offers, and the only way Dallas will have a lower bid is by choice. 

I'm not worried at all.

As he proved against Utah, Brunson's natural position and greatest value is at starting PG.  If he's focused on bettering his career from that standpoint, I could see NYK looking appealing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nash_funk's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:08 PM)nash_funk Wrote: If he's focused on bettering his career from that standpoint, I could see NYK looking appealing.

It's possible, but I'd submit that anyone who looks at NY and thinks "yeah man, playing in that organization is going to help my career" is in store for some major regret.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, F Gump, Jmaciscool, nash_funk, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's possible, but I'd submit that anyone who looks at NY and thinks "yeah man, playing in that organization is going to help my career" is in store for some major regret.

I hear ya, but can't the same be said for every franchise desperately needing a starting PG?
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:24 PM)nash_funk Wrote: I hear ya, but can't the same be said for every franchise desperately needing a starting PG?

Yeah, that's a good point. 

How many of them have needed a starting PG 88% of the time since the 1970's though?
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:08 PM)nash_funk Wrote: As he proved against Utah, Brunson's natural position and greatest value is at starting PG.  If he's focused on bettering his career from that standpoint, I could see NYK looking appealing.

Brunson is a winner. Does he think the Knicks look like winners?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: NYK doesn't have enough room yet, but they can get there. 

I'm not worried at all.

Often it sounds like if NY or DET gets to a certain amount of cap space, then they get Brunson. (Much of the "reporting" is similar, of course.)

But I think we keep forgetting that's not how it works. It's not a bid. It's not "X amount of cap room wins JB" contest.

What makes it most absurd is that there is NO amount of cap room that NY or anyone else can possibly get that can exceed what Mavs can offer. So the incessant mantra that NY simply has to get cap room so they can have JB is absurd. Which makes the whole storyline bizarre.
Like Reply

I'm not worried at all.

Detroit is out of the Brunson sweepstakes, don't really know if they were really in it.  They took Ivey who was already deemed one of the top players in the draft. Rumors have it that they aren't even going after Ayton now since trading for Duren. They have their eyes set on Miles Bridges.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: You make it sound like if NY or DET gets to a certain amount of cap space, then they get Brunson.

No, I'm literally saying the exact opposite. Sorry if I was unclear.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Maybe the Knicks don´t want Brunson at all. Maybe it is just a godfather and a father getting their kid paid. It´s not even an effort on their part. The media does all the work for them.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, I'm literally saying the exact opposite. Sorry if I was unclear.

Yeah, I see that, and I edited my reply while you were already replying. Sorry about that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:41 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Maybe the Knicks don´t want Brunson at all. Maybe it is just a godfather and a father getting their kid paid. It´s not even an effort on their part. The media does all the work for them.

This, and I don't even think it has to be quite this cloak and dagger to make sense. 

Brunson's people making sure it appears that his mind has not been made up to ensure they get their client the best offers possible is just good, common sense business. 

Unless Cuban cheaps out, I believe he's coming back in the end.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, F Gump
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This, and I don't even think it has to be quite this cloak and dagger to make sense. 

Brunson's people making sure it appears that his mind has not been made up to ensure they get their client the best offers possible is just good, common sense business. 

Unless Cuban cheaps out, I believe he's coming back in the end.

This has always been Cuban's game to lose.
Like Reply
I think about several guys who jumped ship because they wanted to be featured in a larger role, and expected that would be the case on their new team.

Just a few:
Kyrie
Harden
Grant
KD

Typically, it's a younger player with a large ego.

I just don't see that ego in Brunson.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 01:25 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think about several guys who jumped ship because they wanted to be featured in a larger role, and expected that would be the case on their new team.

Just a few:
Kyrie
Harden
Grant
KD

Typically, it's a younger player with a large ego.

I just don't see that ego in Brunson.

Difference for all but Grant is that Brunson isn't as good as them.  Like, Brunson would be doing himself a disservice just the same if he thinks he can carry that sorry ass team.  And once those fans turn on him (half of them don't even want him), then it could kill his career.  That's a big, big risk to take.  I know players want to bet on themselves, but going to the Knicks is a difference story.  They won't take kindly to losing.
Like Reply
Why wouldn't all these NY picks hypothetically be used for Durant? And then maybe they price themselves out of Brunson.  Or maybe I'm just defeated.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1...6575459328
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 08:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1...6575459328

Well, at least there's some good news today.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, hakeemfaan, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 08:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, at least there's some good news today.

I assume the Lakers are the only team that might be willing to give him an extension. LeBron has proven before that he can handle Irving.

Everybody else probably wants him as an expiring contract and dump $36M in bad salary on the Nets. I´d have no problem to take opted-in Irving for Dinwiddie/THJ straight-up. That´s also the kind of con artist move Cuban would pull, if the Brunson mess ends with him leaving. Only I am concerned Cuban would throw in two 1st round picks and a three year max extension for Irving. Confused
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
Can we agree to stay away from lunatics and drama queens. I will never mention Ben Simmons again. In return I don´t want to see another mention of Irving, Isaac and co.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply