Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(10-05-2022, 08:02 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Miles Bridges Becomes Restricted Free Agent After Allowing $7.9 Million Qualifying Expire (msn.com)
Man that is a lot of talent to black list. But it is for really good reason. About 5 years ago he would have been resigned. Global warming is real in the changes throughout society!
Like Reply
Way too much money at stake for this to go down this way for Miles. If he gets just marginally competent counsel, he’ll settle with the aggrieved, their testimony will get massaged around the edges, the prosecutor will come down on the plea offer, and a very public apology will get big-time press coverage. 

Dude is gonna need a lesson in how to apologize. But come on now. Domestic violence? That wife is shooting herself and her kids in the foot by killing his future-wage-earning prospects. A deal is gonna get done.
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 10:20 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Way too much money at stake for this to go down this way for Miles. If he gets just marginally competent counsel, he’ll settle with the aggrieved, their testimony will get massaged around the edges, the prosecutor will come down on the plea offer, and a very public apology will get big-time press coverage. 

Dude is gonna need a lesson in how to apologize. But come on now. Domestic violence? That wife is shooting herself and her kids in the foot by killing his future-wage-earning prospects. A deal is gonna get done.

Well she killed his $80-120M payday on the eve of free agency. Doesn´t seem she cares about money that much or she´d have shut her mouth right there and walked away with half.
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well she killed his $80-120M payday on the eve of free agency. Doesn´t seem she cares about money that much or she´d have shut her mouth right there and walked away with half.
The nerve, right? Imagine getting beat up and not saying anything about it cause you will get more money.
[-] The following 4 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • DallasMaverick, HoosierDaddyKid, Not an evil robot, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 12:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The nerve, right? Imagine getting beat up and not saying anything about it cause you will get more money.

I already said plenty of times that I have the utmost respect for her, cause most people would not have walked away from that kind of life-altering money. Just pointing out to Jommybone that the time to shut up was five months ago, if that was her motivation.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well she killed his $80-120M payday on the eve of free agency. Doesn´t seem she cares about money that much or she´d have shut her mouth right there and walked away with half.

F-ck the money.  Think what effect beating up their Mother in front of their kids may have possibly done, in the long term.?  It should be about those kids.
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 12:21 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I already said plenty of times that I have the utmost respect for her, cause most people would not have walked away from that kind of life-altering money. Just pointing out to Jommybone that the time to shut up was five months ago, if that was her motivation.
Yes, I’m sorry, I realize that because I copied you and the way I replied it was me talking to you as opposed to with you. My intent was to add to your thoughts.
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 08:02 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Miles Bridges Becomes Restricted Free Agent After Allowing $7.9 Million Qualifying Expire (msn.com)

This is a weird choice by Bridges, frankly. It feels like really bad agenting, although his legal troubles might make all of this moot.

Up to Oct 1, he could have signed QO that commits him for only one year, and then get paid this year while resolving his legal issues (if that's doable). Then next summer he would be a UFA.

With this choice, he has no contract offer this year unless some other team wants to make one, which would likely be at a very reduced rate, will tie him up for a minimum of two years (at that low rate), and which can be matched by CHA if they wish. More likely, he gets no offer, CHA doesn't make one either, he sits the year, then is RFA again on July 1.
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 02:46 PM)F Gump Wrote: This is a weird choice by Bridges, frankly. It feels like really bad agenting, although his legal troubles might make all of this moot.

Up to Oct 1, he could have signed QO that commits him for only one year, and then get paid this year while resolving his legal issues (if that's doable). Then next summer he would be a UFA.

With this choice, he has no contract offer this year unless some other team wants to make one, which would likely be at a very reduced rate, will tie him up for a minimum of two years (at that low rate), and which can be matched by CHA if they wish. More likely, he gets no offer, CHA doesn't make one either, he sits the year, then is RFA again on July 1.

Another angle. With this choice, he emphatically tells his ex’s lawyers there’s no more NBA money for you unless and until you make the criminal stuff go away. Which isn’t really up to them. But for all practical purposes is.
Like Reply
(10-05-2022, 02:46 PM)F Gump Wrote: More likely, he gets no offer, CHA doesn't make one either, he sits the year, then is RFA again on July 1.

The problem with this approach is that he is also going to face a hefty suspension from the league  If I were him, I'd want to be on a roster so I can start that punishment.  Not sure which team would be willing to take the PR hit.
Like Reply
(10-06-2022, 12:09 AM)cow Wrote: The problem with this approach is that he is also going to face a hefty suspension from the league  If I were him, I'd want to be on a roster so I can start that punishment.  Not sure which team would be willing to take the PR hit.

CHA "offered" to be that team -- ie, they had a one-year guaranteed deal on the table (the QO) which he declined to sign, until it was voided. There were so many pluses to taking that offer, that all went bye-bye when he didn't.
Like Reply
(10-06-2022, 02:47 AM)F Gump Wrote: CHA "offered" to be that team -- ie, they had a one-year guaranteed deal on the table (the QO) which he declined to sign, until it was voided. There were so many pluses to taking that offer, that all went bye-bye when he didn't.

Well I´m not well versed in American law, but if he signs the divorce papers before his contract extension, what is her cut? His rookie contract earned him $4M a year, so say her cut is 50%, she gets $2M/ p.a. If he signed a conservative 40/4 deal, now she´s entitled to $5M p.a. He signed 80/4, it rises to $10M p.a. That could be plenty of motivation to get the divorce first and then sign a bigger contract.
Like Reply
(10-06-2022, 02:47 AM)F Gump Wrote: CHA "offered" to be that team -- ie, they had a one-year guaranteed deal on the table (the QO) which he declined to sign, until it was voided. There were so many pluses to taking that offer, that all went bye-bye when he didn't.

Conceptually I was talking about who outside of Charlotte.  I really think they were best suited for that PR hit and could help absorb the blow because he is one of their own.  I'm honestly wondering if he'll ever play in the NBA again.  If the allegations are true, this is worse than most domestic violence situations we've heard about in professional sports (Hardy, Rice).  The statistics on domestic abuse involving strangulation leading the eventual death of the partner are sobering.
Like Reply
Can we find a way to get Wendell Carter Jr and Isaiah Stewart on this team then be done with any other significant "big" search? Those are the 2 new and upgraded Powell and Maxi!
Like Reply
Trade that can happen right now:

Chi gets: Dinwiddie, DFS, our 27 and 29 seconds

Cha gets: Ball, THJ, Powell, Green, our 27 and 29 firsts unprotected 

Dal gets: Hayward, Rozier, PJ Wash and Pat Will

Luka/Hayward/Pat Will/PJ Wash/McGee (until Wood takes over)
Rozier/Bullock/Maxi/Wood (until he starts then flip him and McGee)

9 man playoff rotation with Frank/Campazzo/Hardy/Bertans/Pinson/Dorsey as deep bench/injury replacements. Have that extra roster spot til Dorsey shows he’s worth it or injury necessitates it be filled (the fgump plan).

Go into the offseason with 1 out of the 24 or 25 to use with Bertans expiring (or Hayward or Rozier or some combo of all 3) to upgrade the roster further.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 09:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Trade that can happen right now:

9 man playoff rotation with Frank/Campazzo/Hardy/Bertans/Pinson/Dorsey as deep bench/injury replacements. Have that extra roster spot til Dorsey shows he’s worth it or injury necessitates it be filled (the fgump plan).

Go into the offseason with 1 out of the 24 or 25 to use with Bertans expiring (or Hayward or Rozier or some combo of all 3) to upgrade the roster further.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Bertans also isn't expiring.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 09:47 PM)cow Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Bertans also isn't expiring.
He will essentially be in the offseason when we would have the extra pick to trade ($5M is tiddly winks compared to the contract).  Could be easily waived or bought out since he would know he’s not getting any playing time due to the stipulation that he plays less next year. I’m sure he would agree to less than guaranteed contract value too.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 09:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He will essentially be in the offseason when we would have the extra pick to trade ($5M is tiddly winks compared to the contract).  Could be easily waived or bought out since he would know he’s not getting any playing time due to the stipulation that he plays less next year. I’m sure he would agree to less than guaranteed contract value too.

The 27 and 29 unprotected firsts are far more egregious.   If the idea is to remake this team right now, we should be sellers, not buyers.  If you want to build this team up, all we need is a little patience.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 10:11 PM)cow Wrote: The 27 and 29 unprotected firsts are far more egregious.   If the idea is to remake this team right now, we should be sellers, not buyers.  If you want to build this team up, all we need is a little patience.
So, I’ve preached that as well. I think this trade gets us where we want to go though. Having a starting lineup with 4 guys who are 6’7” that can all play switchable defense would be following the LAC plan. It gets us younger too. Patience does get us an extra first to utilize in trade (I do wonder if they will trade the 2030 when it comes available, but if they aren’t willing to do that then, they won’t be willing to do it now, I guess). If they were to do this trade, would you be upset with it?
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 09:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Trade that can happen right now:

Are you sure that roster makes the playoffs? Hayward doesn't last a few games. Pat Will looks like a desaster after 5 games. Chi already limiting his minutes to McGee level. Only Washington is fine. But losing SD/DFS.

Why the Mavs are giving up picks? Chi gets rid of their bust drafted #4, who doesn't look much better than Josh Green. Adding Ball who has the Chandler Parsons trajectory. And getting SD/DFS on top.

yuck
[-] The following 3 users Like sefant's post:
  • F Gump, Mavs2021, SleepingHero
Like Reply