Poll: Who will win the series?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DAL (4-0)
2.13%
1 2.13%
DAL (4-1)
8.51%
4 8.51%
DAL (4-2)
65.96%
31 65.96%
DAL (4-3)
12.77%
6 12.77%
GSW (4-3)
0%
0 0%
GSW (4-2)
6.38%
3 6.38%
GSW (4-1)
4.26%
2 4.26%
GSW (4-0)
0%
0 0%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYOFFS WCF: #3 GSW (4-1) vs #4 DAL (1-4)
(05-18-2022, 12:37 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: ESPN writers don't give them or the Heat much of a chance...

ESPN writers were unanimous that Phoenix would take that series. As far as I can tell, most writers have a prediction hit rate no better than the average fan.
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 10:24 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2022/5...uka-doncic

Nice in depth series preview. Interesting the highlighted Mavs defensive breakdowns featured guys like Chriss and Bertans. Note the Bertans play had nothing to do with lack of lateral movement of any other typical Bertans knock. It was mental. He just didn't switch correctly. I thought he did a much better job defensively against the Suns and hope he may be catching on to the Mavs defensive system. Bertans has length to bother guys if he makes the right defensive reads. You don't have to be a gifted one-on-one defender to succeed against a motion offense, but you need to be smart. 

As a side note, BBIQ is a vastly underrated skill in the Roster thread. We like to talk about swapping out a Stanford guy like Powell for a young guy like Jalen Smith or PJ Washington without the slightest consideration for whether or not they can execute Kidd's defensive game plan. Powell has limitations to be sure but he's WAY underrated for his intelligence in reading angles and executing at a high level both offensively and defensively.

While I agree on BBIQ being an important component, it has not really made Powell very effective in the playoffs.  Maybe it will be different in this next series.

Regardless of that though, currently the only guys on the roster worthy of rotation minutes at center are a 31 year old post achillis starter getting 22 minutes a game, and a 30 year old oft injured backup who wears down when getting significant minutes.  There is a strong argument for adding young depth to that group, especially since Maxi can spin down to the 4 spot when needed.
Like Reply
DAL 
THJ out

GSW
Igoudala out
Weissman out
G Payton III out
O Porter Jr. probable

At least DAL is a little bit healthier starting the series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Fuerza1
Like Reply
To me, this is the NBA Finals. I went Mavs in 6 over Jazz first round; happily and incorrectly picked Suns in 7 last round. Now, I got Mavs in 6 over the dynasty Warriors. 

Jason Kidd famously said it was Destiny vs Dynasty during his Nets NBA Finals match-up vs Lakers; I am getting a familiar vibe, except hopefully Mavs are on the right side of history. Revenge for Dirk and '07 squad!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fuerza1's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 05:02 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: To me, this is the NBA Finals. I went Mavs in 6 over Jazz first round; happily and incorrectly picked Suns in 7 last round. Now, I got Mavs in 6 over the dynasty Warriors. 

Jason Kidd famously said it was Destiny vs Dynasty during his Nets NBA Finals match-up vs Lakers; I am getting a familiar vibe, except hopefully Mavs are on the right side of history. Revenge for Dirk and '07 squad!

Are GSW a dynasty with 3 championships? Thought you needed more than that. But obviously they did dominate and still might.
Like Reply
Luka was absolutely dominated by Wiggins. Wiggins is stronger and longer than anyone PHX threw at him.
Like Reply
Mavs and Celtics/Heat in trouble. I don't think any of these teams can stop the Warriors in a 7-game series
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 10:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka was absolutely dominated by Wiggins. Wiggins is stronger and longer than anyone PHX threw at him.

Warriors played it smart. They gave Luka a lane and directed him into the help defender. Allowing Wiggins to play close and contest the step back. Help defense shadowing the play and taking away the rim. At times it almost looked like a zone.
If the Mavs cannot punish the Warriors from three they will continue to pressure Luka. Reminds me of LBJ in 2015.
Desperately need shooting from DFS, Maxi and Bullock. And of course Luka can also play a lot better.

I think the most interesting coaching move so far is the Green/Brunson matchup. Kerr identified something many of us have pointed out in the past. Brunson isn´t a willing spot up shooter. Allowing Green to play free safety.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...4415607809
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...8478129155
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 10:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Warriors played it smart. They gave Luka a lane and directed him into the help defender. Allowing Wiggins to play close and contest the step back. Help defense shadowing the play and taking away the rim. At times it almost looked like a zone.
If the Mavs cannot punish the Warriors from three they will continue to pressure Luka. Reminds me of LBJ in 2015.
Desperately need shooting from DFS, Maxi and Bullock. And of course Luka can also play a lot better.

I think the most interesting coaching move so far is the Green/Brunson matchup. Kerr identified something many of us have pointed out in the past. Brunson isn´t a willing spot up shooter. Allowing Green to play free safety.

Brunson is going to have to pull the trigger.  He was 40% on catch and shoot this season, and 42 on wide open looks.  He has to take and make those shots.  Its one of the most important aspects of playing with Luka.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BoredAssistant, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
Warriors aren’t going to let Luka post and/or seek out the switch he wants.  They played outstanding defense and the Mavs couldn’t convert the open looks they did get.  

Just one game and Kidd has shown he can make adjustments.  But that was a master class from the Warriors tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
I took the Mavs in six. Sticking with it. The Suns are a much better team than the Warriors, so I feel this was just one of those games. Luka has to play a lot better though, and the Mavs coaching staff need to get him into more favorable matchups.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I’m cutting out the Bertans minutes if I can. He’s missed his last 8 shots and is just too much of a target on defense.

Golden State basically had a 7-man rotation tonight (all scored double figures too).
Like Reply
Just as in Utah and Suns series, no panic. The game changed due to open shots not falling. Mavs should have been upfront in 1st quarter in most cases with these looks. If they did, its a different game. That being said, we need to find an offensive counter for when this happens, and that we didnt had today. Offensive scheme should change to adapt to this. Id start the next game in similar ways, but be prepared to change more to mid range game and attacking the rim more in next game if the open 3s are not going in.
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 11:45 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I’m cutting out the Bertans minutes if I can. He’s missed his last 8 shots and is just too much of a target on defense.

Golden State basically had a 7-man rotation tonight (all scored double figures too).

Maxi needs to stay out of foul trouble then.  I'm surprised we've gotten away with playing Bertans as many minutes as we have in the playoffs thus far.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
Anxiously waiting for more posts about how the series is over.

I didn't see much of the game but the part I did see it looked like Dallas played with the intensity of a midseason game and GSW played like it was the WCFs. Maybe we have to go down 2-0 before waking up to play again? Let's see.
Like Reply
I still say Mavs in 7
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(05-19-2022, 12:35 AM)windjc Wrote: Anxiously waiting for most posts about how the series is over.

I didn't see much of the game but the part I did see it looked like Dallas played with the intensity of a midseason game and GSW played like it was the WCFs. Maybe we have to go down 2-0 before waking up to play again? Let's see.

Well, I can tell you this much. If the season doesn’t end with this series, it definitely will with the next series!! Warriors in 4.

#MFFL
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 10:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka was absolutely dominated by Wiggins. Wiggins is stronger and longer than anyone PHX threw at him.

Can't agree with you here. Luka was 4-8 from the field (3-6 from 3) when guarded by Wiggins and had converted an and-1. Luka missed a LOT of what the NBA classifies as wide-open shots and in my opinion the refs let Wiggins get away with very physical D that never got called. I did think Luka looked a step slow, yet still managed to get 18 in a half. 

Not concerned at all with him being able to score. More concerned about how stagnant the offense looked and how none of the actions the Mavs ran let them get any paint penetration.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Arioch, burekemde, DallasMaverick, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply