Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was right, Kamm was wrong (ab Gobert)
(05-03-2022, 04:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: He had a rough series, but still scored 12 points a game on nearly 70% TS with 3.6 offensive boards.  He has been better in prior playoff series.  The best advanced boxscore stats say he was still significantly better than average offensively in that series.  Our base of comparison averaged 4 points and 1 offensive rebound.  

I don't know what it means to be a "good offensive player" but his offensive impact on the court is surprisingly high and significantly more than any center we currently have on the roster.  I know the reason you get Gobert is for his defense, but the reality is that we will be better offensively as well when he is on the court.

It's an eye test thing but the point is we treated him like the 5th option on offense when he was on the court and he didn't make us pay for it. Sometimes we'd guard him one on one in the paint with someone who wasn't even a big. Utah had one of the deadliest perimeter attacks in the league so we dared them to give Rudy the ball and focused on shutting down the Utah perimeter game and it worked. 12 points, counting some of the times we intentionally fouled him, is pretty pitiful for the way we guarded him. Considering our lack of size the 3.6 offensive rebounds was even disappointing, he looked more sure of himself rebounding on the defensive end and missed several chances for extra offensive rebounds. The high percentage is because with Rudy if it's not just a simple dunk then he's probably not even going to do anything with it if not fouled, he just wasn't adding much offensive value and was a big part of the reason Utah's offense stalled against us
[-] The following 2 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • omahen, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I was right, Kamm was wrong (ab Gobert) - by MrGoat - 05-03-2022, 07:17 PM