Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubes! All Owner Things | Cuban fined $500K by NBA for Ref comments
https://youtu.be/fMNUfgHohZE
Like Reply
Do you think he’ll keep doing his deals on Shark Tank where he makes them a deal but tells them he won’t wait for them to talk to the others? He learned that from Phoenix and the Steve Nash deal.
Like Reply
This thread could be really cool if we can keep enough content in here!
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/4tuqyD4vmkg
Like Reply
Seems like he'd taken a step back from meddling in roster decisions the past several years. 
Hopefully he keeps that up. Let Rick and Donnie shape the roster they want
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/kbEOJLiIjUM
Some Mavs stuff in there too.
Like Reply
Wow Mark, nice humble Greek Freak explanation! Nice

Good video!
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/lssvl3CjLaE
Like Reply
(11-26-2019, 12:37 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: https://youtu.be/4tuqyD4vmkg

The most interesting thing I took from this interview was when Cuban mentioned that Dirk and Luka still talk all the time. 

Had to wipe away the tears of joy from hearing that.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Cuban is a terrible owner. He inherited Dirk. He has drafted exactly 1 great player - Luka. He has never got a FA game changer. He failed to resign players that would have give Dallas more championship chances. He's been pretty cheap and pretty cheesy overall. He did hire a good coach in Carlisle. At first I liked his fan-like energy but overall, terrible owner.
Like Reply
Watching him jaw at the refs today I thought, well, he's not making it any easier on his team. Does any other owner in sports talk at the refs like that during the game?
Like Reply
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/maveri...-and-more/
Like Reply
Like Reply
Cuban goes on a rant and mentions his alltime record for fines and how officiating has sucked over the years.
Two days later the Mavs cannot get a call to save their lifes. Timberwolves clobber the Mavs (especially Luka and Dwight) without any foul calls and get 17FTs in the second quarter.
Was last game another case of refs punishing the Mavs because Cuban called them out?
Like Reply
Anyone who says Cuban is a terrible owner ... I just look at those people and think they must be really young or really fortunate to never follow a really bad franchise, because there are a lot awful owners in sports and Cuban isn't one of them. Be thankful you've never had to experience a truly awful one.

And people can say "He doesn't get credit for Dirk, he inherited Dirk!!" Well, guess what new owners do 99 times out of 100? They immediately come in and flush out the existing GM and head coach they didn't hire, and then bring in "their guys" to "shake things up" who immediately flush out the existing roster they didn't draft or acquire. This isn't some worst case scenerio, this happens all the time .... it happened to the Mavs when Perot Jr bought the team and hired Nellie who immiedately came in and shipped Kidd to Phoenix and broke up the three Js. Cuban could have easily came in and hired Jim Cleamons or Quinn Buckner 2.0 ,who isn't going to have any time for a big white 19 year old jump shooting 7 foot Euro averaging 8 points per game as a rookie. So yeah, Cuban can take some credit for Dirk.
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 12:06 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Anyone who says Cuban is a terrible owner ... I just look at those people and think they must be really young or really fortunate to never follow a really bad franchise, because there are a lot awful owners in sports and Cuban isn't one of them.    Be thankful you've never had to experience a truly awful one. 

And people can say "He doesn't get credit for Dirk, he inherited Dirk!!"  Well, guess what new owners do 99 times out of 100?    They immediately come in and flush out the existing GM and head coach they didn't hire, and then bring in "their guys" to "shake things up" who immediately flush out the existing roster they didn't draft or acquire.      This isn't some worst case scenerio, this happens all the time .... it happened to the Mavs when Perot Jr bought the team and  hired Nellie who immiedately came in and shipped Kidd to Phoenix and broke up the three Js.  Cuban could have easily came in and hired Jim Cleamons or Quinn Buckner 2.0 ,who isn't going to have any time for a big white 19 year old jump shooting 7 foot Euro averaging 8 points per game as a rookie.  So yeah, Cuban can take some credit for Dirk.
I didn't say he was the worst owner. Or even the second worst. But he's been pretty terrible. Over involved. Poor decisions when involved. Attention whore. A plus negative in recruiting, due to his lack of charisma. In general, at least bad. But I say terrible.
Like Reply
(12-06-2019, 01:56 AM)windjc Wrote: I didn't say he was the worst owner. Or even the second worst. But he's been pretty terrible. Over involved. Poor decisions when involved. Attention whore. A plus negative in recruiting, due to his lack of charisma. In general, at least bad. But I say terrible.

With as much respect as I can say this?....

You're just wrong. 

I constantly hear these complaints and yes I sometimes wish he would shut his yapper.... I don't agree with all of his politics... but none of that matters in the +/- scale of looking at who he is for us as an owner. 

We owe so much love and respect to Cuban, and if you don't see that, then I just have to say you have a weird personal bias that isn't rooted in logic when it comes to the general consensus in the league and who respects him. He rubs some people wrong... that is true...

but overall? he has a great amount of respect for some of the things he has done in this league, and without him, the league would be a lot different. He changed how players are pampered and taken care of more by league owners with various perks, and even if he still rubs some guys wrong, other players and coaches and media alum respect him for that, and they see how well he treats Carlisle, Donnie, and Dirk. The loyalty is key. 

He may not always make the best decisions, and I am not saying he isn't without fault... but he deserves our respect... and I would be willing to bet YOU and everyone who attacks him? would be sad to see him go, because if he ever sells this team? I would be willing to bet we would be in a worse position as a fanbase.
Like Reply
Frankly, I don't give a crap about an owner being an "attention whore" or their politics. All I judge from an owner is their ability to put a competitive product on the market for me as a consumer to enjoy. Cuban has put winning teams on the floor 15 out of 19 years, with 1 year of excactly .500. Playoff appearances in 15 out of 19 seasons. And now as we enter the Luka era it looks we're going to enter another 7 year consecutive stretch of winning seasons and playoff appearances, at bare minimum. Let's start counting up the franchises who can compare during the same time period, and you're going to be counting on one hand with fingers to spare.

And now here's the part where you say Cuban has nothing at all to do with that success, and 100% responsible for any failures.
Like Reply
(12-06-2019, 09:10 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Frankly, I don't give a crap about an owner being an "attention whore" or their politics.  All I judge from an owner is their ability to put a competitive product on the market for me as a consumer to enjoy.    Cuban has put winning teams on the floor 15 out of 19 years, with 1 year of excactly .500.    Playoff appearances in 15 out of 19 seasons.    And now as we enter the Luka era it looks we're going to enter another 7 year consecutive stretch of winning seasons and playoff appearances, at bare minimum.      Let's start counting up the franchises who can compare during the same time period, and you're going to be counting on one hand with fingers to spare. 

And now here's the part where you say Cuban has nothing at all to do with that success, and 100% responsible for any failures.
One thing Cuban has done above average is delegate well. Over the long haul he has shown loyalty to coaches that he put or kept in that position. But he has not truly empowered his staff. Because, its when he's gotten involved in the decision making that he has been a problem and a detriment. I dont care about his blabbering either, but I think his personality didn't invite a lot of elite FAs to want to play for his team. 

If Cuban would have let his staff make decisions we would have among other things:
1. Kept Nash and maybe won a championship prior to 2011.
2. Kept Chandler and maybe have won a championship after 2011.
3. Drafted Giannis.
4. Sold the farm and done whatever necessary to draft Luka anyway.

He got 1 out of 4 correct trying to dictate decisions himself.
Like Reply
(12-06-2019, 11:38 PM)windjc Wrote: I dont care about his blabbering either, but I think his personality didn't invite a lot of elite FAs to want to play for his team.

When I hear players talk about Dallas and Cuban in the media, they usually seem to speak well of him and praise him as a players friendly owner.

(12-06-2019, 11:38 PM)windjc Wrote: If Cuban would have let his staff make decisions we would have among other things:
1. Kept Nash and maybe won a championship prior to 2011.
2. Kept Chandler and maybe have won a championship after 2011.
3. Drafted Giannis.
4. Sold the farm and done whatever necessary to draft Luka anyway.

He got 1 out of 4 correct trying to dictate decisions himself.

Who knows, whether 1-3 really would have really played out the way you put here. And who knows what other decisions we not even know about would have gone south? Maybe Gersson Rosas would have traded Dirk.

Everyone who makes decisions and takes responsibility loads some bad ones onto his shoulders.
Like Reply