Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 13.5 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
85.00%
17 85.00%
Warriors
15.00%
3 15.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 14: GSW (3-13) @ DAL (9-5) | 142-94 win
(11-20-2019, 10:27 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: If you watch him as a 16/17 year old he literally plays exactly the same.

If anything Rick didn't hinder his development which is an accomplishment in itself, he stepped out of his way.
And the frontoffice cleared the path for him by trading all the egos who stood in his way as well.

Everyone still on the team isn't  staying in his way anymore.

Luka was a veteran and professional player as a rookie, of course Rick likes him. He also likes seasoned rookies.

He is a special person, not everyone fits with him, but it would be very weird to say he developed Luka.

He likes a certain type of personality and work ethic in his players, a level of maturity.

Luka is a unique mix of boy/youth/child and old man player.

I give Rick credit for enabling, but not for developing him.

"Special players like this need to be trusted," Carlisle says.

That's what Rick deserves a lot of credit for in my opinion.

Luka is better than he was last season. He is developing. 

I'm not trying to argue the Rick is responsible for what Luka is. If you don't like the word "develop" as applied to Luka, that's fine. Or if you want to say that Luka is primarily responsible for his own development, I won't argue against that. 

The discussion about whether Rick can develop young players is an old one around here. If folks want to engage in that discussion then I think the Mavs' approach to undrafted players and second rounders over the last few years, what Rick has done with those players, and the fact that many of those players are currently contributing to a winning record with the Mavs is a powerful argument. But I'm fine with including Rick's work with Luka as well. Rick doesn't just tell Luka to do whatever he wants. He still coaches Luka.
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 11:51 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 10:27 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: If you watch him as a 16/17 year old he literally plays exactly the same.

If anything Rick didn't hinder his development which is an accomplishment in itself, he stepped out of his way.
And the frontoffice cleared the path for him by trading all the egos who stood in his way as well.

Everyone still on the team isn't  staying in his way anymore.

Luka was a veteran and professional player as a rookie, of course Rick likes him. He also likes seasoned rookies.

He is a special person, not everyone fits with him, but it would be very weird to say he developed Luka.

He likes a certain type of personality and work ethic in his players, a level of maturity.

Luka is a unique mix of boy/youth/child and old man player.

I give Rick credit for enabling, but not for developing him.

"Special players like this need to be trusted," Carlisle says.

That's what Rick deserves a lot of credit for in my opinion.

Luka is better than he was last season. He is developing. 

I'm not trying to argue the Rick is responsible for what Luka is. If you don't like the word "develop" as applied to Luka, that's fine. Or if you want to say that Luka is primarily responsible for his own development, I won't argue against that. 

The discussion about whether Rick can develop young players is an old one around here. If folks want to engage in that discussion then I think the Mavs' approach to undrafted players and second rounders over the last few years, what Rick has done with those players, and the fact that many of those players are currently contributing to a winning record with the Mavs is a powerful argument. But I'm fine with including Rick's work with Luka as well. Rick doesn't just tell Luka to do whatever he wants. He still coaches Luka.

Yep I like the word "enabling" way more. Rick stepped out of his way and lets him fly. That is a very good coaching job. We can call that development if you like, but it isn't as if Luka was raw needing to be developed. His skillset was already there at age 16, maybe even earlier.

So I recognize that Rick does a great job with Luka.

"Rick knows this kid is the future of that organization. He can't get in the way of that."

Former Mavs director of player development Mike Procopio

Guys like Doncic, Bird, Jason Kidd, Magic Johnson -- sometimes they get bored and they want to get into a creative state and do some things to kind of break up the monotony," Carlisle said. "But the important thing is to understand that there's a time and place for everything. The most important thing is not to compromise your opportunity to win."
Like Reply
Mavs need to get over this national game curse and blow these guys out.
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 04:58 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 09:50 PM)Jym Wrote: So is the "Rick can't develop young players" narrative finally dead yet? 
So glad we kept him around

Rick didn't develop Luka if it is that what you mean.

https://out.reddit.com/t3_dyvrws?url=htt...om%2Fhcwgf&token=AQAApSDVXaugx2UzrAzaZdfmfxzpQwsVAx1HYvi6aSOxkf2QkK46&app_name=mweb2x

No Draymond tonight

Yes, I was going to say, Luka came out of Europe already knowing how to play like this.  RC's challenge is to get the rest of the team to best take advantage of it.

(11-19-2019, 11:49 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Fantastic news for us they beat the Grizzlies. They're already in full tank mode and won't be in a rush to get another win for a few more games now that they've snapped their losing streak. We can probably play like crap and Kerr will go out of his way to try to gift us this one anyway. Just need to take care of business and put them down without needing their help putting themselves down

IMO, Kerr is a quite arrogant dude and in no way wants to lose to the Mavs.
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 12:24 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 09:50 PM)Jym Wrote: So is the "Rick can't develop young players" narrative finally dead yet? 

https://out.reddit.com/t3_dyvrws?url=htt...om%2Fhcwgf&token=AQAApSDVXaugx2UzrAzaZdfmfxzpQwsVAx1HYvi6aSOxkf2QkK46&app_name=mweb2x

No Draymond tonight

Yes, I was going to say, Luka came out of Europe already knowing how to play like this.  RC's challenge is to get the rest of the team to best take advantage of it.

(11-19-2019, 11:49 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Fantastic news for us they beat the Grizzlies. They're already in full tank mode and won't be in a rush to get another win for a few more games now that they've snapped their losing streak. We can probably play like crap and Kerr will go out of his way to try to gift us this one anyway. Just need to take care of business and put them down without needing their help putting themselves down

IMO, Kerr is a quite arrogant dude and in no way wants to lose to the Mavs.

Mavs have probably a target on their back, its name is Luka Doncic, whole league wants to crush the up and comer.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...4347387904
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 03:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...4347387904

Hopefully he gets well soon, it's great though. Carlisle can finally tinker again with an excuse. A chance  to start THjr although I think it will be Brunson
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...6288774144
Like Reply
He probably just didn't want to torch his bro's team tonight.
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 03:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...6288774144

That's fine with me.  I like the way Brunson is aggressive and gets into the lane, makes things happen.
Like Reply
Keys:
  • GSW on tank trail: After dominating the league for the last five years, the Warriors find themselves in an unexpected tanking season. Their success has taken a toll and they operate with a slim roster after a plethora of injuries to their stars. On the bright side: They might very well win the lottery and then you're looking at a scary reboot next year. This season however their should not present any challenges to the Mavs on a normal night. But we also lost to the Knicks twice. So you never know.
  • Scary history: A shorthanded Warriors team always rings my alarm bells. In 2006, Golden State visited the AAC shorthanded and beat us with Baron Davis playing the full 48. Three years later, they even topped that. The 5-8 Dubs shocked the AAC with had only six (!!!) healthy bodies in an improbable win against the 10-4 Mavs. It's a game I'll never forget. So consider this a warning.
  • Be ready for point Draymond: With the Warriors running out of healthy bodies, Green actually plays some point for them. Last game against the Grizz he posted a very Rondo-like 8/10/11. Without the other stars he's still a shell of himself, posting the lowest shooting numbers since his rookie season.
  • Score against one of the NBA's worst defenses: Golden State play no defense at all. The Mavs should have a field day on the offensive end and put up points comfortably.
  • Who's going to hit a three in Seth's absence? Three point shooting hasn't exactly been a strength of the Mavs and now they'll have to replace Seth as well, at least short-term. Who is going to start and more importantly, fill the scoring and shooting void?
  • Continue the strong team play: During the last two games the Mavs assist rate noticeably went up. It wasn't just Luka doing his usual stuff, but everyone being more active on offense and trying to make plays.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 04:04 PM)j0Shi Wrote: Who's going to hit a three in Seth's absence? 

First J.Jacks start?
Like Reply
Hopefully we see some Justin Jackson tonight.
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 09:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 09:54 AM)bartlettbear Wrote:

No Draymond tonight

Yes wht player is RC developing Brunson and Jackson are losing minutes to Hardaway so I am nost sure he is doing a great job there.

Rick as done a very good job with DFS but he as more bad games then good, but that is because he is forced into a role he is really not suited for.

THJ played 20+ minutes in the first 11 games. Only 19 against Toronto. Only 14 against San Antonio. Can only hope that the trend continues.

Yes, please, please, please.

(11-20-2019, 04:34 PM)iolide Wrote: Hopefully we see some Justin Jackson tonight.

Absolutely.

I rarely agree with BartlettBear, but he's on point with his take that Carlisle's damning underuse of Brunson and Justin - who, if absolutely nothing else, are our strongest positive trade assets - is dumb as dirt, and needs to end soon, very soon.
Like Reply
This game has a strong feel of a trap game. 

Warriors are a bunch of D-Leaguers right now and they're on the 2nd night of a back to back. Basically means the Mavs are going to underestimate them and ensure a close one.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Will probably be the last game I can see at night time for a long time.
Like Reply
Time to unleash the accountant!!!
Bro show incoming Smile

Pretty sure Memphis thought they had an easy game coming yesterday, so Dallas needs to be focused early and get off to a good start for once.
GSW play pretty big with Curry and Russell out, Burke is their smallest starter.
I would go with

Wright
Luka
DFS
Maxi
KP

4 great defensive players to keep GSW scoring low and hopefully the offence can have a decent start for once.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...0158892033

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1197284736214978561

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1197281779037720577
Like Reply
I have not heard the Matador this year from any media folks.  I'm guessing that died, thankfully.

(11-20-2019, 05:02 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This game has a strong feel of a trap game. 

Warriors are a bunch of D-Leaguers right now and they're on the 2nd night of a back to back. Basically means the Mavs are going to underestimate them and ensure a close one.

If the Mavs hit their threes at 35%, it won't be close.  If they shoot like they do against the Knicks...
Like Reply
If the Mavs would have hit their threes they are in fact 13:0
Like Reply