Poll: Who will win the series?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DAL (4-0)
0%
0 0%
DAL (4-1)
7.32%
3 7.32%
DAL (4-2)
39.02%
16 39.02%
DAL (4-3)
29.27%
12 29.27%
UTA (4-3)
2.44%
1 2.44%
UTA (4-2)
12.20%
5 12.20%
UTA (4-1)
2.44%
1 2.44%
UTA (4-0)
7.32%
3 7.32%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (4-2) vs #5 UTA (2-4) |
(04-22-2022, 09:40 AM)Kammrath Wrote: THIS. THIS. THIS.

I feel like we have a large enough sample size though to understand why they don't pass to him.  Yes they aren't great lob passers but Rudy has some frying pans for hands.  The Jazz locked on guy noted that the Mavs actually got more open threes in transition in game 2 off failed alley oops than they did off corner threes from Rudy's defensive rotations.  I think he'd be great here but there is no way in hell I'm dedicating a max slot to a guy who can't catch lobs, can't post up and can't stay on the floor in playoff games (I realize the last part is a lot because of the perimeter defense but still....we're talking about 40 mil 3 seasons from now....).
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • michaeltex, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
We are a better team minus KP and plus Dinwiddie.

Aside from Luka we are a better team than last year because DFS is playing better defense and offense. He has improved. Brunson is playing better defense and offense. He has improved. Green is playing better defense and offense. He has improved. Bullock is on the team. Powell is healthier. 

All these things have improved our team. 

Yes Hardaway is injured. But the guys who are taking his minutes are as a group significantly better. 

Guys, Dallas was tied for the BEST record in the league after the ASB. The pace was a 61 win season. Why are some here acting like we are not contenders?
[-] The following 7 users Like windjc's post:
  • F Gump, MFFL, michaeltex, ReunionMav, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, Tyler
Like Reply
I know a lot of posters were against Bertans but he feels a really big need for this team and seems to be finding his comfort zone. 

His need from what I can see goes beyond just being a shooter. 

Having another guy that is not afraid of the moment and a vet off the bench was much needed for this team. 

I know he has not been discussed but he has been really good during this series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega_Supreme's post:
  • TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...8061734912
Like Reply
Reggie Bullock might be the biggest indicator of if the Mavs will win or not on any given game. He is a career 38.5% 3-pt shooter, which is a very good average for any player. This season and in the playoffs so far, when he shoots close to that (36% or better), the Mavs are 27-6. When he shoots worse than 36%, they are 19-19

He is just so important because of his defense so when he's making shots, they are hard to beat. If he ever catches fire and goes on a Klay Thompson-like performance which we've seen a few times, they are unstoppable
[-] The following 3 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • Arioch, Kammrath, SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...8635014144
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...0119734273
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1517567678860259328
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...0152595456
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...1242300418
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3378...-utah-jazz
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
One thing I do have to admit I'm a little concerned about is DP being completely neutralized in the playoffs for the second straight year. Now, it's possible that changes with Luka coming back, but right now he's just too weak of an offensive threat to get major minutes. Something to keep an eye on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(04-22-2022, 11:59 PM)Branduil Wrote: One thing I do have to admit I'm a little concerned about is DP being completely neutralized in the playoffs for the second straight year. Now, it's possible that changes with Luka coming back, but right now he's just too weak of an offensive threat to get major minutes. Something to keep an eye on.

It's weird because I felt DP played well in limited minutes. In fact there were times I thought he was more effective than Maxi. But of course at the end of the day the reason why DP doesn't (and quite frankly can't) play more than 20 mins in a game is because he can't shoot a 3 consistently. 

If he did then I'm sure he'd be out there quite more. The fact he's also undersized makes him easy to be bullied by Gobert. 

Maybe this all changes when Luka comes back, as the roll gets freed up more and there are different looks.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • burekemde, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
Goal #1 for Mavs: Don’t give Gobert someone to guard. Dwight is that guy. He can’t play.
Like Reply
Maybe this is the game where DP hits that three in the corner.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...5229051904
Like Reply
(04-22-2022, 11:17 AM)windjc Wrote: We are a better team minus KP and plus Dinwiddie.

Aside from Luka we are a better team than last year because DFS is playing better defense and offense. He has improved. Brunson is playing better defense and offense. He has improved. Green is playing better defense and offense. He has improved. Bullock is on the team. Powell is healthier. 

All these things have improved our team. 

Yes Hardaway is injured. But the guys who are taking his minutes are as a group significantly better. 

Guys, Dallas was tied for the BEST record in the league after the ASB. The pace was a 61 win season. Why are some here acting like we are not contenders?

This is all true.  I think the biggest reason this team was better post trade is Luka's play.  He really struggled the first couple of months of the season, but has been playing like a true superstar since.  Some of that is being out of shape, some of it is probably the funk that most of the team was in the first couple of months (possibly due to different ball) and some of it is probably due to relief of not having to deal with KP anymore.

Its tough for folks to see this team as a contender because we have been watching guys like Brunson, DFS, Powell, and Maxi for years and saying we have too many folks in the 5-8 range on a contender and we need more starters, while that group has quietly moved into more of a 3-6 range.  

Personally, I feel like we could still use one more quality starter and we are too thin in the frontcourt right now.  That being said, with Booker being out, if we get Luka back to full health in time I can see us making a legit run at it.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Arioch, fifteenth
Like Reply
This just got real for Luka. He’s playing for his legacy now. A loss in this series will make him the greatest player to not win a series in his first four years in the NBA. He doesn’t want that and neither do the Mavs.
Like Reply
(04-23-2022, 06:51 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: This just got real for Luka. He’s playing for his legacy now. A loss in this series will make him the greatest player to not win a series in his first four years in the NBA. He doesn’t want that and neither do the Mavs.

The Luka HSO’s will be unbearable if he comes back and they blow a 2-1 lead.  Stephen A (noted professional moron) already pushing the stupid “Mavs better without Luka” as soon as the game ended. 

Kidd has been great this series.  He was awful in the final 11 seconds and he has to find a way to create some of that free flowing offense with Luka on the floor.
Like Reply
If they lose the series then so be it...Luka still has a long career ahead of him and the team needs more talent. MJ and Giannis did not make it out of the first round until their 4th try. This is supposed to be the best team in 10 years but there still isn't a legitimate All Star teammate.
Like Reply