Poll: Who will win the series?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DAL (4-0)
0%
0 0%
DAL (4-1)
7.32%
3 7.32%
DAL (4-2)
39.02%
16 39.02%
DAL (4-3)
29.27%
12 29.27%
UTA (4-3)
2.44%
1 2.44%
UTA (4-2)
12.20%
5 12.20%
UTA (4-1)
2.44%
1 2.44%
UTA (4-0)
7.32%
3 7.32%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (4-2) vs #5 UTA (2-4) |
JB's role with Luka does feel more like a sixth man.  My opinion has changed as I do think he can carry the water as a starter for another franchise, but they way both he and Luka pound the rock just aren't a great mesh.  I think if JB wants to stay in Dallas, his next offseason needs to focus on catch and shoot from deep and figuring out a way to reliably get a 3PT shot off the bounce.  The first will help him play off of Luka better and the later will make him an unstoppable force on the court.  It also wouldn't hurt to watch how CP3 uses screens to get to his spots for easy 2PT jumpers.  It just seems so effortless compared to how much JB has to work to get his shots.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ReunionMav
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 12:42 AM)audiosway Wrote: Which is exactly why I mentioned mid season that the plan should be to resign Brunson and flip him for a better fitting piece. If it happens in a S&T so be it. But, I think it would need to be by the TDL next season. They need a "Jimmy Butler" type player to play with Luka. Someone who is a stud defender and can score while playing a wing role. But, one that doesn't require the ball in his hands to be effective.

I think Dinwiddie has shown he can be that extra playmaker off the bench.

I just don't get this takes about Luka, Brunson and Dinwiddie. Brunson had two great and one average game without Luka. With Luka back, he had just a couple of shots less than in previous games and got to his spots exactly as in previous games. The only difference was, that shots didn't fall - very similar to his first game. If the shots would fall, he would score 30+. Mavs worked fine when Luka and Brunson were on court. Starting line-up had awesome defensive and offensive ratings. Sure it would be better if Brunson was taller and had longer hands, but I don't think his spot is the one we need to think about upgrading. 

Dinwiddie on the other hand has a bad series. He does score 16 ppg, but at really low efficiency. Especially bad was his performance in game 4. He needs to improve his game for Mavs to have a chance. Clarkson is killing him in the battle of 6th men. 

I hope Mavs will adjust a bit in the next game. Luka should run PnR and force Gobert to switch on him and take him out of the paint. Than pass it to Brunson. Bench needs to give more. It also has to be admitted, that Utah lifted their defensive effort substantially. But I am sure Mavs have more in the tank to adjust and exploit their opponent weaknesses.
[-] The following 7 users Like omahen's post:
  • Arioch, ballsrchr, Branduil, burekemde, DallasMaverick, Fuerza1, Smitty
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 01:13 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the ideal guy next to Luka is a brute of a center that can actually score around the rim

I have been beating the drum for 4 years now: Luka needs a pick and roll partner. 

If JB is not a pick and roll partner for Luka, then he is not the ideal offensive partner for him. 

Whoever is not Luka's pick and roll partner is ultimately a catch and shoot guy, standing on the perimeter.
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 01:49 AM)omahen Wrote: I just don't get this takes about Luka, Brunson and Dinwiddie. Brunson had two great and one average game without Luka. With Luka back, he had just a couple of shots less than in previous games and got to his spots exactly as in previous games. The only difference was, that shots didn't fall - very similar to his first game. If the shots would fall, he would score 30+. Mavs worked fine when Luka and Brunson were on court. Starting line-up had awesome defensive and offensive ratings. Sure it would be better if Brunson was taller and had longer hands, but I don't think his spot is the one we need to think about upgrading. 

Dinwiddie on the other hand has a bad series. He does score 16 ppg, but at really low efficiency. Especially bad was his performance in game 4. He needs to improve his game for Mavs to have a chance. Clarkson is killing him in the battle of 6th men. 

I hope Mavs will adjust a bit in the next game. Luka should run PnR and force Gobert to switch on him and take him out of the paint. Than pass it to Brunson. Bench needs to give more. It also has to be admitted, that Utah lifted their defensive effort substantially. But I am sure Mavs have more in the tank to adjust and exploit their opponent weaknesses.

Exceptional post omahen. Agree with every part. It would be a great decoy to get Luka to get Gobert out of paint, and then pass it to Brunson - that is ordered to attack the paint immediately. So many ways to exploit defenses, when you have two playmakers. This would create heavoc in the defensive scheme of Utah. Brunson would become even more effective. Agree also Brunson and Luka have played so well together all year long. The record with Luka and without, speaks for itself.

At end of the day, Mavs have a more talented team, and they will prevail. The only way Utah wins is if they play with much higher intensity. I think Utah increased their physicality and intensity in last game . But I see Mavs winning big over Utah in next game, as a huge statement victory.
[-] The following 2 users Like burekemde's post:
  • DallasMaverick, omahen
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 06:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I have been beating the drum for 4 years now: Luka needs a pick and roll partner. 

If JB is not a pick and roll partner for Luka, then he is not the ideal offensive partner for him. 

Whoever is not Luka's pick and roll partner is ultimately a catch and shoot guy, standing on the perimeter.

This goes along with omahens great point. Its not true that all the other 3 are just standing and watching. We have seen it all season long that Luka passes to Brunson, which then attacks the paint from different perspective. If you dont have Brunson among the other 3, you cant pull off something as this. In the case of Utah, Luka can get Gobert out, then pass to Brunson - which then can attack the paint without Gobert roaming. Just this one example shows how it is key to have Luka and Brunson.

Another aspect, that was immensely effective all year long, and reason for Brunson such effectiveness along with Luka, is that when Luka gets doubled, he is able to pass it to open Brunson. Brunson then not only is able to shoot open 3s, but also in contrary to the stationary 3&D players Brunson is also able to penetrate with ease to the paint and make huge damage. Another great example why we need Brunson along with Luka and not stationary 3&D guys that just stand and shoot. All year long thats why Luka and Brunson lineups have been so great for us. Brunson can shoot the 3s when they are going in, or simply attack the paint with a huge gap to him allowed when playing along with Luka. Either way, Brunson has been a weapon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 08:49 AM)burekemde Wrote: I think Utah increased their physicality and intensity in last game . But I see Mavs winning big over Utah in next game, as a huge statement victory.

There is one concern that I have. Utah didn't put together a game with a very hot shooting night. Sort of what Mavs had in game 2. A game where they just can't miss.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • burekemde, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 08:57 AM)omahen Wrote: There is one concern that I have. Utah didn't put together a game with a very hot shooting night. Sort of what Mavs had in game 2. A game where they just can't miss.

Agreed. Utah was one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the league this year, and they haven't had a game where they went  lights out yet. Mavs D has something to do with it, but being real they've missed looks they usually make. The one player that worries me is Bogdan Bogdanovic. He hasn't had a breakout game yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 10:15 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Agreed. Utah was one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the league this year, and they haven't had a game where they went  lights out yet. Mavs D has something to do with it, but being real they've missed looks they usually make. The one player that worries me is Bogdan Bogdanovic. He hasn't had a breakout game yet.

I think he hasn't had a breakout game yet because he plays for the Hawks...just teasing.  I get them mixed up all the time too.

The Mavs D definitely has something to do with it, they're limiting the amount of attempts incredibly well.  I'm not sure why we're saying Bojan hasn't had a breakout game though because he's looked like their best player offensively games 1-3.  Didn't look like it in game 4 but that's because they decided he's just going to guard (foul) Luka and Brunson 80 ft from the basket.  No one can do that and have legs left over for offense too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...7995026432
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...3761577985
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9192850435
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...5542144001
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...9252614144
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 01:49 AM)omahen Wrote: I just don't get this takes about Luka, Brunson and Dinwiddie. Brunson had two great and one average game without Luka. With Luka back, he had just a couple of shots less than in previous games and got to his spots exactly as in previous games. The only difference was, that shots didn't fall - very similar to his first game. If the shots would fall, he would score 30+. Mavs worked fine when Luka and Brunson were on court. Starting line-up had awesome defensive and offensive ratings. Sure it would be better if Brunson was taller and had longer hands, but I don't think his spot is the one we need to think about upgrading. 

I think Powell and Dinwiddie were destined to have a bad series.  Most of Din's game is driving to the paint, and that is really hard to do with Gobert sitting there.  Powell makes it easy for Gobert to sit in the paint.  They both would be better off playing minutes when Gobert is on the bench.

Guys like DFS, Maxi and Bullock were destined to have a good series if they could hit wide open shots (and they have so far).  Their defense is important against potent Jazz offense, and they should put pressure on Gobert to come out to perimeter (or feast on wide open 3s). 

I think we need to start Maxi and play him as many minutes as we can with Gobert on the court (hopefully he wont get as many bullshit calls at home).  I also think we may need to finish games with Bullock instead of Din.  Normally I would prefer to finish with Din do to having another playmaker out there and he is generally clutch, but with Gobert out there I think Bullock's floor stretching and defense are more useful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 11:23 AM)mvossman Wrote: Most of Din's game is driving to the paint, and that is really hard to do with Gobert sitting there.

100% this. SD's game has been MASSIVELY minimized by Gobert.
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 11:24 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 100% this. SD's game has been MASSIVELY minimized by Gobert.

It is ironic how the 6'1 guard is living in the paint but the 6'6 guard can't score... I agree though.
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 11:27 AM)Smitty Wrote: It is ironic how the 6'1 guard is living in the paint but the 6'6 guard can't score... I agree though.

SD is a beat you with his first step, score "at the rim" guy while JB is executing the crafty mid-range and short-range game to perfection. But I agree, it is not what you would expect. But I can remember SO many drives from SD that were completely squelched or derailed by Gobert's presence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-25-2022, 11:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: SD is a beat you with his first step, score "at the rim" guy while JB is executing the crafty mid-range and short-range game to perfection. But I agree, it is not what you would expect. But I can remember SO many drives from SD that were completely squelched or derailed by Gobert's presence.

Absolutely, I agree with everything you said. Plus it's now probably creeped into the mental aspect of the game for SD.
Like Reply
Din is shooting 18 % from three on 5.5 attempts per game this series... Nothing to do with Gobert. Also games 3 and 4 there are in total perhaps three plays that affected him with more problems represented by Whiteside
Like Reply
If anything Dinwiddie is due for a monster game. 

I hope Gobert is scared because he should be

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.embedly.com%2Fwidgets%2Fmedia.html%3Ftype%3Dtext2Fhtmlkey%3Dcb7145f1731b4c328f8e4d2201854ceaschema%3Dtwitterurl%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fbobbykaralla%2Fstatus%2F1517333931783344134image%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Fabs.twimg.com%2Ferrors%2Flogo46x38.png
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • burekemde, Smitty
Like Reply