Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucks game got folks' attention
Everyone wants to do video breakdowns of Luka's play. Here's a fun one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LJbjHuLKCfo
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 6 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Hogmelon, Hypermav, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Tyler
Like Reply
(04-04-2022, 11:06 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Everyone wants to do video breakdowns of Luka's play. Here's a fun one.

For bonus points, re-watch the same video and note how many plays Powell was directly involved in even when he didn't touch the ball. His chemistry with Luka is off the charts.
[-] The following 7 users Like Tyler's post:
  • ballsrchr, burekemde, DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, WildArkieBoy
Like Reply
The Doncic/Powell P&R is one of the league's deadliest. That's the foundation of the offense. I have to admit, I didn't see this coming from Powell. He's having the best year since he's been here IMO..
[-] The following 3 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • burekemde, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
More of the same about Luka...

https://deadspin.com/luka-doncic-took-do...1848748002
Like Reply
What's sad is, everything that Luka is doing with Powell should have been possible with Porzingis, in addition to him stretching the floor with shooting. It's still difficult to comprehend why KP could never develop a two-man game with Luka when everyone else plays so well off of him, but what's done is done.
[-] The following 3 users Like Branduil's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen, rocky164
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 10:29 AM)Branduil Wrote: What's sad is, everything that Luka is doing with Powell should have been possible with Porzingis, in addition to him stretching the floor with shooting. It's still difficult to comprehend why KP could never develop a two-man game with Luka when everyone else plays so well off of him, but what's done is done.

DP is all about team. KP wants his touches in his spots or he gets his feelings hurt. 

I agree with your statement. It's hard to understand. But I never heard KP lobby in interviews for more pnr with Luka. But he mentioned his touches in his spots all the time.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 10:29 AM)Branduil Wrote: What's sad is, everything that Luka is doing with Powell should have been possible with Porzingis, in addition to him stretching the floor with shooting. It's still difficult to comprehend why KP could never develop a two-man game with Luka when everyone else plays so well off of him, but what's done is done.

Porzingis isn't as able as Powell to take a hit and move on. He is "stunned" if tagged by a defender or hit while setting a screen and this messes up any timing.
Luka->KP was great, when KP was cutting.
Like Reply
I think KP wanted to be #1 and thought that would be his role in DAL. After all, he was the one with more experience and with the All Star box checked. Luka was this 19yo wunderkind, but probably still a kind in KP's opinion. Never mind that Luka was coming in to the NBA with more accomplishments and awards than KP ever thought about. But, by the time KP was able to play, Luka had established himself as a budding supernova and KP couldn't stand the glare.

Also, there was a possible future earnings spin. In short, it was about who got credit for the basket. Currently Powell makes the dunk, but it's Luka drawing the defense with his scoring threat and making the pass for DP's score. I always thought that KP felt diminished somehow if his success depended on Luka's greatness. DAL gave KP a max contract, but if the narrative became how he was only successful because of Luka, then maybe he (or his agent) felt it would be difficult to justify a continued max position in the next one.

FWIW, I haven't spent much time thinking about KP since he packed his bags for WAS. These are spins I developed over the last two seasons as I watched the partnership fail to ignite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Wiz game got my attention as well.  I do think when the Mavs are engaged, they are tough to beat.  Games against peer contenders have been pretty good this year.  I can't see the Mavs not being ready to give their best for a playoff games/series.
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 10:48 AM)Mapka Wrote: Porzingis isn't as able as Powell to take a hit and move on. He is "stunned" if tagged by a defender or hit while setting a screen and this messes up any timing.

Maybe, or maybe he just doesn't LIKE to absorb the contact in those situations. Either way, we could all see right away that in order for the duo to work, he'd have to play more like that. We were waiting and waiting, but it never became a priority for him. Maybe it's more fair to say it never became a priority for the team, idk.
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 11:09 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I think KP wanted to be #1 and thought that would be his role in DAL. After all, he was the one with more experience and with the All Star box checked. Luka was this 19yo wunderkind, but probably still a kind in KP's opinion. Never mind that Luka was coming in to the NBA with more accomplishments and awards than KP ever thought about. But, by the time KP was able to play, Luka had established himself as a budding supernova and KP couldn't stand the glare.

Also, there was a possible future earnings spin. In short, it was about who got credit for the basket. Currently Powell makes the dunk, but it's Luka drawing the defense with his scoring threat and making the pass for DP's score. I always thought that KP felt diminished somehow if his success depended on Luka's greatness. DAL gave KP a max contract, but if the narrative became how he was only successful because of Luka, then maybe he (or his agent) felt it would be difficult to justify a continued max position in the next one.

FWIW, I haven't spent much time thinking about KP since he packed his bags for WAS. These are spins I developed over the last two seasons as I watched the partnership fail to ignite.

I think many take Powells skills for granted. Yes he is depending on a P&R savant, but before Luka, it worked with JJB too.
It's just something he excels in. And it seems not fair to both to act, if it was just something KP could have done easily.

I'm pretty sure I can’t judge what KP might or might not envisioned or thought he earned himself as a role.
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 09:09 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The Doncic/Powell P&R is one of the league's deadliest. That's the foundation of the offense. I have to admit, I didn't see this coming from Powell. He's having the best year since he's been here IMO..

I’ll quibble a little on this.

Post all-star Powell is having the best run of his career.  Post all-star his O-Rating is 151 and his TS% .744 (goodness gracious).  But his post all-star per36 points and rebounds of 17.5 and 9.2 are not his best.  Full season 18/19 was slightly better in some ways to post all-star 22 and in most ways to full season 21-22.  What is the commonality between post all-star this year and 18/19.  Both include Luka and neither includes KP.  

There was a lot of sentiment around here that Powell kept KP from working by clogging the lane.  Turns out KP kept Powell from being all that he could be and all that Powell can be fits well in a team concept with Luka.
[-] The following 8 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, Hogmelon, KillerLeft, michaeltex, mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, Tyler
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 11:26 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ll quibble a little on this.

Post all-star Powell is having the best run of his career.  Post all-star his O-Rating is 151 and his TS% .744 (goodness gracious).  But his post all-star per36 points and rebounds of 17.5 and 9.2 are not his best.  Full season 18/19 was slightly better in some ways to post all-star 22 and in most ways to full season 21-22.  What is the commonality between post all-star this year and 18/19.  Both include Luka and neither includes KP.  

There was a lot of sentiment around here that Powell kept KP from working by clogging the lane.  Turns out KP kept Powell from being all that he could be and all that Powell can be fits well in a team concept with Luka.

Well, and several of the other players have improved a lot since then, too, making Powell's contributions more noticeable as they translate to success on the both the single-possession and winning games levels. 

But, I totally agree with your point that Powell was doing these great things before the injury, too.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 11:16 AM)Mapka Wrote: before Luka, it worked with JJB too.

Dwight learned his roll role from JJB and Devin Harris. Those guys continue to make an impact on this franchise. Such great dudes. 

I look at Chriss and wonder what 3-5 years next to Luka and Jalen might turn him into. It certainly won’t happen overnight. But he’s got the talent and seems to have the want to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 11:12 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Wiz game got my attention as well.  I do think when the Mavs are engaged, they are tough to beat.  Games against peer contenders have been pretty good this year.  I can't see the Mavs not being ready to give their best for a playoff games/series.

The only thing is everybody, brings it in the playoffs. Mavs can't afford the periodic "stinker" they usually have. It's tough enough beating a good team 4 times in a series. Their key is making shots.  If they make their 3's, they can beat anyone.
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 11:26 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ll quibble a little on this.

You're opinion. I respect it. But, from my vantage point, Powell has never scored the ball like he is now. You can tell he and Luka have developed better chemistry than even 2 years ago.  I know the stats say this and that, but sometimes you can visually see improvement in a player, sans stats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I’m praying that we get Utah and not Denver. Don’t know if I can handle you Dwight fans making excuses after the gimmick offense is exposed and Jokic has a 127 eFG% when guarded by Dwight.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 12:11 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Powell has never scored the ball like he is now. 

Minor pushback…I think stats do answer this.  It just depends which question you are asking.  If you are saying he’s never scored like this (meaning in terms of measuring points scored on a per minute basis), then he has actually scored like this before.  If you are saying he’s never scored like this (meaning as easily and efficiently), then TS% and to a lesser extent O-Rating say you are right about that.  

When you said “his best year”, I took it to mean across the entire spectrum of what he contributes.  18/19 is amazingly similar to 21-22 (and better by very small degrees in most measurements).  It is even better in some measurements than post all-star break Powell.  I think Killer is right that we just didn’t appreciate it as much when it happened on a less successful team. 

I’m not a Powell defender because I think he’s a top flight starting center.  I’m a Powell defender because so many people here have missed the analysis on him for such a long time.  BTW, be prepared for disappointment those of you who think he will be signing for less than the MLE.  I find the discussion about adding to the future center rotation that has been going on to be fascinating.  

Gobert?  A lesser Gobert (like Capella or Turner)?  Another small/mobile center who is good at the PnR like Powell?  A cheap big thug who is nothing like Powell to eat up some minutes against bigger bodies?  A 3&D center (who actually hits 3’s) to replace/supplement Maxi?  I have no problem with Powell moving to the bench if a new starter pushes him there.  I’ve always thought it much more likely he stays next season in some capacity.  That probably means Maxi either goes or moves to backup PF behind DFS (a position he would compete with Bertans for).  I do think it would be a mistake to try to roll with what we have at this position past the current season, but I can make a good argument for just about any of those possibilities.  Its not like we were all pinning for Bullock prior to his signing, so the odd are none of us has this exactly nailed at this point.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, Hogmelon, mvossman, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
The area Powell improved most this season imho is the short roll. The role critical in the system with Luka, because he gets doubled so much. That pass to the short roll is critical - the player should be able to be an instant threat. Either to shoot, drive or pass to the open man. Powell was not so good in this role at the start of the season, but has improved a lot. He can really pass it well. Maxi is still bad, as he only looks for a pass and defenders know that by now. 

Mike Tobey from Olympics was actually the best guy in this position I saw next to Luka. Real threat when he got the ball. Sure most of competition was lower level, but Luka and him torched Gobert in semifinals - he scored 23 points against France. 

As some has previously said, it was also always a mistery to me too, why KP didn't accept this role. He should really shine as he has the shot, the drive or the pass. But I agree, he must have had other ideas. 

So, which center can be better offensively while playing same or better level of defense (I always thought Powell is a great team defender)? 

Wood is a guy that is very intriguing on the offensive side for me. He can shoot and is great in PnR. Can he get his head straight? Can he be successful on a winning team? I didn't see him enough to be able to judge his defense. These are the questions I don't have the answer.

I think Holmes would be an improvement on both sides. He is not a shooter so perhaps not ideal, but he has a killing floater. 

Turner is an improvement defensively, but I am not so sure about offense. What can he do as a short roll?

Gobert is certainly better defender and better in PnR. He is not a great passer though, but mostly he is imho way overpaid and would cost too much I would be willing to pay.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(04-05-2022, 12:52 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Powell

One thing to consider. Powell is having an awesome season and is expiring. Wouldn't this be time to sell high? Could we perhaps convince a center hungry team as Charlotte to give up something for him? I would love to get PJ Washington - would Powell and perhaps the 2026 pick be enough for Plumlee and PJ?

Maxi needs one hell of playoffs to repair his value, but I am not optimistic. I think he is a regular season role player.
Like Reply