Poll: Where are you from?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Dallas
32.11%
35 32.11%
North America (not Dallas)
35.78%
39 35.78%
Europe
22.94%
25 22.94%
Asia
6.42%
7 6.42%
Australia
0.92%
1 0.92%
South America
0.92%
1 0.92%
Africa
0.92%
1 0.92%
Total 109 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CHECK IN: Where are you from?
Question 
I'm just curious how we are distributed around the globe.

Feel free to add your country of origin and how you became an NBA/Mavs fan.

I'm from Germany. I got into the NBA by a Childhood friend and due to playing some oldsql NBA games on Gameboy and PC. Greg Ostertag for three! , Plus we had weekly highlights of the NBA running in free tv in Germany.
Oh and I think Space Jam was one of the first movies I've ever been to the cinema.

I became a Mavs fan in 2006, watched the whole Playoffs to cope with the death of my father.

Stayed on ever since, sometimes watching more sometimes only reading the forums.
Like Reply
I grew up in Mesquite, the easternmost suburb that borders Dallas (culturally, think King of the Hill), lived there for 20 years, moved to Denton, TX, the northern apex of DFW and lived there for 20 years, and have now lived in SW Fort Worth for 7 years. So I've lived at the vertices of DFW my whole life. Not sure if I could handle moving to the interior. 

I loved basketball and followed all the local pro teams as a little kid, so the Mavs and I were an obvious match. Ro was my first favorite player (back when it was either Ro or Aguirre) and Roy Tarpley broke my young teenage heart. 

Fun ways that I think God has used my Mavs fandom to smile at me when he was sending me blessings: Our house address is 4141 and it's just off of Dirk's Road, and I married my wife when I was 41.  Big Grin

I'm a civil engineer now, but didn't start doing that until I was old. Previously I had cleaned swimming pools, sold cars and taught high school and college math classes. 

I don't go to a lot of Mavs games in person, but I saw the banner raised in person! These days my wife and I take the TRE (train) over to Victory Park a few times a season to see some Mavs. The last time I was there was the free scrimmage. I'll probably ask for a game/date with my wife for Christmas.
Like Reply
Kansas City, Kansas.....born in San Antonio, Texas.
Like Reply
Cairo, Egypt.
Basketball isn't really popular here although it has gained some exposure recently. Started following the Mavs in 208 and was fan of them thanks to Dirk
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:12 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Cairo, Egypt.
Basketball isn't really popular here although it has gained some exposure recently. Started following the Mavs in 208 and was fan of them thanks to Dirk

Wow! Didn't really expect an African fan, cool!

(11-18-2019, 03:58 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I grew up in Mesquite, the easternmost suburb that borders Dallas (culturally, think King of the Hill), lived there for 20 years, moved to Denton, TX, the northern apex of DFW and lived there for 20 years, and have now lived in SW Fort Worth for 7 years. So I've lived at the vertices of DFW my whole life. Not sure if I could handle moving to the interior. 

I loved basketball and followed all the local pro teams as a little kid, so the Mavs and I were an obvious match. Ro was my first favorite player (back when it was either Ro or Aguirre) and Roy Tarpley broke my young teenage heart. 

Fun ways that I think God has used my Mavs fandom to smile at me when he was sending me blessings: Our house address is 4141 and it's just off of Dirk's Road, and I married my wife when I was 41.  Big Grin

I'm a civil engineer now, but didn't start doing that until I was old. Previously I had cleaned swimming pools, sold cars and taught high school and college math classes. 

I don't go to a lot of Mavs games in person, but I saw the banner raised in person! These days my wife and I take the TRE (train) over to Victory Park a few times a season to see some Mavs. The last time I was there was the free scrimmage. I'll probably ask for a game/date with my wife for Christmas.

Sounds precious! Thanks for sharing.
Like Reply
We need a option for multiple answers. I have both German and US citizenship. Dad is a Dallas native. Mum is from Germany. Spent most of my life in Wiesbaden/Germany. Moved to Arlington/Virginia. Went back to Germany. Finished university/med school in Mainz/Germany. Currently back in the DC area but me and my fiance will move to Berlin/Germany next summer.
Still have a lot of family in DFW and visit at least twice a year.

On a side note. Are there any new options to watch Mavs games in Germany besides international league pass?
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: We need a option for multiple answers. I have both German and US citizenship. Dad is a Dallas native. Mum is from Germany. Spent most of my life in Wiesbaden/Germany. Moved to Arlington/Virginia. Went back to Germany. Finished university/med school in Mainz/Germany. Currently back in the DC area but me and my fiance will move to Berlin/Germany next summer.
Still have a lot of family in DFW and visit at least twice a year.

On a side note. Are there any new options to watch Mavs games in Germany besides international league pass?

DAZN I think at least some of the games. 
International league pass should be best.

Thanks for sharing your background, just select what you think fits most otherwise it gets confusing.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: We need a option for multiple answers.

I could add an option if you really want....but I say you vote for Europe since you spent the most time there growing up and are now moving back there.
Like Reply
Hey,

Luka from Slovenia here.

No, not THAT Luka Smile

I'm gonna be twice his age once he turns 21.

Started watching the NBA in the early nineties, still remember my mid night howling when Olajuwon and Co. dispatched Ewing and Co.

Followed sporadically since then but my interest has increased 'slightly' in the past year or so Smile
Like Reply
Dallas and East of Dallas in Kaufman and Henderson Counties...started watching the first season as a seven year old...Brad Davis was my favorite player when I was young...get ridiculed in the 90s for wearing my Mavs gear...jack of all trades R+M in Clean Room Factories,  modular office furniture install/modify, and Ergonomist currently...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Born and Raised deep in the Heart of Texas. 

I've lived in several parts of the metroplex growing up: Oak cliff, Love Field, Mesquite. I am a network security engineer and I live in Plano now.

Amazing how diverse we are.
Like Reply
From Adelaide South Australia.
Started following the NBA in early 90s and like a lot of people followed the Bulls Smile
Once Jordan retired again and Dirk came in I became a Mavs fan.
Have seen 3 Mavs games live, back in 2015, 1 in Oakland and 2 in Dallas.
Like Reply
Germany. Former Detlef Schrempf (when he played in Seattle) and Dirk Nowitzki fan.
Dirk-only Fan
Like Reply
I picked Dallas I guess. Born in Fort Worth, raised in Arlington. My area code has always been 817 my entire life. My first sports jersey was a Jason Kidd jersey that wore proudly in third grade. I’m 34, so I grew up during the Nowitzki, Nash, Finley era (only six years of Nash). Growing up, Finley was my favorite player. I remember always trying model my playing style to him as a kid. Nowitzki would take his place eventually. Im only 5’10 so I couldn’t model my game after Nowitzki. I’m currently a teacher.
Like Reply
São Paulo, Brazil. Age 25, engineer. Always loved basketball, initially picked the Mavs in 03-04 because of the logo (at the time I tought it was badass, actually I still do), soon fell in love with Dirk and the crew and have been a fan ever since. Some day I'll make my way into Dallas to catch a game at the AAC.
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
From Fort Worth, then H.E.B., then lived in Houston for almost ten years(most of my 20s), had a company in Austin, and now I live in Colorado.

I have lived in multiple states outside of these two as well. Colorado is absolutely the best place I have ever lived and it is so beautiful here. Regardless of where I have lived, I have remained a Dallas Mavs fan since the Jason Kidd and the Three Js days in the 90s.
Like Reply
Philippines
Like Reply
Philippines.  Mavs fan since 2000, probably for the rest of my life too.  I picked the team primarily because of Dirk being such a great human being and a unique basketball player (the original unicorn!).
Like Reply
This thread turned out to be a lot of fun!  Thanks SPM!  I am from Little Elm - North of Dallas.
Like Reply