Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Mavs a playoff team?
After the Knicks game I was ready to jump off a bridge and then the Mavs go and totally redeem themselves.

The standings are starting to shape up. The Suns and Timberwolves are surprise top 8 teams, it's hard to tell if either of them having staying power at this point.

The Blazers and Spurs are both in a bad way. The Spurs have lost 5 straight. I have figured the Spurs will come around and at least be on the border-line of the playoff race but now I am not sure. My best guess is that of the teams outside of the top 8, that the Blazers are most likely to get things figured out.

I thought all summer people were overrrating the West. It's only natural that only so many teams can have top talent and injury luck. Mavs are right in the thick of things. I do think Mavs need to make 1 big move this year to lock in a playoff spot.
Like Reply
The league overall is quite competitive so far.

Mavs should be able to make the playoffs but are unlikely a lock.

They have lots of untapped potential left. If they play a tighter rotation like against Toronto I expect them to make the playoffs barring major injury to Luka.

My inner Carlisle would love to see them play a game without Luka.
Like Reply
Unless the Mavs have bad luck with injuries they are a playoff team IMO...Luka is a MVP candidate and KP still needs more time to get comfortable and knock off the rest of the rust...without KP playing like an All-star we have been competitive each night...also Carlisle is still adjusting roles of players each night and hopefully that will end soon...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
If we can stay healthy which is always a foundational must behind these expectations not only do I see us making the playoffs and most likely near 6th seed, I also see us going deep in the playoffs as a real serious possibility depending on our first round match up. Some teams may be tough since a team like the Lakers who are already a really good team would be also coming in with the refs as well and beating the Lakers and the Refs might be a feat were just not built for just yet.

Definitely high expectations. I see we play down to our competition as well as up to it which means when we slide into the playoffs we will be performance ready against other playoff teams. Luka will lead the team in those moments!
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 12:53 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Unless the Mavs have bad luck with injuries they are a playoff team IMO...Luka is a MVP candidate and KP still needs more time to get comfortable and knock off the rest of the rust...without KP playing like an All-star we have been competitive each night...also Carlisle is still adjusting roles of players each night and hopefully that will end soon...

We might have the starting lineup locked down. Every game I can't wait to see the SL. I expect them to keep running out the Maxi/Curry lineup. That means you just have to figure out the bench rotations and those are still hard to predict. I hate that we have really good players not getting any minutes. As I have said we have too many 7th men on this team.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:30 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:53 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Unless the Mavs have bad luck with injuries they are a playoff team IMO...Luka is a MVP candidate and KP still needs more time to get comfortable and knock off the rest of the rust...without KP playing like an All-star we have been competitive each night...also Carlisle is still adjusting roles of players each night and hopefully that will end soon...

We might have the starting lineup locked down. Every game I can't wait to see the SL. I expect them to keep running out the Maxi/Curry lineup. That means you just have to figure out the bench rotations and those are still hard to predict. I hate that we have really good players not getting any minutes. As I have said we have too many 7th men on this team.

Plus it is the luxury of everyone being relatively healthy/ no major injuries... Knock on wood.
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Gotta figure some teams that are struggling early, will eventually get on track. The Kings for example, are playing better after a tough start, even with Fox and Bagley out. Phoenix is a surprise, but can they sustain it. T-Pups also got off to a good start, but they've dropped a few lately. SA's incredible 22 straight seasons making the playoffs, is in jeopardy, but you still can't count them out till the bitter end. Portland is hard to figure. They signed Melo, but I don't know if he improves them enough to make a major jump. They need to make a trade, for a third wheel. Kevin Love would have been perfect for them. Anywho, I think Dallas will firmly be in the hunt for a spot, barring any major injuries.
Like Reply
Maybe, I like our chances better now than I did at the start of the season. The West doesn't look as mighty this year, probably won't need north of 47 wins to make it this season. 9th seed is only 5-7. Wouldn't count out the Spurs or Blazers yet though we have a chance to really put the Spurs in a bad spot tonight. Not sure yet if Phoenix and Minnesota are mirages. And health is always a factor
Like Reply
I don't think we are a lock. I think we have a good chance at the 7 or 8 seed as long as Luka and KP stay healthy. We can overcome KP being out much better than Luka being out. I expect the Blazers, Kings and Spurs to be in the chase. The Kings have turned it around after their horrible start. I think we need a trade to be a lock. I still feel like we can make the playoffs without a move, but it's not guaranteed. We've looked great at times and atrocious at times. I'm glad we beat the Raps, but Lowry and Ibacka were out. They are both better than our 3-12 rotational players so I'm not making more out of it than it was. It's always great to win though. I did really like RC's rotations last game. He was most responsible for the win. I knock him when he messes up so I have to give him credit when it's due. I do think Phoenix is for real. I think the T-Wolves are more likely to fall back. I'm super excited about the rest of the season and regardless Mavs are back and fun to watch!
Like Reply
No team that is one Luka injury away from irrelevancy is a lock. But if Luka, KP, and most of the rest of the team can stay healthy, Luka and KP will always give them a chance. They might well surprise some people!
Like Reply
If Luka is going to play like this and not get injured I think Mavs are almost a lock at this point. I mean he is averaging a triple double. KP is playing 30% of what he's capable of which I don't see happening the rest of the season. I also believe Rick is maybe weeks away from really solidifying the rotations. I also believe some kind of TDL move will happen. If I had to bet right now and you could promise me Luka won't get injured I would bet on the Mavs making the playoffs.
Like Reply