Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green
[Image: FzWq062XgAEj6_h.jpg?width=483&height=842]

Holy shit Josh looks cut from marble he's so ripped. .
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Dude’s a worker.. His improvement as a shooter and his constant hustle absolutely made the season for me. Anyone who doesn’t think we should extend him ASAP at anything 4yr-60m or below is certifiably insane in my book.
[-] The following 3 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, rocky164, Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/all_things_mavs/stat...94080?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

Josh summer hype videos have me feeling some kind of way
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 01:12 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/all_things_mavs/stat...94080?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

Just give me a season of being assertive on offense with no lapses and I'll buy back into Josh.  Until then, I'll stay on the fence.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 01:12 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/all_things_mavs/stat...94080?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

I'm not buying into yall's hype. He made a jump, then regressed badly near the end of the year. Until he does it in-game consistently and quits deferring to his teammates and disappearing for long stretches, I'll believe it then.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • cow, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
His deference might be frustrating. But it's also the necessary movement needed on a team with Luka+Kyrie. Josh's ability to keep the ball moving is integral to this team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 12:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: His deference might be frustrating. But it's also the necessary movement needed on a team with Luka+Kyrie. Josh's ability to keep the ball moving is integral to this team.

No, it isn't.  Ball movement is one thing.  Turning down open looks is another as it breaks spacing.  He has all the ability in the world and we've seen him do it.  It's all mental.
[-] The following 5 users Like cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, khaled1987, KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 12:41 PM)cow Wrote: No, it isn't.  Ball movement is one thing.  Turning down open looks is another as it breaks spacing.  He has all the ability in the world and we've seen him do it.  It's all mental.

I wholeheartedly agree with every word of this. But, to be fair, it’s not binary. His assertiveness, in many areas but particularly with his catch and shoot opportunities, was night and day improved last season over the previous one. I’m confident he’ll make more progress with that this time around.

But I agree, we need to see it.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Also needs to figure out how to defend without getting the ticky tack fouls.
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 01:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also needs to figure out how to defend without getting the ticky tack fouls.

Agree with this, too, although I think we can chalk some of this up to “growing pains of a young, physical defender.” I mean, the way the league works, you kind of need the rep first - later comes the sympathetic whistle. I realize that it’s not a guaranteed trajectory and that the phenomenon I’m referring to is shadowed by an equally important growth in terms of understanding what you can and can’t get away with, but again, i have a fair amount of faith in Green to figure this out, at this point. 

I just feel like I’ve seen enough to know he’s the right kind of guy - he’s going to get there.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 01:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also needs to figure out how to defend without getting the ticky tack fouls.

That and he also needs to know the tricks of the trade on defense.   Bullock, eventhough he sucked last year, knows how you can put your body on people and gain leverage.   In addition, Josh is very active but I feel if a good scorer is patient he can get to his spot and typically can get a good look.   Maybe having more of a paint presence will help too, but i think using the tricks of the trade and not allowing a good scorer to get to his spots for a clean look are two areas that will propel him from a above average defender to a good defender.
Like Reply
Glad to see Josh is still on the team
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
Interesting numbers on Green. First, I noticed he's officially listed at 6' 7" - that's up from 6' 5". I believe there's a rule around listing players height accurately, so maybe he's grown since his rookie year? I don't think we can pencil him in as a starter yet, at least until we see what happens with Bullock & THJ but he put up solid numbers in 21 starts last year, especially when you compare his production with what DEN got out of KCP.

KCP 6' 5" 204 LBS: MIN 31.3 FG% 46.2 3PT 1.8-4.2 3PT% 42.3 REB 2.7 AST 2.4 STL 1.4 TO 1.1 PTS 10.8

JG 6' 7" 200 LBS: MIN 31.3 FG% 48.7 3PT 1.4-4.0 3PT% 34.9 REB 3.6 AST 2.5 STL 0.6 TO 1.9 PTS 11.8

KCP is clearly a better shooter and defender at this stage; and Josh needs to cut down on turnovers. Hopefully, improvement comes with experience because the tools are there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I did just check and can confirm Green is listed as 6'7 and 200lbs.

If he's actually 6'7, does he not already solve the need for a defensive minded SF?
Like Reply
If Green somehow grew and is now 6’7 that’s sort of a game changer.
Like Reply
(07-03-2023, 08:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I did just check and can confirm Green is listed as 6'7 and 200lbs.

If he's actually 6'7, does he not already solve the need for a defensive minded SF?

Maybe the difference between with/without shoes?
Like Reply
(07-03-2023, 09:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe the difference between with/without shoes?

He measured 6'4" without shoes at the 2020 Combine. Even with plenty of water and sunlight there's no way he grew 3 inches since then.
Like Reply
(07-03-2023, 10:07 PM)loki Wrote: He measured 6'4" without shoes at the 2020 Combine. Even with plenty of water and sunlight there's no way he grew 3 inches since then.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking.  He looks 6'4 or 6'5 to me.  Long arms though.    

BTW, did we ever get an official measurement for height and arm length for Lively.  He didn't measure anything at the combine.  Just curious if he is really 7'1 with a 7'7 wingspan. Wouldn't it be a little disappointing if we hear he was 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan Smile
Like Reply
(07-03-2023, 09:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe the difference between with/without shoes?

Well that wouldn't explain why last year he was listed as 6'5 on the NBA's website vs.  6'7 now. 
https://web.archive.org/web/202207020014...josh-green

Maybe someone made a mistake? But a late growth spurt at 22 isn't unheard of. Giannis kept growing until he was 23. 

If the Mavs make a comment about it come summer camp then we know he actually did grow 2 inches. 

Green suddenly becoming 6'7 is kind of a massive game changer.
Like Reply
(07-03-2023, 10:07 PM)loki Wrote: He measured 6'4" without shoes at the 2020 Combine. Even with plenty of water and sunlight there's no way he grew 3 inches since then.

HGH
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply