Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A New Found Respect For Dwight Powell
I'm officially pivoting. I have a new hate target.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 06:55 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I'm officially pivoting. I have a new hate target.

Not good enough.  This teams success started when DP started getting playing time.  Second most important player on the roster is Diamond.  Put some respect on his name.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 10:22 PM)cow Wrote: Not good enough.  This teams success started when DP started getting playing time.  Second most important player on the roster is Diamond.  Put some respect on his name.

Dwight has played pretty well. Notably some of the best defensive plays I have ever seen him make.

I'm enjoying Dwight's energy so I won't bring up the fact that come playoff time he will be unplayable.

It's also a bit of perspective. McShaqtin being so bad makes Dwight look amazing.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 12:58 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: It's also a bit of perspective. McShaqtin being so bad makes Dwight look amazing.

Incorrect.

Dwight Powell has played amazing and we don't need to compare him to the other underperforming big men on the roster to say that.  He's more than earned his contract number this season.  He single handedly changed the trajectory of this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 04:58 AM)cow Wrote: Incorrect.

Dwight Powell has played amazing and we don't need to compare him to the other underperforming big men on the roster to say that.  He's more than earned his contract number this season.  He single handedly changed the trajectory of this team.

Idk about all that chief
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 01:52 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Idk about all that chief

Try watching the games.
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 03:34 PM)cow Wrote: Try watching the games.

You mean the heart attack inducing clusterfucks? Dwight is playing pretty well and trying very hard. Am I going to worship him as the savior of the Mavs? lol no
Like Reply
I am probably wrong, but tonight feels like a dwight game.  Mavs come out lackluster but Dwight provides energy and gets a double/double type of game.
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 04:43 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am probably wrong, but tonight feels like a dwight game.  Mavs come out lackluster but Dwight provides energy and gets a double/double type of game.

If we win this one, Dwight and Josh will be the difference makers for sure. Need the energy to escape this trap game.
Like Reply
Dude got played off the court in Playoffs and is our second most important player lol.  

All jokes aside...I cant pin point exactly why Dwight as looked better or why he seems to fit better this year.

I have noticed a couple of things...but none of them seem to put him in Playoff playable category to me:

1) He seems to be finishing his buckets at the rim.  2 years ago he would look wild and send a layup over the backboard.   He seems more refined this year in that regard.

2) He doesnt seem to be fumbling the ball into a turnover like in years past.  He would fumble the good passes into the arms of defenders.  I have not noticed him doing that this year.

If he for some reason fixed those issues...does that make him look way better or help the Mavs move the needle?  Does correcting those things even make him Playoff playable?  

Seems like he is not as sloppy this year but I dont know if that makes him a player or not.
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 04:52 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Dude got played off the court in Playoffs and is our second most important player lol.  

All jokes aside...I cant pin point exactly why Dwight as looked better or why he seems to fit better this year.

I have noticed a couple of things...but none of them seem to put him in Playoff playable category to me:

1) He seems to be finishing his buckets at the rim.  2 years ago he would look wild and send a layup over the backboard.   He seems more refined this year in that regard.

2) He doesnt seem to be fumbling the ball into a turnover like in years past.  He would fumble the good passes into the arms of defenders.  I have not noticed him doing that this year.

If he for some reason fixed those issues...does that make him look way better or help the Mavs move the needle?  Does correcting those things even make him Playoff playable?  

Seems like he is not as sloppy this year but I dont know if that makes him a player or not.

I think Dwight was really good (for his role) during the regular season last year.   Heading into the playoffs I felt comfortable with Dwight and was down on Maxi.  Those opinions completely changed in the playoffs.

I think we will see the same issues with Dwight in the playoffs again if we put him in the same role.   Hopefully by then either Wood or another player via trade can put Dwight into a better playoff role where he can be successful in.    Although for the regular season, I think you can be ok if he is playing 20 minutes a night because he plays hard, doesn't make many mistakes, and is a great teammate.

(11-09-2022, 04:49 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: If we win this one, Dwight and Josh will be the difference makers for sure. Need the energy to escape this trap game.

Yeah, probably.  I would also throw hardaway out there.   This could be a game where he gets 25.   On the other hand, he could also get 6.
Like Reply
I'm more than cool with a Dwight bench role for the duration of the season. I'd be cool with re-signing him as well depending on $.
Like Reply
(11-09-2022, 05:09 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I'm more than cool with a Dwight bench role for the duration of the season. I'd be cool with re-signing him as well depending on $.

Max him out.
Like Reply
Powell looking booty against Orlando.  Hasnt been wiped in a month booty.
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 10:22 PM)cow Wrote: Not good enough.  This teams success started when DP started getting playing time.  Second most important player on the roster is Diamond.  Put some respect on his name.

How I’ve put up with this for 9 years is incredible. Built different.

[Image: cover1.jpg]
Like Reply
[Image: b6b]
Like Reply
The Dwight Powell Experience to start the 2nd half was the boost the Grizzlies needed. It was a close 1st half but when the Mavs came out running the offense through Powell, it showed Memphis that this team was not serious about winning the game tonight. Those were some of the worst minutes I've ever seen from a big man. The guy has had the same role for the last 7 years and is the same exact player. No skills developed at all or improvement. Just the same one-trick pony rim-runner that works for a few times a game but no defense is worried about the few dunks and layups he gets.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(03-13-2023, 10:58 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The Dwight Powell Experience to start the 2nd half was the boost the Grizzlies needed. It was a close 1st half but when the Mavs came out running the offense through Powell, it showed Memphis that this team was not serious about winning the game tonight. Those were some of the worst minutes I've ever seen from a big man. The guy has had the same role for the last 7 years and is the same exact player. No skills developed at all or improvement. Just the same one-trick pony rim-runner that works for a few times a game but no defense is worried about the few dunks and layups he gets.

He's the Mavs best big man according to Kidd...lol
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • IamDougieFresh, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
Nothing against DP, I'd love him to stay on the Mavs for the minimum as the 3rd string C.
What I do not want is Kidd coaching next season.
Mavs probably won't get bigs good enough to have DP permanently glued on the bench.
And with Kidd still around, I won't be surprised if DP still gets significant minutes.

Kidd has to go.
Like Reply