Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A New Found Respect For Dwight Powell
(04-02-2022, 02:05 PM)mvossman Wrote: I mean the team is top 10 right now with less than that.  Din is really not that big of a drop off from Bullock and Turner is a huge upgrade over Powell.  Luka has already shown he can play average defense when he cares (and the playoffs will obviously fall into that category) and Din is a roughly average defender.  The only truly subpar defender in that group is Brunson, and even he has shown some improvements this year.

I have no problem finishing games with that group, but for most of the game one of those playmaker/creators will be replaced by Bullock or (even better from a defensive standpoint) Green and the defense will be even better.  If we still have Maxi playing backup 4/5, that team is probably a top 5 defense.

They are only top 10 because of what they did prior to the KP trade. Their defensive rating has gone from 108.6 pre-trade to 116.1 post. I don't entirely put the blame for that on Dinwiddie, but they were certainly playing better D earlier in the year even when KP was sitting.
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 02:44 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs have three players that can take the ball and do something in iso. Other teams have more.

Ok, valid. I think most would agree. 

I just don't think arguing over it is worth missing out on enjoying all of the good things that are happening on the way to the final destination. 

This team IS better than last season. It's undeniable. And for the first time since the Luka/Brunson draft, the team's improvement isn't just a mirror of some huge leap in Luka's effectiveness from one year to the next. He's GREAT, don't get me wrong, but I don't know that he has been much better than last year (I do expect more improvement from him as we go, not suggesting he has plateaued or anything). 

DFS, Brunson, Powell and Green are all WAY better than last year, imho. Dinwiddie has been added. There's quite a bit to feel decently about these days. Of course they need to keep working to get better!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 02:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: There's no argument that the Mavs can be improved in some way or another (even more than one). They're certainly not perfect, and if you have the opportunity to upgrade (for a reasonable cost), well yeah.

But the doom and gloom over today's team is getting absurd.

Your production, not your pedigree or acclaim, is the only objective criteria. By that standard, the Mavs roster is already on a par with or ahead of EVERY team except Phoenix and Memphis. Results, not "roster as we perceive it on paper," is what matters.

When the season ends, Dallas may have the 3rd best record, of everyone, and they are clearly playing on the same tier of success as all of Mia, Mil, Bos, Phil, GS, Utah, Denver. Those teams being lauded for their supposedly impeccable rosters are all flawed in one or more ways, just like the Mavs are, and "not good enough." The supposedly-superb Nets and Clippers won't even make the playoffs for sure, each still hoping to play their way in to one of the bottom seeds. You are who you are.

What doom and gloom? I guess you should know about Mavs2021 style by now. Other than that I didn't see any doom and gloom here. I think concerns about younger up and coming teams and teams that are missing even more than one key player and might be full strength next season are valid. The final goal is to be the top team, not the fourth team in the conference. 

I would add that playoffs are much different than regular season and I would say I am mostly concerned if regular season results will translate into playoffs.
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 02:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: There's no argument that the Mavs can be improved in some way or another (even more than one). They're certainly not perfect, and if you have the opportunity to upgrade (for a reasonable cost), well yeah.

But the doom and gloom over today's team is getting absurd.

Your production, not your pedigree or acclaim, is the only objective criteria. By that standard, the Mavs roster is already on a par with or ahead of EVERY team except Phoenix and Memphis. Results, not "roster as we perceive it on paper," is what matters.

When the season ends, Dallas may have the 3rd best record, of everyone, and they are clearly playing on the same tier of success as all of Mia, Mil, Bos, Phil, GS, Utah, Denver. Those teams being lauded for their supposedly impeccable rosters are all flawed in one or more ways, just like the Mavs are, and "not good enough." The supposedly-superb Nets and Clippers won't even make the playoffs for sure, each still hoping to play their way in to one of the bottom seeds. You are who you are.

I don't see it as doom and gloom. I think we're all pretty excited by the fact that the Mavs are fighting for home court advantage in the playoffs and have a real chance at winning their first round series. It seems to me that people are just trying to be realistic about the team's potential moving forward. If production in the moment was the only thing that mattered, you might have looked at Atlanta's last playoff run and expected them to contend to win the East this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like loki's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Mavs2021, omahen
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 02:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just don't think arguing over it is worth missing out on enjoying all of the good things that are happening on the way to the final destination. 

This team IS better than last season. It's undeniable. And for the first time since the Luka/Brunson draft, the team's improvement isn't just a mirror of some huge leap in Luka's effectiveness from one year to the next. He's GREAT, don't get me wrong, but I don't know that he has been much better than last year (I do expect more improvement from him as we go, not suggesting he has plateaued or anything). 

I am not arguing and I enjoyed watching Mavs win Smile But season isn't over yet and I am not giving grades before that. 

Despite the good plays, Mavs are still "just" 6th in the league. The core is aging and the only rotation players younger than 25 are Luka and Green. I think Mavs should be looking hard to improve the team.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 03:09 PM)omahen Wrote: I think Mavs should be looking hard to improve the team.

We all do, my guy. 

I'm not meaning to lump you in with anyone. More pushing against the dismal tide.

(04-02-2022, 02:57 PM)omahen Wrote: I would add that playoffs are much different than regular season

Agreed, but there are actually three phases, not just two. 

1) regular season before the all star break
2) regular season after the all star break (this is where I expected things to get bad, but they got better!)
3) playoffs (tbd)
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 02:24 PM)mvossman Wrote: Honestly I would suggest the Mavs fit right into this list with Luka, Din, Brunson

After Brunson's breakout year, I agree. 

You can make an argument that THJ is a quality shooter that can create his own shot as well (though he might've regressed to the mean).

It's the PF/C combo that needs to be upgraded. Maxi has been terrible the last 2 playoffs. That has now bled into the regular season. Powell is having a career year, but even still we need a better 5.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 02:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This team IS better than last season. It's undeniable.
We will see after the first round of the playoffs is over. You yourself said it wouldn't surprise you if they were 1 and done. At this point, since we can see that Luka can lift the team to the playoffs year in and year out, that is the only measuring stick for the team's improvement. I will say, the earlier defensive success of the team makes this a better playoff team IMO. I just think that this defense can be taught to most anyone who buys in. I mean the great RC had this potential sitting right in front of him, but went the offensive way anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 07:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We will see after the first round of the playoffs is over. You yourself said it wouldn't surprise you if they were 1 and done.

Nah, it's super plain to see right now. You're correct that we could potentially be headed towards the same ending, but that doesn't equate to a lack of progress. Every year/set of playoff circumstances is different. This IS a noticeably better team than it was last year or the year before. I don't think it's close. 

That's not the same as saying they're definitively "good enough."
Like Reply
(04-03-2022, 07:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nah, it's super plain to see right now. You're correct that we could potentially be headed towards the same ending, but that doesn't equate to a lack of progress. Every year/set of playoff circumstances is different. This IS a noticeably better team than it was last year or the year before. I don't think it's close. 

That's not the same as saying they're definitively "good enough."

Considering we'll most likely be facing a lesser first round opponent, a first round exit would be very disappointing.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3zynWeHM_E
Like Reply
[Image: 278303882_10166187472325461_684141208289...e=6258A2AC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
[Image: 6zbow3.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
I think I like Dwight
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:35 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I think I like Dwight

Been trying to tell you, my guy!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1588031496597737474?s=20&t=DAPwLqcFlOKOdoAh8Z-EGg

Dwight haters in shambles
[-] The following 5 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • BoredAssistant, F Gump, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, Tyler
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:35 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I think I like Dwight

[Image: giphy.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Powell has always done well in the regular season. I'm happy about his play right now, but I haven't forgotten his contributions in the WCF last season either. If he's going to be in the playoff rotation, Kidd (or whoever's the coach at that point) will have to figure out how to use him better in high-stakes playoff basketball.
Like Reply
(11-02-2022, 11:57 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1588031496597737474?s=20&t=DAPwLqcFlOKOdoAh8Z-EGg

Dwight haters in shambles

Fickle fans.

Don't worry, in due time we'll be back to praising the greatness of Timmy's 3-point shooting, McGee's rim protection, and Bullock's 3-and-D acumen.

...and Cuban's willingness to spend the big bucks, Nico's mastery of the GM nuances, and Kidd's coaching.

We're fickle.
Like Reply
Tell Cuban to sign me to a 18/3 contract and you´ll all start loving Joel McGee. It´s all a matter of the right perspective. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • Mapka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply