Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXTENSION: DFS signs 4 yr/$55.5M deal w/ trade-kicker and player-option
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...gr%5Etweet

I can't think of a more deserving person and I'm pleased as punch that we'll get to continue cheering for you.  Thank you bringing forward Dirk's work ethic to the next generation of the Mavs.  

Hope this thread is okay.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • fifteenth, hakeemfaan, Hypermav, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Score one for the Mavs brass! 

This was the right decision, and I was a little worried they wouldn't do it. And for less than I expected, tbh.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, cow, fifteenth
Like Reply
Ok. My day just brightened up a lot.  Still upset at not getting some picks back from a desperate Wiz org.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
I'm low key shocked that Finney Smith didn't try for a larger contract as a free agent but I imagine its hard to turn down generational money for a maybe

And I like how he didn't sign the extension until after the trade deadline was over. If Finney Smith had been traded somewhere horrible, then I doubt if he would have signed
[-] The following 4 users Like MFFL's post:
  • cow, F Gump, hakeemfaan, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 05:39 PM)MFFL Wrote: I'm low key shocked that Finney Smith didn't try for a larger contract as a free agent but I imagine its hard to turn down generational money for a maybe

And I like how he didn't sign the extension until after the trade deadline was over. If Finney Smith had been traded somewhere horrible, then I doubt if he would have signed

No state taxes helps.  Having a great relationship with the team, coaches, players and fans.  Having an important role on a team.  He might have been able to eek out a bit more money but somethings are more important.
Like Reply
Well, that was generous of DFS.  That was a ray of sunshine on this crap day.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 05:50 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Well, that was generous of DFS.  That was a ray of sunshine on this crap day.

Yes...it is.  I was afraid he (his agent) was going to ask for over $15 million a year.  

I'm gonna have to get my head around the other trade before I can...manage to even think about it.
Like Reply
Well at this least this move doesn't make me mad. I went out to pick up some drinks after the KP trade that matched the occasion, I just finished the Steel Reserve but this Four Loko is going to go down a lot better after hearing this
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 05:39 PM)MFFL Wrote: I'm low key shocked that Finney Smith didn't try for a larger contract as a free agent but I imagine its hard to turn down generational money for a maybe

DFS is getting paid for what's on par for great-to-elite 3/D wings. $12-14M per year was about the most he was gonna get on the open market anyways, IMO. For perspective, Bullock got paid $10M/yr (looking more and more like a bargain these days) off a hot year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fuerza1's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I was hoping for 4x48, but I’ll take it!!
Like Reply
Hopefully it's a declining or flat salary and not raises year over year. I think that matters for someone who will be over 30 at the end of the contract. Give him a large bump at the beginning because he earned that big bump.
Like Reply
Now this is better news to get off of a flight and read! Can finally get a DFS jersey since he seems like he’ll be here for awhile. Maybe by the time I drive home we’ll have Jalen locked up.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hopefully it's a declining or flat salary and not raises year over year. I think that matters for someone who will be over 30 at the end of the contract. Give him a large bump at the beginning because he earned that big bump.

Spotrac has it as an increasing salary, which makes sense, since Cuban will be buys trying to avoid paying the tax the next few years.

I´m so happy for Dorian getting his well earned paycheque and so f***** annoyed that Cuban used this moment strategically to deflect from another massive failure.

He couldn´t even get us a small positive trade piece like a cheap young player whether it was in the Porzingis trade or in an additional move using the TPE, so he calculated that this extension would be the bone to throw to the masses.
Like Reply

I don't think it was like this at all.

1 I think what he's getting is the broad market value for a 3-and-D guy whose contribution is way more D than 3. You should find those priced in the MLE range, more or less (maybe just a bit more sometimes) - see Bullock, Reggie.

2 I doubt DFS "waited" and picked his moment. Instead, I would wager the Mavs didn't make a hard offer until they were sure they would not need him in a trade. Most extensions create no-trade barriers. His could have.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • omahen, ReunionMav
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/1491898465382662155?s=20&t=qB-Fc3EOFVTqcK8cLHp2pw
[-] The following 2 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 07:26 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/1491898465382662155?s=20&t=qB-Fc3EOFVTqcK8cLHp2pw

Don't know why Bobby is giving the time of day to people on twitter. They are the most removed from reality. Also DFS isn't getting 16-17mil a year...? 

Avg annual salary for his extension is 13mil which is a fair market value and I'm surprised he didn't go for more.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 07:12 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Spotrac has it as an increasing salary, which makes sense, since Cuban will be buys trying to avoid paying the tax the next few years.

I´m so happy for Dorian getting his well earned paycheque and so f***** annoyed that Cuban used this moment strategically to deflect from another massive failure.

He couldn´t even get us a small positive trade piece like a cheap young player whether it was in the Porzingis trade or in an additional move using the TPE, so he calculated that this extension would be the bone to throw to the masses.

Thx. Not sure why it makes sense since a declining salary helps get under the tax in subsequent years better than an inclining one, but either way, I’m not upset with the contract. Just would have been nicer for the team to use declining for a contract that crosses over the 30yo mark for a player.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1491993228706525195
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...2773235724
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1491994403166171155
Like Reply