Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
Don’t know if this was posted elsewhere, but Nico did an interview on the most recent Mavs Step Back Podcast.  This isn’t one I typically listen to, but all of the Fish related content pops up on my FB page and the Nico interview drew me in.

Says a lot of the same old stuff.  I’m struck by how straightforward and sincere he seems.

1.  Opportunity to get two players instead of one.
2.  Needed more depth and these two players happen to fill positions of need
3.  Added flexibility both on court now and financially in the future.

Probably the most interesting thing to me was his answer to the question about getting that often discussed “second star” next to Luka.  He said they don’t have a person or even a position in mind at this point.  Flexible means being in a better position to get aggressive should the opportunity present itself.  Positionally, if said player is truly a “second star”, positions don’t really matter.  The two stars will figure it out and a team will be built around them.  My expectation is we will probably be sniffing around every unhappy star that comes on the market.  Maybe not feaux stars who put up artificially high (and inefficient) numbers on bad teams.  But true stars.  

On the 77 Minutes podcast yesterday, Tim Cato also commented on how much of a straight shooter Nico is.  He said if Nico says we aren’t going for players on the buyout market, then he’s not trying to fake anyone out.  He’s being sincere in the moment.  If they were trying to get someone, he’d answer differently.  I think that is where the opportunity lies as fans.  We can listen closely (at least until Nico learns how to better give non-answer answers) and when he’s not forthcoming it might mean there is a need to delve deeper into what was asked.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, Kammrath, KillerLeft, soog
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by Kammrath - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | KP to WAS - by cow - 02-10-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - by DanSchwartzgan - 02-17-2022, 12:16 PM