Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-15-2022, 01:35 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The best way to defend Zubac isn't to play a big defensive center simply because the Mavs don't employ one other than Boban and we saw that movie last year. The best way to defend Zubac is for Luka to play him off the floor. That will happen if they meet in the playoffs this year, just like it did last year. The problem for Dallas was that they couldn't play small with an immobile KP at center and trapping Luka in the fourth. 

Here's the bottom line: Dinwiddie and Bertans better equip Dallas to play small when Luka plays the opposing center off the floor. Move, counter-move.

Don't forget, Dallas was in control of the series until the Clippers went small but Dallas had no answer. Now they do.

If we play like that, its going to be Luka vs the Center. All our other 4 players will freeze and not get in game rhythm at all.

Last game Clippers kept letting Zubac vs. Luka matchup. They even started with it, not even waiting for the switch to happen. It was suprising to see. Luka is destorying Zubac. But you also have to account on the other end that Zubac is destroying Powell and DFS inside.

Even if Luka wins the matchup with the center, which he does so extremely well. I still prefer diversity on the offense. What I wanted to see last game is that if they place Zubac on Luka, I still wish to see them swtich Luka to another defender. It may sound counter-intuitive (as you would think Luka center matchup is the dream), but the pick and roll is important game for getting Powell involved and keeping all cards on the offense open. If we just play Luka vs. Center, not pick and roll, just iso offense, it gets too predictable. What if Lukas 3 point shot is off one game? We lose the game then. Every great playoff team will explore that early on if Lukas 3 point is on or not, if we play like that.

I say dont look too much into who is the matchup. Run the pick and roll. In the case of last game, Zubac was on Luka, while Powell was covered by Batum. I say do the pick and roll instead of playing Luka iso offense. There is no way Zubac can fight through the screen and cover Luka. So exploit the matchup like that. And Powell will still destroy Batum as the roll man even more than if Zubac was on him.

On defense, it is clear that we cant be a good defense without a great rim protector. The playoff offenses will destroy us, there is no way we go far. The key is either KP or Maxi. KP is gone, thus our only hope is playing Maxi big minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by Kammrath - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | KP to WAS - by cow - 02-10-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - by burekemde - 02-15-2022, 04:18 PM