Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
After taking the weekend to reflect, I'm more optimistic about this trade than I felt initially. Don't get me wrong, the Mavs sold about as low as they could on KP. But the likelihood of KP ever rebuilding his trade value got bleaker and bleaker in each successive season. I was about as big of a KP defender on the board, but even I have to concede that he could not stay healthy no matter what he did. One errant fall puts him out for 10+ games. Can't build a contender with that. 

Couple that with his history, frame, and position, it must've scared opposing GM's to death. Rightfully so.

BUT looking at the bright side, the two players the Mavs received should ideally fix the bench production. The Mavs bench rank bottom 10 in point's scored. Given that JB is a starter and THJ is out, I can see why the Mavs prioritized filling out the bench. Each guy also should have clear defined roles without disrupting any body else which I think is a huge plus. Brunson remains a starter. Frank/Green are asked to reduce their usage and get back to doing what they do best. 

The way I see it, Dinwiddie comes in for Brunson at 6 mins in the first, plays with Luka, then Brunson starts the 2nd with Dinwiddie until Luka comes back. That way there are always 2 creators/slashers on the court at all times. Lets face it, even a hobbled Dinwiddie SHOULD be better than having Burke/Frank out there for extended minutes. Bertans can hopefully take some of Maxi's minutes and give us good reliable shooting. 

I found an incredible video on Bertans, breaking down his game before he signed his massive contract. It's taken from perspective of a Suns fan (prior to getting CP3 and their bubble run), so ignore that. But seeing what made Bertans succeed initially, makes me hopeful that there's a good chance he'll recoup much of his impact playing next to Luka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvTczklpL0

In any case. I wish the best for KP. He had a tumultuous time with the Mavs and to be honest it really was best for both to move on. Now time to build around Luka properly. If Luka keeps up is 50ppg pace then it shouldn't be too hard  Tongue
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • burekemde, Kammrath, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by Kammrath - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | KP to WAS - by cow - 02-10-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - by SleepingHero - 02-14-2022, 06:34 PM