Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
Whoops - misread that one.

Seems like a bit of a small insurance in case the rest of the season goes really poorly. That's good, I guess.
Like Reply
Usually I tend to complain when the Mavs give up picks but they are running out of roster spots anyway. As of now they would have to create a roster spot to sign their 2022 first round pick (if they aren´t trading it).
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • audiosway, Jommybone, Kammrath, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 02:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Usually I tend to complain when the Mavs give up picks but they are running out of roster spots anyway. As of now they would have to create a roster spot to sign their 2022 first round pick (if they aren´t trading it).

That's something that gets missed a lot. Who would get cut so that they could take on a rookie?
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 03:05 PM)audiosway Wrote: Who would get cut so that they could take on a rookie?

You can sign #46 to a two-way, stash him or trade him. Plenty other options before you need to cut someone.
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 03:05 PM)audiosway Wrote: That's something that gets missed a lot. Who would get cut so that they could take on a rookie?

Draft Nikola Jovic and let him keep playing overseas for a season.
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 11:09 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What reports, though? I just don't think that makes sense, and we haven't heard the full deal, have we?

No - as far as I can tell no one in the media has dug into the 'salary matching' part, and VintagePeja's the only one on this board whose even tried to poke at it realistically. Given that the difference between Goran and KP's salary is non-trivial, the outgoing and incoming to make it match is very relevant to judging the deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Arioch's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 03:05 PM)audiosway Wrote: That's something that gets missed a lot. Who would get cut so that they could take on a rookie?

Probably Burke
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 04:11 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Probably Burke

[Image: alfred-pennyworth-batman.gif]
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 03:31 PM)Dirknows Wrote: Draft Nikola Jovic and let him keep playing overseas for a season.

Stashing would definitely work. Or a two way deal. That means you have to really like a player though. My point is that a mid to late second round pick is only good if there is someone you really want is going to be available.
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 05:01 PM)audiosway Wrote: Stashing would definitely work. Or a two way deal. That means you have to really like a player though. My point is that a mid to late second round pick is only good if there is someone you really want is going to be available.

If you don’t have a roster spot for a 2nd round rookie, then why not trade the pick for a future second rounder?

Then you could always use two late seconds to move up to an earlier second rounder.  Who knows, maybe you could pick up another second rounder and traded into the late  first round.

There is a lot more creative asset management that should be employed than “meh… we don’t have a spot and the guy we draft will probably be crappy.  Just throw the pick in the deal since it’s worthless”
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • ItsGoTime, omahen
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 01:33 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Just as a reminder...

He's .571 from the corner three THIS season

He's .426 on three's in the 8 games where he's gotten 20 minutes or more (better the one game he got 30 minutes) THIS season

He shot .410 from three the entire month of December (a month he averaged 16 minutes a game) THIS season.

No guarantees obviously, but my guess is we'll see a great effort to get him back in a consistent rhythm for about 8 minutes a half.  I'll be curious to see what the five man data for SD, Green, Bertans, Maxi and (anyone) looks like a few weeks from now.

Dan, you keep suggesting (at least twice now) that Bertans will pair with Maxi. That surprises me. Isn’t a long sniper exactly what we need running next to Dwight?
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 07:08 PM)soog Wrote: If you don’t have a roster spot for a 2nd round rookie, then why not trade the pick for a future second rounder?

Then you could always use two late seconds to move up to an earlier second rounder.  Who knows, maybe you could pick up another second rounder and traded into the late  first round.

There is a lot more creative asset management that should be employed than “meh… we don’t have a spot and the guy we draft will probably be crappy.  Just throw the pick in the deal since it’s worthless”

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the front office has shown they know what they are doing. I'm no longer giving the Mavs front office the benefit of the doubt unless they show that they deserve it. That or they hire a Jerry West/Pat Riley type to run it and actually give him control.

I'm curious to see how this all turns out. But, I'm not a fan of Cuban at all. Nico is a wait and see.
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 07:54 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Dan, you keep suggesting (at least twice now) that Bertans will pair with Maxi. That surprises me. Isn’t a long sniper exactly what we need running next to Dwight?

Dwight starts and Kidd indicates Bertans will come off the bench (and may plan some five in certain situations).  Certainly there will be some Dwight/Bertans overlap.  To me, Bertans needs a shot blocker behind him on D (Maxi) and Powell needs guys like DFS and Bullock who don't let guys blow by as easy.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • audiosway, Jommybone
Like Reply
Good for Dallas being able to move their PF/C with the albatross contract
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 12:21 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I look at the TPE as a possible enhancement to what you are suggesting.  We use the 125% rule for the star giving up whatever we give up AND use the TPE to take back an additional contract the other team may not want.  Yes, it is a lot of money for Cubes, but if a star is really on the table, you pull ever lever you have.

FWIW I wonder if the expiration date of TPE will be one calendar year? Or will it be adjusted (like so many other deadlines have been, because of the covid-changed schedules) to "one NBA year"? If the latter, it will be available to use around the draft, but not in free agency.

Of course, if the new cap guru is worth his salt, an earlier deadline (if that's the situation) may not matter that much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 10:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: FWIW I wonder if the expiration date of TPE will be one calendar year? Or will it be adjusted (like so many other deadlines have been, because of the covid-changed schedules) to "one NBA year"? If the latter, it will be available to use around the draft, but not in free agency.

Of course, if the new cap guru is worth his salt, an earlier deadline (if that's the situation) may not matter that much.

I don’t know the answer either.  I tried to pay attention to the TPE’s created in the free agency period that occurred in November of 20.  Spotrac carried those to the next November instead of expiring in August this offseason.  I can’t think of any that were used in the period of time in question, so Spotrac could have been mistaken and no one would have been the wiser.
Like Reply
Could have used these guys tonight. Are we sure this deal is actually done?
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 11:01 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Could have used these guys tonight. Are we sure this deal is actually done?

Yes. KP's physical was approved.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1...9020127232
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shO98UPFMDg
Like Reply